Author Topic: DreamCast Laptop  (Read 8422 times)

Offline ragnar

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
DreamCast Laptop
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:46:01 PM »
Hello, there wasn't any Dreamcast section on the Forum, so I posted this here, hope you guys don't mind.

Well anyways, I've been thinking of Making my own DC laptop, the thing is, I need help with some things, now I have no problem with soldering, all I need to know is what to solder and where to solder, I don't really have any plans for a case yet but, that'll come later, my problems are, the Battery and the LCD screen, I've got an old Laptop, I was thinking maybe I could use its power supply and LCD screen, it would lower the cost of everything, maybe I could even use the case of the laptop, I don't know but we'll see that later, if there isn't anyway to connect the laptops Screen and Battery than I need alternatives.

To make things short, I will post the LCD screen and laptop Power supply photos and any questions I can answer about them later, after that I need alternatives in case none of them work.

I'm really excited about this and I hope to make this work as soon as possible, and I think with help I can make it ;) .

Offline zbblanton

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +5/-0
    • My modding site
Re: DreamCast Laptop
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 06:00:21 PM »
sounds sweet how long u think its goin to take

Offline ragnar

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:04:32 PM »
well I'm not sure, I'm going to post pictures and whatever info I have tomorrow, I'm too tired today, but I would give it a month or two if the stuff I have works, if I need to find more components it might take more time, considering the money I have and if I can find whatever I need in my country.

Offline vskid

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • vskid3 Industries
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »

Offline kink192

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 10:03:40 PM »
sounds like a good idea, if its a success possible mod an older system like the nes into a laptop. that would be a mod to be amazed by.
It's been a long time

Offline ragnar

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 07:24:58 AM »
Here are the photos on the screen and the power supply, hope any of you guys know if this works and how:

Offline Ilzwalrus

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I r smart.
    • My Livejournal, which I update two to three times a day with a fun and witty commentary about the goings-on of society today, occasionally interspersed with meaningful and often thought-provoking tidbits about my extraordinary personal life.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
Unfortunately you won't be able to use the screen... mainly because the hardware is incompatible, and there's no driver for the screen.

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 06:56:57 AM »
Also I wouldn't use a battery to power it, it won't hold long enough to have some serious fun with your DC

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline dreaddiekruger

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 03:03:32 PM »
yeah laptop screens are useless unless you posses the skill to construct a video processing board its vital for your project working on a similar project but still a work in progress thats why those add-on third party console screen are so handy since they posses a video processing board making it a far better choice for your DC laptop, that being said your limited to the size your going to use cause the biggest game screens ive seen available are around 10", so your next best option is a nice lcd tv. (17'' to 20" is what i will use myself ) a pretty ambitious project to say the least since it involves some reegineering of a few things ( the biggest being the gd-rom unit as its pretty big and bulky) not to mention the keyboard aspect, (will require some reegineering too as the sega keyboard is pretty long) keep us posted im intrested in seeing your ideas and development of this project, GOOD LUCK!

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 09:22:37 AM »
i tryed this to, I had it runnig on a car charger and it could connect to the wall, but my problems were a big screan to suit me,  :boxed: and a case
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 02:36:13 AM »
for all your battery needs get a broken camcorder with a battery,u gotta modify the psu to work with the dc tho,the dc one would be too big and wouldnt support batteries,anyways camcorder parts are the way to do it for the whole power thing no doubt about it thats what everyone else dose or not necessarily camcorders everything with a battery that can match the power feed their console needs e.g a laptop battery and psu
by psu i mean power supply,not the on which charges the battery in a camcorder i mean the internal one which draws the power from the battery
Derp.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 02:56:29 AM »
the best screen to use for this sort of thing is the 7" ps1 screen you can buy

benheck uses it for most of his mods like this

as well as portable tv screens

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal