Author Topic: problem with jdm-055 from ps4 controller  (Read 706 times)

Offline chipy200

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
problem with jdm-055 from ps4 controller
« on: September 04, 2023, 10:20:11 AM »
Hi, i have a problem with my jdm-055 from a ps4 controller, i had drift and took out my left joystick and put a new one, but while dessolding the old joystick i think i broke something because now, with all installed and solded, both joysticks dont work, are going up left and I dont know what i broke and what i could do. I'd agree any help you could give me. Before seing the photos of the bad solding i did take in count that its my first time and maybe i'll have to buy a new jdm-055. the foto: https://ibb.co/2PZfwF3
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:25:49 AM by chipy200 »

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
Re: problem with jdm-055 from ps4 controller
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 06:38:22 PM »
Just about anything Sony has made in the last decade is a horrible place to learn how to solder, and a far worse one to learn how to desolder, which is the much more difficult of the two things to learn.

The main issue is here, the via has been torn out, and the top trace is no longer connected to the bottom trace, so no power is getting to the sticks.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline chipy200

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 05:11:07 AM »
And so i can't do anything to repair it right? I should buy a new one?

Offline RDC

• Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +90/-2
  • The CGnome Project
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 06:55:00 AM »
Didn't say that at all. Said the via there is missing.

Dseolder the spot I circled, then run a small wire, or a strand of wire, thru there so it comes out the top side, then solder it on both sides and retest the controller.
Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Offline chipy200

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 09:50:52 AM »
Ok ill try now.

Offline chipy200

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 10:07:55 AM »
this is the problem and it still like this and i put a cable like u said in that pin and then sold it again.

Offline Eren_Ackerman

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 09:13:25 PM »
It's a much simpler job than what it looks like at first.

Just remember that the key is flux. You could buy another board, sure, but then what did you learn? Plus, if you're already thinking about buying another board, it means this board is perfect for learning... Buy flux (flux is a transparent grease used for helping the solder flow better), then apply the flux on all the solder joints and then you simply heat the joints with your soldering iron. If you have a flat tip for that soldering iron all the better, because the flat tip will absorb the excess solder.

Then, after using the flux like I described above, you will be able to see that this is the via (the connection) that you need to restore. You can scrape the green "paint" to expose the copper so that you can solder a wire if you need to. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal