Author Topic: DualSense 5 Controller PCB Scans  (Read 81442 times)

Offline jacobporter87

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: DualSense 5 Controller PCB Scans
« Reply #120 on: June 10, 2023, 09:48:22 AM »
Hi all -

I'm having a very strange issue with a BDM-020 board where the left stick is shooting over to the left nonstop. I've tried changing the stick multiple times with the same issue. I can't figure this one out. Any help is appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/RZMWrcx

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #121 on: June 10, 2023, 10:45:43 AM »
Define the issue better, as "shooting over to the left nonstop' could be interpreted as a continuous left or intermittent left.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline jacobporter87

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #122 on: June 10, 2023, 11:14:56 AM »
As soon as the controller is turned on, the stick on screen immediately goes to the left. It's not able to register any other movement. I can attempt to move to the right using the d-pad, but it will not work.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #123 on: June 10, 2023, 10:51:10 PM »
The D-pad and the Left stick are not the same thing, so you're just making things less clear now. Unless the controller has a bad MCU, the D-pad inputs should all still register, even if the stick is knackered up.

Use https://gamepad-tester.com/ to see what is working.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline jacobporter87

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #124 on: June 11, 2023, 03:36:56 AM »
I understand what you're saying, I only mentioned the d-pad to say that on screen I can attempt to move things right. When I connect to Gamepad Tester, everything button works. The left stick is just permanently moving to the left direction.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2023, 09:11:41 AM »
Either there is no 1.8v on the LSX POT, or the LSX line is shorted to ground somewhere, or the MCU is messed up.

Offline jacobporter87

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2023, 10:50:31 AM »
Thanks, I'll give this a look.

Offline connxmas94

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2023, 02:23:04 AM »
Wondering if someone can help me out - i need to find out the capacitor values for the capacitors to the top left of the LH joy stick - seen in the BDM-030 Mobo Top scan below.

Thanks.

Offline rex1825

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2023, 09:30:50 PM »
...so anyone wanna point me where to find 3+V on DualSense board that gives voltage only when controller is turned on?

Offline John_1222

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2023, 09:52:13 AM »
Hi hope everyone is well
Was trying to 0 the left analogue stick as it had drift and was going to use resistors for pad hack- unfortunately I have damaged the trace and lifted the via it runs to trying to repair. Is the board now toast?
I have attached a stock image circled black where damaged

https://ibb.co/n05PQD5

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2023, 02:56:59 PM »
You have 3 'easy' chances before it becomes more of a pain to try and repair it. Go to the back side of the board at the damaged via, you can jumper it from there to the POT. If you damage that one, you can follow that trace a short bit to another via on that same side, then if that one gets toasted you go back to the top side at the last chance via before it goes under the BGA.

Offline John_1222

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2023, 12:34:14 AM »
Thanks appreciate the help

Offline rex1825

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #132 on: June 26, 2023, 12:53:46 PM »
...I've checked whole board, all I could find is 1.8V all over. Could a MOS FET help me out so it's used as cut off switch when controller is off power?

Offline Manavie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2023, 03:58:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the help on my previous question! :laughing:

I would like to ask for some insight on a fightstick project using the DualSense controller. I've designed a PCB for all my buttons, with the D-pad buttons going through two SN74LS00 chips for an SOCD cleaner. Unfortunately, I already have the PCBS, and I completely forgot that these chips require 5V power, while the DualSense board mostly provides 1.8V, from what I see.

I'm wondering if it's possible to use one of the available 1.8V spots on the DualSense board and use a voltage step-up module to convert the voltage to 5V for the chips. Will this cause any issues or complications? Since all that needs 5V are the 2 chips, I also thought of using some batteries, but figured this would be easier. Still in the process of learning, but if there are other solutions that would be very helpful as well.

I'd appreciate any insights or advice you can share. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 04:04:29 PM by Manavie »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #134 on: June 30, 2023, 05:22:50 PM »
Those things aren't going to work anyway, even if you managed to get them on a 5v power supply, as they really need a minimum 2v to register a Hi input.

If your 74LS00 are SOIC or TSSOP, you could just swap them over to some 74LVC00 that will work on 1.8v. If they are DIP, I'd either make another board or some small adapter board to go from the SOIC to DIP.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 05:40:36 PM by RDC »

Offline kawa90

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2023, 03:51:08 AM »
Hello everyone,

I have accidently ripped off the battery connector on the pcb and I cannot find the tracers anywhere online to jump the wires.

Can someone please tell me where the battery connector tracers are? Would really appreciate it! 

It's similar to this reddit user:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 03:51:33 AM by kawa90 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2023, 04:07:10 AM »

Offline kawa90

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2023, 08:01:56 AM »
Thank you very much @RDC

Much appreciated it!

Offline Manavie

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2023, 02:13:09 PM »
Those things aren't going to work anyway, even if you managed to get them on a 5v power supply, as they really need a minimum 2v to register a Hi input.

If your 74LS00 are SOIC or TSSOP, you could just swap them over to some 74LVC00 that will work on 1.8v. If they are DIP, I'd either make another board or some small adapter board to go from the SOIC to DIP.

Apologize for the delayed response, thank you so much! Found some adapter boards online that I think will work.  :laughing:

Offline Ch3ck3rM0n

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #139 on: July 07, 2023, 08:24:48 AM »
Hi guys,

I got a controller from my friend, who tried to fix his stick drift problem on his own. He failt and broke the microphone port, too.
The contacts on the motherboard are fine, I cleaned it after taking attached picture. So I want to soldering a new port but I don't know where I can buy once.

Do you have any ideas, where I can find it or what I have to search for?
Or do you have an idea of a workaround like bridging?

« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 08:27:41 AM by Ch3ck3rM0n »

Offline John_1222

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #140 on: July 07, 2023, 09:38:34 AM »
Hi everyone. Hope you?re all well.
Ps5 controller with this trace circled in red damaged- controller flashes orange three times and the small smd is also missing- anyway to fix?

https://ibb.co/C6YcJbH

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2023, 03:32:52 PM »
@ Ch3ck3rM0n - It's an FFC connector, 0.5mm pitch. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/kyocera-avx/046244406010846/10313211

@ John_1222 - Can't tell at all how bad the damage is from my image of the board. Clean off the leftovers of the SMT Cap and just lave it blank, it's not needed. Use some small thin wire and reconnect the traces. You can jumper wire from that spot to the bottom of the other POT lead on that stick to get the power run back to it so the trace repair doesn't have to also handle that.

Offline John_1222

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #142 on: July 07, 2023, 04:09:48 PM »
@ Ch3ck3rM0n - It's an FFC connector, 0.5mm pitch. https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/kyocera-avx/046244406010846/10313211

@ John_1222 - Can't tell at all how bad the damage is from my image of the board. Clean off the leftovers of the SMT Cap and just lave it blank, it's not needed. Use some small thin wire and reconnect the traces. You can jumper wire from that spot to the bottom of the other POT lead on that stick to get the power run back to it so the trace repair doesn't have to also handle that.

Thank you much appreciated

Offline Ch3ck3rM0n

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #143 on: July 07, 2023, 04:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the help, no I found some similar on AliExpress with cheaper delivery cost. Do you think this fits:

5pcs FFC FPC socket 0.5mm Vertical Type Ribbon Flat Connector 4/6/8/10/12/14/16/20/24/30/34/40/50 Pin

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr36S80

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #144 on: July 07, 2023, 07:35:18 PM »
Nope.

Offline Ch3ck3rM0n

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #145 on: July 08, 2023, 03:37:56 AM »
Oh okay, why not?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #146 on: July 08, 2023, 04:52:48 AM »
It has a different footprint, also, the other Mic connector on your board there is on backwards.

Offline Ch3ck3rM0n

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #147 on: July 10, 2023, 12:43:44 AM »
It has a different footprint, also, the other Mic connector on your board there is on backwards.

The problem is, the shop for the replacement parts you shared is nice, but the cost for their shipping within 20 Euro is to expensive. It is to much, because for 20 bugs I can buy another used/damage controller for parts. - Maybe I will sell it without microphone support. Makes more sense :-/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 12:51:40 AM by Ch3ck3rM0n »

Offline ANAS

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #148 on: July 10, 2023, 10:54:03 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for providing the scans & information.

I wired all buttons (BDM 010) to an arcade stick but now the controller blinks orange twice upon battery connection & when PS button is pressed. Then basically controller stays off.

When I remove the battery for sometime & reconnect it, it kinda works but behaves weirdly and randomly registers random button press/hold & whilst doing this it sometimes disconnects and goes back to double blink issue.

I'm not sure what I screwed up & if this is repairable, I've got scrap controller for parts on hand if anything.

It's worth noting that I first wired up the buttons of Dualsense to the original Arcade Stick PCB intending to attempt a dual PCB Mod but changed my mind, I have not powered on the ArcadeStick PCB when both PCBs buttons were wired, however I did power on the DualSense in the same scenario.

Quick demonstration:
https://youtube.com/shorts/zNhJ-BTfcRo

Offline John_1222

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #149 on: July 11, 2023, 02:04:34 PM »
Two blinks i think indicate a battery issue
3 blinks hardware issue e.g. a cut trace (was the case for me)

Possibly try a different battery/check the connection/connector on the pcb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal