Author Topic: XBOX One S is powering ON and OFF immediately after a free fall  (Read 956 times)

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Hi everyone,  new case today. An XBOX One S brought by customer. The console fell from 1 meter height and I had a broken power supply for starters (the console was not showing any sign of power at all) ,  which I have replaced.

Now it does power on, but immediately goes off. Usually this means grounded 12V rail,  but checked out the connector on the board and there is no short of 12V rail. That means it is not the 3 mosfets that are usually the fault.

I checked the board further and comparing to another one,  I found all the capacitors next to the RAM chips,  shorted. First time I encounter such. What could be the issue? The gate?

See the attached photos with the marked capacitors that short out on the board.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: XBOX One S is powering ON and OFF immediately after a free fall
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »
@RDC do you have any idea?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »
Haven't really touched any of those boards, but it's highly doubtful all of those Caps are each actually shorted. They are all most likely on the same rail in there, so all are in parallel, and only 1 of them, or anything else that is also on that same rail, has the actual short.

See what the voltage on that rails is supposed to be, then inject that voltage and find the component(s) that is heating up first.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 04:03:19 PM »
The customer decided to not wait for repair,  I returned it back and he bought new... The mystery will remain unsolved...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal