Author Topic: 1708 won't power on with Xbox battery pack, USB/AA's work fine  (Read 916 times)

Offline jontym

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Hello all,

I've been lurking here for a while but never posted. I've used the info here to fix many dozens of controllers  :clap:

I've got a fault that I haven't seen before, this 1708 will power on just fine with AA batteries or plugged into USB but is totally dead when using an official Xbox rechargeable pack.

I know the rechargeable pack is good as it works fine on every other controller. I've narrowed the issue down to the board with the sticks on it by swapping in known good boards that I have.

I've also checked that there is continuity between the contacts in the battery compartment and where it is soldered to the board so the connector itself seems OK.

Does anybody have any idea what the problem could be, or where to start troubleshooting?

The board in question works fine other than this, the only thing I had to do was put a wire between RSY and TP65 as the previous owner has lifted that pad.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: 1708 won't power on with Xbox battery pack, USB/AA's work fine
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 04:45:30 PM »
The schematics for the 1708 board are in the 1708 pinned topic.

Make sure R15 is still on the MCU board, then I'd check to make sure the SCL2 and SDA2 lines are intact to the SOC board and not shorted to each other or ground. After that, there are 4 Resistors on the SOC board that can be checked, R37, R38, R40 and R41, then after that it's most likely an issue with the MCU, bad solder joint or the second I2C bus is just messed up internally.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline jontym

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 04:01:37 PM »
R15 still appears to be there (0 Ohms)

I have continuity between J7 p2 to TP32-B, and also J7 p3 to TP32-T.

SCL2 and SDA2 don't appear to be shorted to each other or to ground.

Should there be continuity between TP32-T/B to pins 59 & 60 on the SOC board, because I have neither.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 04:26:19 PM »
Yes there should continuity there. Both of those traces run under the Right Stick, so if it was replaced at some point and someone was rough prying it off then there, though there is no real reason for that, could be the traces are damaged under there, but that's just a guess. After that, they run under the SOC board to p59 and p60.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline jontym

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 03:41:39 AM »
So I put a wire between TP32 T/B to pins 59 and 60 on the SOC board but still no joy. Had nothing from TP14 to J5 pin 11 either, and upon adding that - VOILA! Everything worked as expected, using AA batteries/USB/Xbox battery pack.

I've attached photos for reference in case they are useful to anybody in future.

The brown wire was the actual fault I was trying to repair, where the person who tried to fix it originally has lifted a pad. Looks like they must have caused some other damage as RDC said.

Top work on the schematics, couldn't have figured this out without them  :clap:

https://ibb.co/R6K01Cx

https://ibb.co/44Y2Z6v

« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 03:52:56 AM by jontym »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 04:12:22 AM »
That PCB is cracked, which explains the multiple traces that are open.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal