Console Modding------ ( Here you can talk about your favorite Consoles ) > PS4

JDM-040 only charges via EXT Port

(1/1)

ISAK.M:
I have here a JDM-040 that I bought cheap second and it just does not charge.
I ordered a new JDS-040 board and replaced that but same thing it wont charge. The pins where the ribbon cable connects to the JDM board are reading 4.9V so its 100% getting power its just not charging.
So far ive charged it by connecting the battery directly to a Nintendo DS Lite so the battery is fine.
I read something about the Power Management IC (PMIC) but if thats :censored:ed then it would not charge via EXT either right?
Enlighten me.

RDC:
That's like saying if your vehicle driver side door was jammed or welded closed, then you can't get into it from any other door.

The PMIC has separate inputs for the USB 5v and the EXT 5v, and one of them can fail while the other one works fine.

One thing to check before replacing the PMIC, does the USB (wired) connection work? AKA, the PC detects it and everything is good there? If so, then the PMIC is suspect, provided no components have been knocked off or the board has no obvious damage.

If the USB connection is also bad, then it will not charge over USB as it needs more than just the 5v there to do that, and 2 things should be checked if that is the case.

The CMC (Common Mode Choke) and especially the TVS array that are both right at the connector on the motherboard that the ribbon cable plugs into. The CMC is the tiny 4 pin device, it's just 2 inductors in the same package and is in the USB data lines, so if it's missing or damage no USB data gets thru. The TVS array is the larger 5 pin device there and it sits on the USB data lines. You can remove it and see if the USB works then, but again if the USB connection works fine then the PMIC is suspect and there is no need to remove that for a test.

Kadudi88:
I had a similar issue however with my JDM-055. I do recall there was a post a little while back on the forum where someone had added a solder blob to bridge the 2 Capacitors sitting beside S2PG001A. I?m not sure if this would help your case at all

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version