Author Topic: Power Issue on JDM-040  (Read 2401 times)

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Power Issue on JDM-040
« on: March 19, 2020, 07:53:50 AM »
Hello all!

I was recently doing a simple shell swap using a JDM-040.  Should have been pretty straight forward.  I also had a JDM-011 apart and accidentally plugged the touchpad from the JDM-011 into the JDM-040 mainboard.  Lesson learned there...  The controller woke up briefly after doing so but will now no longer power on.  I get the pulsing orange light still when I attach power from USB but it is not detectable by the PS4 via USB or bluetooth.

I recently started getting into diagnosing/fixing components on motherboards so I was hoping someone might be able to suggest where I start looking first to determine which components I likely caused to be faulty.  I have access to all the appropriate tools to perform the fix - just hoping to see if anyone has any suggestions where to start looking.  Unfortunately I do not have another JDM-040 on-hand to perform side-by-side tests to see what is considered normal.

With the extra time I'm spending at home now, I figured this might turn into a good learning exercise regarding board repair so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Power Issue on JDM-040
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 12:31:18 PM »
stupid question - did you remove the touchpad from the jdm-011? When You connecting ds4 on usb, is something warming up? can you measure current consumption?

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 12:45:48 PM »
Once I started up the JDM-040, the touchpad (from JDM-011) was warm to the touch and ultimately how I knew something was wrong (besides the obvious no power).  I swapped the correct touchpad in and as best as I can tell, nothing else on the mainboard gets warm to the touch.  Even with the incorrect touchpad, the only abnormal heat I noticed was generated by the wrong touchpad (specifically from the small IC on the JDM-011 touchpad).  Haven't investigated yet if I caused harm to that piece yet.

Just to be clear again, it's a JDM-040 board that I accidentally plugged a JDM-011 touchpad into.  Realized what I did when the JDM-011 touchpad got warm and now the JDM-040 won't power on or communicate to the PS4 via bluetooth or USB.  When USB power is plugged in, the only life I get is the pulsing orange charging light.

I have a USB current tester I'll try this evening and see what the controller is drawing exactly.  Thanks!

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 05:13:37 PM »
Pulling about 520mA with a pulsing orange light.

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
it's not a good idea to charge the ds4 from powerbank. First of all, I would look at the board for broken chips. then check for a short circuit on the board - check all capacitors in the area of this chip.

Touch the chip while charging - is it warming?

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2020, 05:44:51 PM »
Hrm, as best as I can tell, everything seems normal.  I've just ordered another conductive film to see if that's actually the problem.  Appreciate the feedback so far!

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 05:33:43 PM »
So new film arrived today.  I installed it and at first I thought I got a faulty film.  The R2 button is acting like it being pressed, ever so slightly - enough to activate it.  So after a fair bit of troubleshooting, I ended up completely stripping everything down to just the bare boards: JDM-040 and the JDS-040.  So no film or buttons connected and it's still registering as being slightly pressed.  Any ideas what could be causing it?  I checked all caps and no shorts that I can tell around the board.  There is no inappropriate heat being generated on any chips.  I'm really at a loss as to what's wrong with this board...

Here is the output from DS4SWindows:

And here is just bare JDM-040 with nothing else attached to press R2:

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 12:34:15 AM »

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 09:10:01 AM »
Thanks for this.  Definitely makes sense.  Unfortunately I'm getting the same behavior with both films installed now.  Under close inspection, I did notice that the pins on my JDS-040 to JDM-040 flex cable aren't in the best condition - likely from being plugged in and out so many times now.  They're starting to lift off the cable itself and I'm wondering if that may be the culprit since I get the same behavior with both daughter boards.  The markings say it is a AWM 2896 80C VW-1.  It measures 7mm wide and 75mm long.  Type A since the connections are on the same side.

Other than finding a replacement JDS-040 with the included ribbon cable, does anyone happen to know where I could buy just the ribbon cable to see if that fixes my issue?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 09:10:29 AM by cykotix »

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
just evenly cut the damaged piece with scissors or a scalpel.

Further, some information about the pinout of the connector, which RDC provided in another topic:

1   - 5v
2   - 5v
3   - LED+
4   - BLUE-
5   - RED-
6   - GREEN-
7   - GND
8   - GND
9   - D-
10 - D+
11 - GND
12 - GND

Offline cykotix

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 09:03:19 PM »
Is there a difference between a green vs blue ribbon circuit board for a JDM-040?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal