Author Topic: Looking to mod ECCI wheel with Xbox one controller  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Corecritical

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Looking to mod ECCI wheel with Xbox one controller
« on: December 26, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
Hello all, I'm new here and would appreciate and advice or direction.

I'm looking to mod my ECCI wheel and pedals with a Xbox one controller for Forza racing. I believe the ECCI has 10k pots. There are 4 - brake, gas, clutch, left/right. Plus several discrete buttons.  After reading some of the threads, and watching vids of scuf controller jobs, I have to believe it possible to hack the controller for my purpose. 

I'm looking for a place to start. Thanks.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Looking to mod ECCI wheel with Xbox one controller
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 04:01:13 AM »
The value of the POTs is really irrelevant, they could be 10k or 100k and still work the same if you want to go that route. The only real issue you'll run into there is that the controller is calibrated to the sticks that are in it, so you may need to fiddle with that some so the center and end points all work correctly.

What you want to do is possible, but that's going to be an extremely crippled wheel when it's all done. Racing games like Forza distinguish between a controller and a wheel controller, so some options and layout aren't available when using one versus the other. Also one of the best things when using a wheel versus a controller will be gone when doing a hack like that with a controller, the Force Feedback.

If I were going to hack up a $1k+ ECCI wheel, I'd at least get one of the XB1 wheels that are out now and use the guts from it versus using a standard controller, both for the FF and any firmware upgrades later on that the wheel may support.

If you don't care about the FF or want to drop a few more bills on an XB1 wheel to use for the transplant, you can use a controller, but it's been done before on every other system to date and the results are never as good as even the crappiest wheel for the same system.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

WHITE 4ND N3RDY

Re: Looking to mod ECCI wheel with Xbox one controller
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 07:50:28 AM »
Try going to http://controllermax.com/forums/ and see if your wheel is compatible with the CM USB. Its the price of a controller and allows you to do soooo many different applications such as using starring wheels that were origionally intended for a different console.

I would register to the forums and basically describe what your trying to accomplish and their fast freindly staff will Awnser your questions promptly. Save yourself the headache and see if your wheel is compatible with the CM.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 08:01:54 AM by WHITE 4ND N3RDY »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal