Author Topic: Replacement laser  (Read 5489 times)

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Replacement laser
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:40:54 AM »
So I have a few xbox phats that have bad lasers in them. I bought new lasers and only one of the 4 xbox's work with the new lasers. Anyone know whats going on? I figured since the laser was new I would be able to plug it in and then it would work but so far only one of them was like that.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Replacement laser
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:30:23 AM »
none of them should work out of the box, you must remove the anti static bridge.

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 07:40:47 AM »
There is an anti static blub either on the ribbon or near the laser.

Take a soldering pencil and a solder sucker or solder wick and that should take the bridge off and everything should work fine.

The one that is working might be a problem since like matt said they are not supposed to work with the bridge on. You might have a defective unit unless they already took off the bridge for you but they are not suppose to do that in either case. 
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 07:52:36 AM »
yeah forgot to mention that i removed the anti static ball already..after that was removed i then installed them into the drive and only one of the 4 worked.. Im thinking of getting a multimeter anyone know what ohms it needs to be at. ive heard around 3k-6k ohms or something like that but i cant find a clear answer

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
One Thing AbouT Xbox 360, Is That The Laser Sits On2 Silver Rails. You Should Take Note Of The Screw Covered In Blue Glue. As This Is The Height Adjust From The Laser To The Disc. If You Just Screw It In All The Way, Then It Wont Read Any Disc. I Recently I.stalled A New HitAchi Laser And Didnt Realized This Myself. Took An Hour To Get The Right Height So Itll Read Both Origi.Al And Ba,Kups Fine.

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:08 AM »
which screw? the one that holds the rails on? or the one that screws into the laser and attaches to the rail that moves the laser

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
  • MODDER, REPAIR, CUSTOM IDEAS.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 08:07:46 AM »
yeah forgot to mention that i removed the anti static ball already..after that was removed i then installed them into the drive and only one of the 4 worked.. Im thinking of getting a multimeter anyone know what ohms it needs to be at. ive heard around 3k-6k ohms or something like that but i cant find a clear answer
its possible the mother board for the drive is bad  seen many have issues i replace drives all the time i seen every issue you could think of.

One Thing AbouT Xbox 360, Is That The Laser Sits On2 Silver Rails. You Should Take Note Of The Screw Covered In Blue Glue. As This Is The Height Adjust From The Laser To The Disc. If You Just Screw It In All The Way, Then It Wont Read Any Disc. I Recently I.stalled A New HitAchi Laser And Didnt Realized This Myself. Took An Hour To Get The Right Height So Itll Read Both Origi.Al And Ba,Kups Fine.
If you do not touch them screw then you shouldnt have to mess with the height . so many people do the wrong things when trying to fix drives

NOTE:  Laser operates 90 % of the drive activity meaning that when the laser reads the disk it sends a signal to the spindle and the worm gear motor.  they work as a team.   
ete
I would say if you replaced the the laser and still having a issue  if you have a old drive that you can take the magnet and see what the drive is doing witht he top off will give you better judgement of what the drive is doing.  and what to replace next like a spindle or worm gear motor. or possible the motherboard for the drive,

which screw? the one that holds the rails on? or the one that screws into the laser and attaches to the rail that moves the laser
do not mess with the adjustment screws on that hold the rails up off the dock !!!! leave them alone!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 08:09:57 AM by Rodent »

Tracey: I cant believe Rodent of all people made my damn day
3D0: snacks cartoons and naps  lol sounds like rodents typcial day :rofl:
Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:33:30 AM »
so which screws dont i mess with? the red or the blue? just wanna make sure i dont mess with them..or are they not in this picture?

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:42 AM »
so which screws dont i mess with? the red or the blue? just wanna make sure i dont mess with them..or are they not in this picture?

neither! The ones undeneithe the rods do not touch there locktite in do not mess with the ones that prop the rods up off the doc.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 11:09:23 AM »
Ok good I know I haven't messed with them since these are the only ones I've taken off lol. Well I'm going to get a multimeter tonight since it seems some lasers can be off a bit even from the factory so ill read what the ohms are and dial it down by .2 till it starts working.

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 06:16:29 AM »
well I got a multimeter last night and I started messing around with the lasers that didnt work. the one I started with was set to 6.23 from the factory so i started bumping it down by.2. I went all the way to 3.30 and never found the sweet spot. at 4.83 it would read every couple of tries but it would only read BF3. If I put in MW3 or black ops 2 it would only read them after a bunch of tries. anyone know what im doing wrong? or if the laser is dead from the factory?

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 06:24:46 AM »
is your drive making loud noises or grinding noises?

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 06:53:34 AM »
nope all sounds good..the laser moves fine. its all working like its supposed to its just not reading games

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:27:49 AM »
Then Either The Laser You Bought Are No Good Or The Dvd Drive Board Needs To Be Replaced.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 04:46:15 PM »
Then Either The Laser You Bought Are No Good Or The Dvd Drive Board Needs To Be Replaced.
Agreed.  or your anti static point might not be clean enough.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
yeah I gave up on that xbox for the moment. Now Im working on a slim. The laser works fine but the motor that moves the laser back and forth has stopped working some times. Is there any places that sell replacement motors? I took a working motor out of another drive that i know works and the slim works 100% now, but seeing as the other xbox didnt have any problems I need a replacement motor.

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 06:32:24 AM »
yeah I gave up on that xbox for the moment. Now Im working on a slim. The laser works fine but the motor that moves the laser back and forth has stopped working some times. Is there any places that sell replacement motors? I took a working motor out of another drive that i know works and the slim works 100% now, but seeing as the other xbox didnt have any problems I need a replacement motor.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laser-Worm-Motor-For-XBOX-360-Slim-Lite-On-DG-16D4S-DG-16D5S-DVD-Drive-032ACP-/370754931283?pt=US_Video_Gaming_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item5652b74a53

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
Awesome thanks Rodent!

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2013, 06:22:04 PM »
Awesome thanks Rodent!
welcome if you need any thing else just ask :)

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
So for this other xbox that I cannot get the laser to work in I was thinking of getting a new drive but I have no idea how to get the keys or whatever you have to do when you get a new drive. Is it pretty basic or would i be in over my head since ive never done one?

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 07:33:50 AM »
if the dvd drive board is still good. then you would just swap out the boards. from the old to the new. providing you buy the same drive model number

Offline Rodent

• XBOX,XBOX360,PS3,WII
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +75/-5
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 07:42:48 AM »
So for this other xbox that I cannot get the laser to work in I was thinking of getting a new drive but I have no idea how to get the keys or whatever you have to do when you get a new drive. Is it pretty basic or would i be in over my head since ive never done one?
If its a lite on dvd drive , doesnt matter which drive it is after 13599 dashboard, they changed all the firmwares so there all the same after that, you can swap the board no problem at all 

if its benq drive you will need a benq  if its a hitachi drive they all use the same drive but different firmwares on the boards all you have to do is swap the board . I have done this a few times.

Rodent consoles mods

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 07:47:25 AM »
awesome so say i have a benq all i would have to do is buy a new benq and then disconnect the board from my non working drive and swap it into the new drive and it should work? if so then that will be really easy and save me the trouble of having to pot tweak this laser to death

Offline Gizmo613

• MFH
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +17/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 08:37:39 AM »
that is correct

Offline Brennidon

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User