Author Topic: Home light not staying on? 1537  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Nick_Sparkle

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Home light not staying on? 1537
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:02:27 AM »
The controller works fine but the light does not come on either wired or with batteries . I changed the smd thinking it was that but it does not light up still.Strangely when I touch the soldering iron on the negative end it then come on! But it goes off the moment I pull the iron away. (I have the board wired through the micro usb to a power bank to test it ) so it probably wasn?t the light that had gone after all. Any ideas anyone what it could be please?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Home light not staying on? 1537
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 12:00:14 PM »
The schematic for both of those boards is in the 1537 thread. Not much to check in that circuit but a Transistor, couple Resistors the connector and traces.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MattP79

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 01:24:21 PM »
The controller works fine but the light does not come on either wired or with batteries . I changed the smd thinking it was that but it does not light up still.Strangely when I touch the soldering iron on the negative end it then come on! But it goes off the moment I pull the iron away. (I have the board wired through the micro usb to a power bank to test it ) so it probably wasn?t the light that had gone after all. Any ideas anyone what it could be please?

Check for a micro crack in PCB trace or solder connections of nearby transistors and resistors. I think you will find LED will light if you put pressure on the board without it being heated.

Offline Nick_Sparkle

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 02:25:35 AM »
thank you for your help, ill have a look again now

Offline Nick_Sparkle

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 03:43:00 AM »
on further examination the R5 is coroded. looks like the micro usb has been replaced and flux left everywhere. is this a capacitor? ts just disintergrated when ive tried to clean with ipa. could this be the reason its not lighting up? thank you once again everyone

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2021, 07:07:19 AM »
It's a Resistor, 80 ohms.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Nick_Sparkle

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 01:38:03 AM »
Would this cause it to not light up RDC? I dont want to spend time taking one off a broken one and then that not be the problem. I cannot see any other faults on the board. thank you once again

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 07:12:07 AM »
It could cause it to not light up, as it's the current limiting Resistor for the LED there. Doesn't mean it will make it light up, as I have no idea what shape the traces, vias and whole other side of the LED are in.

Offline Nick_Sparkle

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 01:51:21 AM »
Thank you for getting back, ill take one off another faulty board and see it it works

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal