Author Topic: Ripped analog pad, where to jump? JDM-055  (Read 1527 times)

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Ripped analog pad, where to jump? JDM-055
« on: May 30, 2021, 05:40:58 PM »
Hello. This is an old controller that I botched the repair when learning a year ago https://i.imgur.com/Yj231iy.jpg. I came back to it, used magnet wire to jump from the pin to the trace on the other side of the board https://prnt.sc/13m0205. But the analog is going completely to the left(not the physical stick). I tried with two different joysticks, but the issue persists. I made sure there were no shorts where they shouldn't be. Maybe I jumped to the wrong trace?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 05:41:58 PM by ChrisJavier »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Ripped analog pad, where to jump? JDM-055
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 08:33:09 PM »
If it's going full left then either that X-axis line is shorted to ground, or the 3.2v to the POT for the X-axis is open.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 08:45:03 PM »
Is there another way to check for shorts? I checked it in continuity mode and there's no continuity between the middle pin and ground. How can I verify the 3.2v on the X-axis? Sorry, I'm still not very knowledgeable on probing around  :confused:

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:56:58 PM »
Well those two statements are contradicting. If there is no Resistance measurement between the center pin of the POT and ground, then it would normally peg full right, unless the 3.2v is also open in which case the middle pin is then 'floating', that is not connected to anything, so it could act however it wanted.

Measure a known good controller and compare it to the bad one and see what is different and where. Do not have the controller turned on when making Resistance measurements, in fact pull the battery from it while doing those kind of checks.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 04:09:25 PM »
I've just noticed you said the X-axis, so that means that the jumper was installed correctly and the problem lies elsewhere right? As the ripped pad is in the Y-axis? Anyways, I don't have another 055 board to compare. I did notice the C41 missing, though. Maybe that's the problem?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 04:45:07 PM »
You said it was going Left, and Left/Right is the X-axis. The Y-axis is Up/Down, so if that works fine then what you did was fine. I never said the issue was with what you did, said the X-axis line is either shorted to ground or there is no 3.2v on that X-axis POT.

C41 missing isn't causing that, it's just a decoupling cap on the 3.2v rail. There is another stick on that same controller board that must still work, use that one for test measurements then. They work the same way, just do different things in game is all.

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 07:52:59 PM »
Alright, I did some measurements. I hope I did it correctly.

The defective one is the former, the good one is the latter.
X-axis:
A. Pin 1 to Pin 3 = 2.5k vs 2.5k
B. Pin 1 to Pin 2 = 3.5k vs 5.1k
C. Pin 2 to Pin 3 = 3.5k vs 11.1k

Y-axis:
A. Pin 1 to Pin 3 = 2.5k vs 2.1k
B. Pin 1 to Pin 2 = 3.4k vs 2.3k
C. Pin 2 to Pin 3 = 3.3k vs 8.1k

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 08:00:46 PM »
No idea what you are considering pin 1 there. Lets try it this way instead since none of that will matter this way.

Power the controller up and measure the voltage on all 4 of the center pins of the POTs, with respect to ground, aka black lead on any ground, red lead use to test LSX, LSY, RSX and RSY. Make sure none of the Sticks are pressed in any direction and are at center. They should all measure around 1.6v (they are not going to be dead on) but I'm betting that one you're having an issue with isn't going to be close.

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2021, 08:28:39 PM »
Pins were from left to right and up to bottom.

I measured what you asked, it all checks out:

RSX and RSY = 1.5v and 1.6v
LSX and LSY = 1.6v and 1.4v

Thanks for all the help btw, you're the best!

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »
It's not going completely to the left with those voltages like that. Drifting maybe, but not completely left. Those are two different issues, so what is it doing exactly?

Completely left would be like you're holding the Stick in the max direction. Drifting is more like when you are barely pressing the Stick to where it just starts to move.

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2021, 08:44:46 PM »
https://prnt.sc/13p8vrw It isn't completely to left, but yeah. It doesn't go past there even if I move it and I just noticed that it doesn't move to the right at all. Up and down appears to be working.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2021, 08:51:54 PM »
Well that makes even less sense then. Test the voltage on that RSX line and move the Stick Left and Right, the voltage should go up and down. If it does change, then the RSX line has to either be open, or that MCU is knackered and not reading the RSX line properly.

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2021, 11:26:50 AM »
Yeah, the voltages go up and down depending on what direction you move the stick. I'm going to reflow the MCU just for the heck of it

Offline wickated

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2021, 10:06:04 PM »
dont forget to clean with isopropyl/aceton. looks like a voltage leak

Offline COBRA___10

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 08:14:09 AM »
Saludos amigo yo tengo el mismo problema de este amigo con un control de playstation 4 jdm-055 que se va completamente a la izquierda, exactamente es el joystick de la izquierda y se va solo hacia la izquierda. ya remplase varias veces el joystick anlogico y nada incluso estuve probando sin el analogico soldado a la placa y tambien lo hace asi que no cabe duda que es la placa. tambien estuve midiendo el positivo del joystick con respecto a tierra y estan los 3.2v pero no tiene el voltage de el pin del medio y no tengo mucho el norte hacea donde ir o ver si es alguna pieza en corto o abierta que no permite llegar el voltage. Gracias por si ayuda de antemano

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal