Author Topic: PS4 ADP-240AR Power supply issues, on 1 sec and then off  (Read 2726 times)

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
PS4 ADP-240AR Power supply issues, on 1 sec and then off
« on: December 08, 2020, 02:29:49 AM »
I have a PS4 ADP-240AR Power supply with a strange issue. The PSU when plugged in on PS4, it gives power for 1 sec and then shut off immediately. I am sure it is the power supply because I used a known to work one on the PS4 and booted fine.

So, I have opened it and immediately found F3 fuse open. Replaced it and kept looking around what else could be wrong. I ended up finding that the following had been faulty and changed:

1. F3 fuse (no continuity)
2. Array of two K12A60U (shorting gates)
3. Green Resistor (?) (changed because some piece was broken out, even if measured OK)
4. MPLB 683J was showing short on board, open when unsoldered (replaced it with another 683J from spare ADP-240CR)
5. Ziner Diode ZD31 was faulty, and replaced from ADP-240CR.

All fine so far. Got blown the 5A main fuse, which i replaced as well.

When plugged it back, same thing, turns on, then instantly off. After re-measuring the parts found out that compared to the working ADP-240AR, this one was showing about 62.5 Ωhm on the following points as seen at the attached pic. I even replaced the Delta Coil, no luck either. What could be causing it???

Any idea???

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: PS4 ADP-240AR Power supply issues, on 1 sec and then off
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 02:50:50 AM »
Youre shorting between AC and DC power? Thats a bad bridge rectifier. Personally would just replace the power supply cuz its cheap enough and not worth the risk of shock to be digging in power supplies. Either way whatever chip it also blew is likely one that is glued down under the solder so youll only ruin it further if thats the case.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 02:52:09 AM by LethalPrime »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 05:32:55 AM »
As mentioned be careful when poking around in any SMPS, Switch Mode Power Supply, especially with 220v mains.

MPLB 683J is a Cap, so shorted is bad, but measuring things in circuit, especially with a SMPS, is most times going to give you a false idea of what is up with that one component as it's in a circuit with other components. Removing the part is the proper way to check it so nothing else in the circuit is also being measured.

If the FETs were fragged, then whatever drives them most likely also died. Any low value Resistors should always be checked for opens, as well as all others checked for going out of tolerance, which some will measure all kinds of wrong in circuit but fine when removed.

You really need a schematic, or have some experience with poking around in SMPS to get what is going on in there and where to look.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MadMaxGR

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 07:30:53 AM »
I have checked the capacitors off the board unsoldered and is not shorted but I am not sure what measurement are right,  since I didn't find any worksheet about it.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »
https://www.acidmods.com/RDC/PS4/PSU/ADP-240AR.pdf

It's not 100% complete but has been gone over a couple of times now so things should be correct. If anyone catches a mistake, different component value or such let me know.

@ MadMaxGR - I'd remove and check D84 and D85 on your board there.

Also, if you're replacing any Zener diodes from another board, make sure they have the same part numbers or ratings as they have a specific voltage.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 07:15:23 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »
RDC said: let me hookup my oscilloscope real quick and get you those schematics. ;)

Haha I love this website

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 02:54:07 PM »
No scope, just the scanner and Cap tester really. ;)

I don't have a guinea pig PS4 here for getting any of the test point waveforms and such, and couldn't on this particular board now anyway as it's completely stripped down, but it's not an overly complicated PSU once you can break it down into it's sections.

https://www.acidmods.com/RDC/PS4/PSU/ADP-240AR_BOTTOM_AND_CLEAN.jpg

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 05:00:20 PM »
Schematics for anything is a blessing.

I mean I personally still wouldnt touch a psu for repair but knowing that I could if I really wanted to is great lol at the end of the day there are ways to (sort of) safely discharge a psu before working on it after all.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
A SMPS isn't going to do anything worse to you than what 2020 already did. ;)

Discharging the caps is trivial as you really need the thing powered up most times to tell where it's taking the poo at. The trick is just making sure it's done safely as well as loaded down at least a little bit. Some SMPS will not work correctly or straight up ruin themselves if they are powered up with no load at all on them as they need that part of the 'circuit' to function correctly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal