Author Topic: PSA: There is a new revision of JDM-055  (Read 1288 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
PSA: There is a new revision of JDM-055
« on: August 20, 2020, 10:13:41 PM »
I descovered the hard way that there is a NEW version of JDM-055 controller (The Covedition?) that is not part-compatible with the older JDM-055. The board and touchpad are made by a different manufacturer, and are not cross compatible with older boards / touchpads. The USB port is new as well but maintains compatibility.
Here are some pictures. The boards are ALMOST identical, but have some slight differences in the testpoints / pads for additional resistors

As a bonus, I also discovered there is a v2 of the top shell - this one pre-dates COVID-19 however, but the clips on the top side of the shell have been VASTLY improved. This is a welcome update as these clips were very prone to breaking.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: PSA: There is a new revision of JDM-055
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 12:57:26 AM »
There are already 3 sub versions of that board, this makes the 4th one. The JDM-011 has 2 and so does the JDM-050. Probably more of them are like that, but I haven't seen them all. ;)

So why exactly can't those boards can't be straight swapped with each other? Shell differences aside, because they have been doing that mess since day 1 on every revision change.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 02:26:15 AM »
Actually the shells are 100% compatible this time. The changed (IMPROVED :D :D) clips on the shells don't break compatibility and both pre-covid and post-covid boards come in the same plastic shells (seen in 2 electric purple controllers this time)

What is different is it seems to be a new / different manufacturer of touchpad and PCB. I noticed this with the JDM-030's as well, some touchpads won't work with some 030 controllers, vice versa. The new covidition JDM-055's use a touchpad from what looks like a different manufacturer.

The following is speculation. I can't confirm any of this

The ribbon cable appears to be branded, i can only assume for the touchpad manufacturer because i see no reason otherwise that they wouldn't just use the cheap generically marked ribbon cable like they did on past controllers. I BELIEVE the controller and main board talk over SPI - it could be I2C or any other standard micros like this use. I'd assume that the touchpads used in the covid edition controllers use a different address or protocol than the pre-covid 055's but i can't confirm this. If they did indeed switch to a new PCB manufacturer it would explain the difference, and also explain why until now 040, 055, and 050 controller touchpads were cross compatible if they all came from the same old factory.

I'm also kind of interested in what changed in the previous revisions, as I haven't noticed anything different in JDM-055 models before now.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:30:06 AM by MCorgano »

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:52 AM »
actually 001,011,030,040 had aboyt 4-5 subrevisions, but mostly compatible.020 is most awkward
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:37:52 AM by wickated »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:44:14 AM »
Thanks, I'll have to try and get one of those now and toss the LA on them both to see what is up there.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 03:39:40 AM »
actually 001,011,030,040 had aboyt 4-5 subrevisions, but mostly compatible.020 is most awkward
I've never noticed any differences in sub versions before apart from the 030's - they also had a split where there were two different incompatible version of touchpad

What is the story with the 020 anyway? it always seemed to me like "just another 011" as all the plastic was the same and the touchpad and usb were compatible

Is there a place anywhere that documents all the versions?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal