Author Topic: Trying to repair a JDM-040. Missing parts values.  (Read 2313 times)

Offline LSL

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Trying to repair a JDM-040. Missing parts values.
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:31:28 AM »

I bought a defective JDM. The last owner said the Joystick was working, but does not sync via USB with my PS4 and does not charge.

I was able to sync via bluetooth (PS + Share buttons)

I opened and saw three missing components. Could you help me with the values of the components?

Could these missing components be the cause of non-sync via USB? I observed the communication line with the oscilloscope and when connecting the USB cable the communication of type USB2.0 is started (according to USB specification) and then is interrupted.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Trying to repair a JDM-040. Missing parts values.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 04:59:08 PM »
#1 is a Resistor, 100k, 0402
#2 is a Capacitor, 2.2uF, 0603
#3 is a Resistor, 100ohm, 0402

The Capacitor missing probably isn't causing any issues, but the Resistors for sure are. Without a schematic to know exactly how they are used in there and what they are connected to there's no way to know what issues it would cause with them missing.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline LSL

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 12:35:49 PM »
Thank you for helping!

I will search this components in a PS3 motherboard. Unfortunately this components (PS3) are bigger than DS4 .

I will post news!

The left analog was changed before buying this JDM-040, so I think that was the reason for the loss of the components. I saw that at the soldering points of the left analog there is a slight elevation of the board layer. I hope it has not affected any internal layer responsible for USB communication.

When I sync via Bluetooth all buttons work.

Offline LSL

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 02:12:04 PM »
#1 is a Resistor, 100k, 0402
#2 is a Capacitor, 2.2uF, 0603
#3 is a Resistor, 100ohm, 0402

The Capacitor missing probably isn't causing any issues, but the Resistors for sure are. Without a schematic to know exactly how they are used in there and what they are connected to there's no way to know what issues it would cause with them missing.

Thanks again for your help, RDC!

I confess that previously I had already placed a resistor for component #1 and #3, compared to old boards (JDM-001, JDM-011) had placed a 100K resistor in component #1 and #3. I left #2 without capacitor. Control still not sync and unidentified by the PC. Then I put some capacitor(another value) in #2 and the problem continued.

I changed the #3 from 100K to 100 Ohm and the speaker audio improved, before the audio was weird. I tested and it still didn't sync.

Finally I put the 2.2uf capacitor in #2 and when testing on PS4 the controller started charging and later synced, I went to test on PC via USB and also synced, so this 2.2uf capacitor seems to be very important for USB sync. I went to check the capacitor track and it is interconnected in a transistor responsible for USB communication.

It was a mistake not to do with component #2 what I previously did with component #1, which was to compare the board of another DS4 and follow the tracks of the transistor that is part of USB communication.

Sorry my English!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 04:59:09 AM »
Welcome.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal