Author Topic: RROD clamp fix set up's  (Read 1488 times)

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
RROD clamp fix set up's
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
just wondering what people use for the rrod clamp fix?
what bolt size? how many washers? or do you put the xclamp back on?
its been a good while since i fixed a rrod console
recently got a black elite jasper with everything for free  :tup: but it had the rrod  :confused:
i added some real no clean flux not that cheap crap from ebay that has a bunch of alcohol that evaporates as soon as you start heating it up and my griddle at 400 degrees and heated it with my temp and fan controlled heat gun booted right up when i tested it added some artic silver 5 now im wondering about the xclamp fix

any suggestions?

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:33:22 AM by 3D0kassiah »
Tracey: f off Rodent
rodent:i would of flew it to bill gates and shoved it up his a$$

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
Re: RROD clamp fix set up's
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 08:41:32 AM »
funny only time i ever seen jaspers get rrod is when someone else thought they were going to jtag or add leds or do something stupid like add a 12 volt fan mod.   or they tried to change the thermal paste and never got the X- clamps seated correctly when they put them back together.

Supplies:
8 M5 x 12mm philips  Head Screws
16 M5 Nylon Washers - 1 mm thick
32 M5 Steel Washers - 1 mm thick
 this all can be bought at a local hardware

some artice clean silver  paste and removal cleaner is all  you really need,  I would of checked it all over before you started working on it, I bet there is a issue with something that someone tried to do before you got it. and a simple fix.

If you do it right you need to drill out the cage and make the bolts go all the way thru the cage there is a tutorial here on the site if you need help
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:43:28 AM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
funny only time i ever seen jaspers get rrod is when someone else thought they were going to jtag or add leds or do something stupid like add a 12 volt fan mod.   or they tried to change the thermal paste and never got the X- clamps seated correctly when they put them back together.

Supplies:
8 M5 x 12mm philips  Head Screws
16 M5 Nylon Washers - 1 mm thick
32 M5 Steel Washers - 1 mm thick
 this all can be bought at a local hardware

some artice clean silver  paste and removal cleaner is all  you really need,  I would of checked it all over before you started working on it, I bet there is a issue with something that someone tried to do before you got it. and a simple fix.

If you do it right you need to drill out the cage and make the bolts go all the way thru the cage there is a tutorial here on the site if you need help

there was never a mod attempted the heatsinks has dirt clumps caked in there it was horrible i just vacuumed it and cleaned it with a toothbrush
the original thermal paste was also caked on
guess it overheated from all the junk in there dam shouldve taken a picture
thanks rodent will see if i can get those parts today

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
Now that you have it all cleaned up put some new arctic silver 5 paste and bend the X-clamps so there tighter and then put it together it should work fine, i am pretty sure it was just over heating and that is why it RROD.  probably over heated and now just shows 3 RROD due to it hasn't reset the console yet. everytime i have a console that has rrod usually can be reset and takes you to the set up screen where it will tell you this console needs to be in a ventilated area etc etc ... 

but try it and see might get lucky , like i said i have had alot of jaspers and havent seen one that has rrod , unless some one tried to take it apart or tried to mod or change something. and didn't get it back together the correct way

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline 3D0kassiah

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +19/-2
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 11:49:51 AM »
Now that you have it all cleaned up put some new arctic silver 5 paste and bend the X-clamps so there tighter and then put it together it should work fine, i am pretty sure it was just over heating and that is why it RROD.  probably over heated and now just shows 3 RROD due to it hasn't reset the console yet. everytime i have a console that has rrod usually can be reset and takes you to the set up screen where it will tell you this console needs to be in a ventilated area etc etc ... 

but try it and see might get lucky , like i said i have had alot of jaspers and havent seen one that has rrod , unless some one tried to take it apart or tried to mod or change something. and didn't get it back together the correct way

i got it from this lady i do hvac work for her son had it but went to ps3 after it rrod on them the son is only like 9 or something
plus when i took off the faceplate it had the sticker intact asked her where she got it from said brand new from walmart few yrs back
but yeah it had to be dirt and overheating i asked her where they had it she said on the carpet which we all know is a big no no
but after a mini quick reflow it booted right up and i did put some as5 running perfect i was just debating if i should attach the xclamp or do the fix
might do a complete mod on it rgh leds etc
thanks for the help rodent

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 01:16:18 PM »
Like Rodent Said, Bend The Xclamps Andreuse Them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal