Author Topic: [HELP!] Xbox one controller stick going to the left  (Read 1925 times)

Offline soyrandom1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
[HELP!] Xbox one controller stick going to the left
« on: August 01, 2018, 02:50:42 PM »
Hello! I'm trying to fix this xbox one controller. It's left stick is always going to the left.
I tried changing the potentiometer but it didn't work. Also i changed the 8.6nF capacitor from the x axis, because it wasn't very nice but that didn't fix it.
I traced the serial pin from the potentiometer to the microcontroller and it's connected.
Also i checked if the potentiometer was receiving the correct voltage and it does (this post was very useful https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=43204.0)
I also "baked" the pcb, hopping that some SMD soldering maybe wasn't doing good contact but nothing!
Something i noticed is that if i bend the pcb i do get some values, but only negatives ones (-0.8 or -1)
i'm using this web page to test the controller http://html5gamepad.com
Any other thing i should check?  :help: :help: :help:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: [HELP!] Xbox one controller stick going to the left
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:04:23 PM »
Is it just very slowly drifting to the left on it's own? or is it more like it is fully pressed to the left?

What happens when you move the Stick to the Right?
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline soyrandom1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 10:54:31 AM »
Its fully pressed to the left. If i move it to the right nothing happends

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 11:51:02 AM »
Which version of controller is this? The sticker in the battery compartment has the model number.

Check all 3 pins of that POT with a meter and see what they measure voltage wise. They each have a Ground, Wiper (center one) and Voltage (AN+) lead. Use one of the 4 big solder lugs for the reference (ground) for the meter and you should get 0v on one of the outside leads (ground) then 1.8v on the other outside lead. The center lead should be around 0.9v on a working POT, then vary from around 0v to around 1.8v when moved.

If you measure

#1 - 0v, 0v, 1.8v - There is a short between the Ground lead and the Wiper lead.

#2 - 0v, 1.8v, 1.8v - There is a short between the AN+ lead and the Wiper lead. Could also be an open on the Ground lead.

#3 - 0v, 0v, 0v - There is an open on the AN+ lead.

#1 and #3 will cause the same issue, Stick being pressed full Left.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline soyrandom1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 04:04:48 PM »
Hello! Sorry for the late response. I'm getting 1.8, 0.9 and 0v on my pot pins, so i dont think that is the problem :/

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 04:57:11 PM »
That's normal for one that is working, so that makes 0 sense. That 0.9v on the center lead should change from 1.8v to 0v (or close enough to it) when you move the stick side to side.

Offline soyrandom1

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 12:26:09 PM »
It does change, the potentiometer. works perfectly. I did check continuity from the pot to the microcontroller and it looks alright. maybe i should try re-wiring it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal