Author Topic: Help with controller mod  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Bond679

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Help with controller mod
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:03:02 PM »
Could someone please point me to a tutorial for adding an extra A and B button to a matrix board.  I am going to try this for the first time and don't want to jack it up too horribly bad.

Thanks

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Help with controller mod
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:51 PM »
Connect the A1 and A2 spots to your new button for A, then B1 and B2 spots for the new B button.

Wired Matrix

Wireless Matrix

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Bond679

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »
I guess that I need to desolder the trigger pentiometer to remove the housing to get to those??

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:36:33 PM »
If you follow the traces and use alternate spots or prep a Via in the open you don't have to. Those are just the easiest ones to use, after the Trigger has been removed, and then it needs to have the plastic cut away a bit so it's not pinching the wires when it's reinstalled.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Bond679

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 05:31:03 PM »
RDC I really appreciate your time.  Could I use vias on the other side of the board? I think ive got them figured out but maybe you could give me a push in the right direction.  I can see where I would much rather use the reverse side to keep wires away from the rubber pads but I have never removed anything from a board and dont know how bad I would mess it up.  Is soldering the button pads like I see so many others do problematic? It seems that scratching and soldering to those pads would get in the way of button function.

Thanks
KB

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 07:17:21 PM »
You can use any place you like as long as it's on those lines.

Wired Matrix

Wireless Matrix

If you're careful, and don't use a large wire, 30awg at most, you can solder to the edge of the actual button contacts, but I personally don't care for that method.

Offline Bond679

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 08:40:43 PM »
Excellent. As soon as I get a day off, I will give it a whirl.

Again

Thanks

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:43:25 PM »
Welcome.

Offline Bond679

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Well Sunday I modified a controller.  It even works.  Its not pretty on the inside but it is fully functional.  I tried a second time on another matrix board, made even better solders but somehow killed the A and B buttons... checked the traces and don't think I cut one so I'm on to controller three,  a CG2.  RDC is there anyway I could get diagrams similar to the first ones that you sent me for a matrix.  The ones for dummys, the solder here here and here type.  I have the trace diagrams of the CG2 that you posted but want to make sure.  I am hoping that I can just solder twice on the top of the board to the A and B +'s and use a common ground on the back.  I have already searched around for those diagrams but cannot find.

Thanks
KB

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »
It's difficult to actually kill the buttons on the controllers, unless you're intentionally trying. Remove whatever you have soldered up to the one with the dead A and B buttons and see if either works. If so, you just had some solder shorting something and can redo it, if not, look for a damaged trace or possibly solder some other place it shouldn't be.

There are no such diagrams for the CG version boards, as they don't have the solder joints from components on the button lines like the Matrix versions do. You'll have to solder to a Via, trace or the button contacts on the CG version boards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal