Author Topic: JDM-055 charges fine but no PS button (SOLVED)  (Read 533 times)

Offline wrx884

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
JDM-055 charges fine but no PS button (SOLVED)
« on: January 14, 2023, 08:11:04 PM »
Hey i have a couple of these controllers with the same issue. Both controllers charge fine and work if connected via usb cable but wont connect with their own Bluetooth wirelessly or with a cable. The PS button doesn't do anything so i cant link these wirelessly.

Charge ports are fine.
Flex ribbon cables are good.
Batteries are good charge and hold 3.7v
Flexi thin PCB for the buttons are good, have swapped with known working ones, even cleaned the originals.
Cleaned touch pads on the JDM-055 PCB itself.
Tried shims in case these connections were no good, no change.

Now if i connect these to a PC i can check each button and all work fine except for the PS button so my issue must be on that line somewhere. What IC controls the PS button? as far as i can tell with a meter all vias connected to both sides of the board are good too. no spills on the PCBs.

cheers for any help.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:42:38 PM by wrx884 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: JDM-055 charges fine but no PS button
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 08:34:52 PM »
https://acidmods.com/forum/index.php/topic,44645.0.html

PS button goes right to the MCU. There is a Pull-Up on that line and a Capacitor also. If the Cap was bad and shorted then PS would be pressed all the time, so I'd rule that out. The PU could be bad, or missing, though I'd think PS would just act all iffy in that case. If it's intact, then the MCU isn't seeing it and about all you can do is to try resetting the controller or replace the MCU.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline wrx884

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 10:16:10 PM »
OK great thanks i managed to find what you were talking about, resetting the controller does nothing unfortunately. I've tested c17 and R66 which show no shorts at all so i think u might be right the MCU just isn't seeing it so i think that needs replacing. If i buy some of these IC's i will update this thread in the future thanks for the help so far.

Just to add i tested the tactile button too which is good.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 10:17:38 PM by wrx884 »

Offline wrx884

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 11:42:09 PM »
Ok with the aid of the schematics given i managed to find the issue was the touch pads on the PCB itself, mainly just the PS button related one. I couldn't get continuity properly to the c17 cap so i borrowed a cheap micro scope and found what appeared to be cracks in the black coating on the PCB (you cant see it with a naked eye). Removed that top layer and added a new coating and what do u know i have connection again. strange this was the same issue for both controllers but none the less it fixed the issues with out the need of replacing that MCU IC.

For some reason i cant seem to upload photos but if i find a way i will do so.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal