Buy - Sell - Trade > Modders For Hire

Will Partner with person who can prototype Online Genesis

(1/2) > >>

tripletopper:
I have an idea on how to network older video games without rewriting new code for individual games.   I called around and found that Anthony Gaccione of Sega said that if I can show a Sega game being networked with the original cartridge/disc , they'll license Net Genesises (plus master System, Sega CD, 32X, 32XCD, Saturn and Dreamcast, four of those other systems could be done right now.)

I found a company who can build 2 prototypes and draw up plans for a mass manufacturer to make Net Genesises for $18,000 cash in research costs and 10% of my profits.

If you want to either a) build a device to my specifications that should network the Genesis, b) fund the $18000, or c) start preliminary work and have this research company finish it, I'll offer a percentage of my idea.   To give you an idea, this company after taking $18,000 will take 10% of my idea.    This gives you an idea on how to make it worth my while.

I know it can exist with things currently in the market, including the key connection to make it work.  I just don't know how to wire items, or code well enough at a machine level to do something I desire

I know the one secret to getting this to work with EVERY game with minimal labor.   Please email me with your terms and we'll discuss it.  Note this will be a licensed Sega product if we can get it to work with ANY Sega-authorized game.   Look up AcidMods account "tripletopper" to email me.

Modded Matt:
The biggest problem you are going to run into is that back then there was no networking, so the games were not designed with multiplayer in mind.  If you look at FSD and Link for modded xbox 360, you will see that without changing the programming of the game, the hardware can only function if the game has provisions for it.

I love the enthusiasm and initiative, but I don't see a market for such an endeavor and will have to pass. Good luck.

FYI, there is a genesis emulator for modded xbox 360's. I fell you would be better off perfecting the emulator and working with FSD/Link to establish a multiplayer platform on their existing network.

tripletopper:
All right, I'll tell the secret to this working.  It's a low-ping connection, like Sprint Direct Connect.  If you can communicate in less than half a frame, then EVERY game, no matter how great or obscure will be turned online, assuming it has a 2-player mode.  Sprint has 1 ms one-way ping time for distances up from 200-300 km worth of distance.  A 60 frame/second game has a 16 ms heartbeat.  If you are able to communicate in 8 ms one way and allow an 8 ms response time, you don't need a special network code for games.   This can work in theory with every game system, but I got Sega saying they like to concept enough where they'll license a Genesis if it works.

As for speed, a standard voice connection is 33kb/s, which is 33 b/ms.   A standard Genesis controller has 8 bits, N, S, E, W, A, B, C, and Start. A 6 button controller has 4 more buttons, X, Y, Z, and Mode  So that's 12 bits/frame.   Sprint said they could eventually do high-speed low-ping conections, but it can't be done now.   So 33 b/ms is the limit.   Also if you go beyond one ms, the range is reduced.  Any 2 player game will fit.   A 4 player game may fit, if you're 200 km closer than the absolute maximum of 1600 km. (assuming the network is 2/3 efficient.)

I've given my secret to do the seemingly impossible.   Any takers?

hyper999:
I believe this is how Dolphin emulator works for playing multi-player Wii and GC (Smash Bros and Project M :D) over the internet. I think what it does is essentially run the Game on one device and then just swap display and controller data with the other.

tripletopper:
Does Dolphin, Project M and Smash Bros. use Sprint Direct Connect (or something else that can do 1 ms per 200-300 km distance and is a direct path)?

But my secret is to use a low ping internet connection.   The advantage is that EVERY game can be turned online by simply being within range, which can be up to 1600 km distance, without programming individual netcodes for individual games.   The disadvantage is that if you want it to work outside this range, you have to program an individual gamer's server to ref the game.  Whether you want to program an outside server depends on the popularity of the game.  Super Smash Brothers 64 or Melee is WAY more likely than M.A.D. for the 2600 to have a specific server programmed for it.   But M.A.D will work just as well as SSB if you use my technique and are in range. 

The regular network is limited is because it pings to quite a few off places to get to its destination, going from Cleveland to Denver, I went to Chicago, Atlanta, and Phoenix before gong to Denver.  Some ping jobs are even worse using a standard network.  Typical ping times between Cleveland and Chicago are 40 ms.  Which should be 4 ms if it was at the speed of light in a direct path.  If I'm able to tap into a more direct network, more games can be turned online by simply being in range.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version