Author Topic: Controller leds  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Ainzi

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Controller leds
« on: February 13, 2014, 04:24:00 AM »
Hi there I'm new to the site hope everyone's well iv been changing the leds in the controllers iv done about 5 up to yet all ok but the 6th one when I plug the battery pack in but not turn the controller on a few light up really dim has any one ever had this ?? Is it trying to back feed through something ? 

Sent from my banana phone

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Controller leds
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 06:56:44 AM »
This happens sometimes when the LED is over heated = trashed LEDs. or try adding a small bit of solder to the sides of the leds.

Offline Ainzi

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Controller leds
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 03:05:53 PM »
Would they not work at all when the controller is powered up tho if they was trashed and do mean putting solder to the sides of the leds meaning there might not be enough

Thanks for the reply

Offline RyanF

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +6/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:09:07 PM »
Would they not work at all when the controller is powered up tho if they was trashed and do mean putting solder to the sides of the leds meaning there might not be enough

Thanks for the reply

Actually, I have damaged a few LEDs in the past by setting my iron to 850F instead of the lower temps.  They don't have to look brown or show any form of damage to be burnt from the inside out.  I find the 0603 LEDs are very sensitive to overheating, so make sure you solder quickly.  I'm very skilled at soldering and can make my joints look like welds if I need to and have had some success with soldering to 0603 without damaging the LED at 850F, but I have only about a half second before it burns at that temp.  As said before, try redoing your solder joints and if the LED still doesn't light completely, replace it.

Soldering at 60w isn't recommended, but I have it and like using the highest temps possible.  One of the workers at my dad's company thought a board I repaired was ordered in from the manufacturer.  That was a good day for me  :winker:

Offline Ainzi

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Controller leds
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:00:27 AM »
Iv got a 60w iron and once i know the leds are in the right place I jst touch the side of the led to make it hold on then tap the other side so don't think there burnt out

Might just be not connected well enough but why when I turn the controller fully on they go out ??

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:08:11 AM »
I use a 15W for controllers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal