Author Topic: Ps4 controller fix drift with resistors  (Read 2037 times)

Offline zis2104

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Ps4 controller fix drift with resistors
« on: May 28, 2022, 07:20:02 AM »
which resistors should I use to fix the analog drift?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Ps4 controller fix drift with resistors
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 08:05:50 PM »
Use a 1M TrimPOT, the more turns the better, not Resistors. 
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2022, 06:03:15 AM »
a 50k smd pot also works, here is a helpful youtube guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIDa3WeNZDI

for what its worth, some tiny dabs of dielectric grease or spray on the thumbsticks green pots will usually also extend their life somewhat (NOT wd40 - wd40 doesn't evaporate fast enough and will make it worse)

Offline ChrisJavier

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 12:12:35 PM »
50k is way too low. You will lose range. I've been using 1m ohm pots since RDC recommended them a few months ago and they have worked great.

Offline handy333

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2022, 06:32:15 PM »
I've been looking through this site for a while and decided today to make an account. I've been trying to
google how to "zero out" ps4 analog stick ports with no luck. Not sure if "zero out" is the correct term but I'm trying to
put together a ps4 fight stick with the many unused ps4 PCBs I've collected during the years and the analog sticks
read complete positives (or negatives). I don't remember the values. It's been a while since I last checked. I just want them in the neutral position.

I saw this post and thought it would be something on topic. Instead of creating another post
I thought It'd be okay to ask here unless stated otherwise.

Offline LethalPrime

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2022, 04:07:33 PM »
I've been looking through this site for a while and decided today to make an account. I've been trying to
google how to "zero out" ps4 analog stick ports with no luck. Not sure if "zero out" is the correct term but I'm trying to
put together a ps4 fight stick with the many unused ps4 PCBs I've collected during the years and the analog sticks
read complete positives (or negatives). I don't remember the values. It's been a while since I last checked. I just want them in the neutral position.

I saw this post and thought it would be something on topic. Instead of creating another post
I thought It'd be okay to ask here unless stated otherwise.
You can neutralize each axis with a 10k ohm resistor

Offline handy333

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2022, 08:14:59 PM »
Sorry for the noobish question and afterwards I'll leave it alone but how would I go about connecting the resistor. Would it be from the base of each axis to ground or base to base and connect that to ground?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2022, 10:08:26 PM »
There are several ways to go about doing that.

1 - Leave the sticks in there. You're making an arcade stick, so you have piles of room, but if you must make more work for yourself that's your call.

2 - You can also leave just the POTs from the Sticks on there and turn then to the center value and lock them in place with some hot glue. If they are already removed or damaged in some way, then...

3 - Use fixed Resistors, anything from 1k to 100k will work, as long as they are all the same value. You need 2 per POT, so 8 total for doing both sticks. Put one in each outside hole where the original POT was and then both go to the center hole.

O--10k--O--10k--O

If the controller was calibrated with a real janky POT or it drifts even with Resistors in there, then..

4 - Use 4 TrimPOTs (Trimmer Potentiometers) vlaue 10k to 100k and the more turns it has the more accurate it will be, in place of the stick POTs. These cost more than Resistors, but they also let you 'dial in' the center value to keep it from drifting.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline handy333

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 11:52:10 PM »
Hey, thanks a lot for the help. The stick are already removed but I do have the stick parts and plenty of replacements but I think the 3rd and maybe the 4th option (if it should come to it) should do the trick. I may work on it tonight before I crash on redbull(or bury myself in grief from Tekken).

Also, I don't really have much room to work with with the shell I'm working on.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 11:53:15 PM by handy333 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal