Author Topic: JDM-055 problem  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
JDM-055 problem
« on: August 26, 2020, 02:45:57 AM »
Hello everyone, I have a ds4 JDM-055. After a while the left stick began to drift. I've desoldered both potentiometers, cleaned them and soldered them back.

After that, ds4 didn't turn on, didn't connect to the PC, no backlight at all. I disassembled the ds4, examined the board and found the shorted capacitor.

After desoldering the capacitor, the short circuit remained. After assembly, it turned out that it only works with a wire.
This is already the second case for me, when after the simplest replacement of the potentiometer the chip fails and ds4 works with cable only(. What could it be or what am I doing wrong? Static electricity? Thanks.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:47:49 AM by Daywalk3r »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: JDM-055 problem
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:28:49 AM »
No pics of the bottom of the board where you were working on it, so no idea what could have been done.

If that spot still measured shorted after the Cap was removed, then the PMIC chip there (the S2PG001A) could be bad. I'd also check C40 and C73 as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:09:50 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2020, 01:24:00 PM »

C40 and C73 aren't shorted. S2PG001A chip is bad( I've destroyed the second board doing the simplest repair :cry2: I ordered anti-static gloves, I hope this will help avoid similar problems in the future. Thx RDC for help.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2020, 01:43:10 PM »
It's a lot harder to zap a component with static than most think, and even more so to kill one that's on a board.

What method are you using to remove the stick exactly? I can tell you're putting some heat into that thing from the way the foam on the top side has melted, but I'm not seeing any really obvious damage from overheating.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 01:38:18 AM »
resolder PMIC . its qfn so u need some more skill than bga needs.

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »
It's a lot harder to zap a component with static than most think, and even more so to kill one that's on a board.

What method are you using to remove the stick exactly? I can tell you're putting some heat into that thing from the way the foam on the top side has melted, but I'm not seeing any really obvious damage from overheating.
if I need to replace the stick completely, I use a hot air gun (temperature 350 degrees). In those cases when the pmic was damaged, I desoldered only one potentiometer. I bent it away from the case with tweezers, soldered three contacts with low-melting solder and then simply desolder with a soldering iron.

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 08:28:49 AM »
resolder PMIC . its qfn so u need some more skill than bga needs.
I will try, but I think that there will be no sense.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2020, 12:20:12 AM »
It is common issue on JDM-055. Happens often, don't feel bad that you did something wrong. It happens to never opened controllers too.

Offline Daywalk3r

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 08:58:10 AM »
It is common issue on JDM-055. Happens often, don't feel bad that you did something wrong. It happens to never opened controllers too.
Thanks for the support  :tup:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 08:58:51 AM by Daywalk3r »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal