Author Topic: Dualsense front port charging (issues)  (Read 629 times)

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
Dualsense front port charging (issues)
« on: March 15, 2023, 08:58:44 PM »
I'm trying to create 3d printed docks for my dualsense controllers that charge via pogo pins. The issue I'm having is the dualsense controllers refuse to acknowledge / draw current from the front port connection. I'm using this pinout as a reference

Power is being drawn from a usb charger I know is capable of 5v3A, and it charges the controller fine over usb C connector on the back. However going straight to 2 pogo pins on the front of the controller results in like 80ma of draw and no charging. I have also confirmed this setup with pogo pins (pressed against the 5v/Gnd pads of an EXT port adaptor pcb) will charge a ps4 controller no issues - so I know all the soldering is good. Any idea why the dual sense is being so picky?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: Dualsense front port charging (issues)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 04:37:10 AM »
I just poked around with this, and it's kind of funky in how it works. The 5v and GND alone will not make it charge, you need that Resistor in there on the third pin to Sense it. I used a 4.7k here, so anything between 4.7k and 5.6k should work. Here's the rub though, the order in which the pins make contact are where it gets picky. If you have the 5v and GND connected, then connect the Sense pin, it will not charge. If the Sense pin is connected first, then 5v and GND is connected it will charge. If you have all 3 of your pogo pins in a row you might get lucky half of the time and it would charge, but I'd make that Sense pin proud just a bit so that it makes contact before the 5v and GND pins do.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:38:16 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline Kraaz

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 02:43:48 PM »
Ok , from what you say, i think its acting  like a (DRP) USB-C 3.1, maybe resistor is needed 5.1k , and capacitor (100nF) on V+ to make a bit delay ?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:44:44 PM by Kraaz »

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 01:51:31 AM »
I just poked around with this, and it's kind of funky in how it works. The 5v and GND alone will not make it charge, you need that Resistor in there on the third pin to Sense it. I used a 4.7k here, so anything between 4.7k and 5.6k should work. Here's the rub though, the order in which the pins make contact are where it gets picky. If you have the 5v and GND connected, then connect the Sense pin, it will not charge. If the Sense pin is connected first, then 5v and GND is connected it will charge. If you have all 3 of your pogo pins in a row you might get lucky half of the time and it would charge, but I'd make that Sense pin proud just a bit so that it makes contact before the 5v and GND pins do.
I ended up realizing that this was the issue, but never found the timing of the connections to be an issue. This strikes me as a very weird observation - every charging dock i've seen in person have all pins at equal height, and only a single resistor inside. If this really was a requirement I don't know how they achieved this IRL with how the charging docks are physically constructed.

IT could be how I built the charging stands that this didn't end up being an issue (inaccuracies in my model or construction ment the pins happened to connect in the right order?). I could definitely make the hole for the sense pogo pin a bit deeper to compensate, make it contact a bit sooner. I ended up going for 5100 ohm resistors and it seems to work fine.

Ok , from what you say, i think its acting  like a (DRP) USB-C 3.1, maybe resistor is needed 5.1k , and capacitor (100nF) on V+ to make a bit delay ?
Adding a capacitor is an interesting idea. If I run into issues, I'll try this. Not sure I have 100nf, that would be 0.1uf right?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 01:52:37 AM by MCorgano »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 06:18:35 AM »
It may have just been my test setup here causing that quirk, as I didn't use pogo pins that would have made a better connection for testing.

No need for a Cap, as there are already a couple on that line inside the controller. The Resistor makes up the top part of a voltage divider, so the controller 'knows' to charge from there.

0.1uf = 100nF = 100,000pF
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:20:02 AM by RDC »
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 05:35:31 PM »
Since you're one of the most knowledgeable people around, any word on what the third pin on the front connector is for (apart from charging apparently)? Like any kind of communication or anything? IIRC the fourth pin is NC, and the first two are obviously ground/5v. Part of me was really hoping for a ps5 version of the back button attachment but it seems unlikely at this point.

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 07:01:43 PM »
The 4th pin had the ability to connect up with two pins on the MCU, on the BDM-010 anyway, but the Resistors/Inductors that would make those connections were DNI, so it's really NC to anything. On the BDM-020 it's NC to anything at all.

That 3rd pin could technically do some kind of 1 wire communication, but it doesn't really seem setup for it.

Offline MCorgano

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +0/-1
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2023, 02:34:40 PM »
Kind of a shame. Maybe some point in the distant future we'll get an interview or something with an engineer, letting us know what was at some point planned for the front port. Thanks though

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal