Author Topic: Can't get full 100% travel on new analog sticks  (Read 3446 times)

Offline VaNDAL_UK

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • UBER MICRO REPAIRS
Can't get full 100% travel on new analog sticks
« on: February 05, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
I'm really frustrated here...

Been replacing analog sticks in controllers for over 6 yeears now but this last few days every analog I replace in a ps4 controller JDM-040 DJM-050 JDM-055 I cannot get 100% stick travel.

All center correctly to with in 0.05% so happy with that. They all go to 100% without the cap and not in the shell. Once the caps are on and in the top shell 85%travel is all I can get.

All controllers are genuine shells and caps.

Analog sticks 100% genuine ALPS I've just took delivery from Mouser and they all do the same.

Tried different shells, different caps, different software (windows, DS4, Xbox controller tester all my usual ones) All have the same readings.

Transplanted an analog from another controller same thing. Same with and XBOX analog in a PS4 controller.

This is on 5 different controllers, different % on both X and Y axis, never 100% travel. I don't get it. I know WTF I'm doing I've servised thousands of controllers.

I'm F*£king lost on this.

Has there been a FW update to the controllers recently?

Anyone else had this issue?

This will be the end of my repair business!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 01:31:21 PM by VaNDAL_UK »

Offline VaNDAL_UK

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • UBER MICRO REPAIRS
Re: Can't get full 100% travel on new analog sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 05:25:38 AM »
Also had a run of 4 JDM-055 pads that are either dead or only work on USB, even with a full battery, no power.

Checking over the board and the IC "s2pg001a 60680bd w1816" gets hot. This IC is no where to be found to buy.

Having another crack at the two JDM-055 pads I have on my healing bench tonight to see if I can sort out this travel issue.

I wish the Sony software to re-calibrate the sticks was released from China had several suppliers state they have it. The only software I've found is to re-flash the fake PS4 controllers that suffer with freezing. Which is useless as I don't touch 3rd party controllers.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:13:52 AM »
Which series Sticks are you using? Could be they changed the operating angle along the line somewhere or there's a tolerance issue and it's different from the originals and the controllers are being calibrated to that spec now. Sony will have boned everyone that needs to do a stick swap if that's the case.

Probably not what you're going to do there, and I don't blame you, but I'd get a mini-lathe, setup a jig and turn down the shaft of the Sticks so the things moved farther in the shell to get that range back. Shouldn't take but around 1-2mm at the most to come off there. Is it ideal? Not by a long shot. Will it work? Yep. ;)

That S2PG001A is a real busy body. They used to have a handful of dedicated chips for doing this and that, now they have it all crammed into just 2 on the board, makes it so 1 rotten apple spoils the whole bunch.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline VaNDAL_UK

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
    • UBER MICRO REPAIRS
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
Thinning out the shaft under the cap was what I was thinking! I have another in front of me now JDM-055. Right stick drift. I kept the module in and only replaced the X axis pot for a brand new one from Mouser. I'm getting perfect centering with in 0.3% push full right 100% push full left 85%!!!!!

I've clipped off all the nubs and rotated the body of the pot maked no difference! Only to the centre +- 8% full travel rotating does nothing!

Thats it JDM-055 are dead, Can't advertise PS4 controller repairs because you can't tell from the shell if it is a JDM-055.

RDC: Would be nice to see if you get the same results when you come across one of these pads?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
I don't get as many controllers across the ole bench as I once used to, but when/if I run across one I'll see what I can find there.

That 85% both ways makes far more sense than the 85%<>100% issue you're having now though.

There either has to be something up with the Stick modules or the controller firmware, and if it were FW related I'd expect far more people to be having problems and some rampant (albeit justified) griping about it online.

Have you done any Resistance checks on these new sticks? Both static and over their motion range? If that checks weird then the voltage they'll output will also be off.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline BattleBeaverCustoms

• Guppy
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 07:57:02 PM »
I bet I can help ease your frustrations a bit. I would also say (without sounding like a jerk) that my shop replaces the most thumbsticks mechanisms that we have come into contact with.

There are two Jdm-055 boards. One comes with the green pot/blue bottom alps mechs the other with orange/black mechs. Which are you trying to replace? From the initial post I would bet a silver dollar that you are attempting to put an ALPS RKJXV1224005 on an orange mech board.

Shed some more info on the scenario and I will try to help out.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
you are trying to replace ORANGE stick with GREEN. no way it could work. orange stick have 20% tolerance possible, so to make things work u have to take bunch of orange sticks, solder DIP bed and select most suitable one. ds4 stores factory calibration in chip, you cant do anything with it.
p.s. there are 2 ways to bypass this issue. arduino and second resistor.
p.p.s. can u show photo of alps from mouser ? especially side with alps engrave.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 11:31:19 AM by wickated »

Offline Defcon 5

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 10:32:45 AM »
How would you use a resistor in this situation?

Offline TvBreeze

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 08:34:50 AM »
Hi Guys, any update on this issue? I have been having it as well with the ALPS RKJXV1224005 from mouser.. they dont recommend for "newer models" assuming jdm 055. Having to cut the 2 legs underneath to get more travel but not totally flat. I am getting the issue outside of JDM 50/55. How have you all dealt with it?

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2020, 09:04:03 AM »
the ALPS RKJXV1224005 from mouser..
still wanna photo of this.
ways to make things work normal
1) make sure joystick mechanism is centered. there are plenty of ds4 where stick is not centered physically. if not, never change mechanism (metal box with joystick), only side resistors
2) check resistance of weared resistor and replace with most suitable one, you can go only in positive bias direction (new resistor can be with more resistance but not lesser). simpliest way is to have tons of resistors to actually find suitable
3) add microresistor in parallel to recenter. u have to do some heavy calculations for this way

Offline TvBreeze

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2020, 01:31:29 PM »

Thanks for replying @ Wickated

Offline TvBreeze

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User