Author Topic: Pandora's Battery Tutorial  (Read 52614 times)

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Pain matters not, Only the Journey ahead
    • Acidmods
Pandora's Battery Tutorial
« on: August 25, 2007, 03:11:23 AM »
Written by Kenshinffx

Well guys,  I just got done with this mod and it's far more of a pain than it seemed it would be..   If you don't have the computer knowledge or a good strong tutorial you will have trouble and ultimately get frustrated..  (like I did)

I'll go over all the steps and everything you need to watch out for.   Lets start with the basics..  This Tutorial is only for Windows XP Users..   Check Sim's FAQ for Vista

This is everything you will need....

All the files for the Pandora's Battery,  you can find them specially for AM users on http://rapidshare.com/files/50674770/pandora.zip

The Official Sony 1.50 FW Update Eboot.   You can get this from http://rapidshare.com/files/51170518/150.PBP once again, this if for AM specially..  Thank Robin1989 for such great ability to offer these files up at a click.

A spare PSP Battery.   Any kind will do.  Even an aftermarket.  If you don't have one then get one before they go through the roof on prices and become another Lumines.

A spare Memory Stick Pro Duo.   Only up to 2GB,  4 isn't supported

And finally and most importantly...  You must have a PSP that is at 1.50 FW or any Custom FW.   Even M33.

Not to start off.  You will want to backup your whole PSP stick.  If anything is on it that you want to keep,  Back it up!   Then Format your Stick with your PSP...  To do this, you go to Settings - and then to System Settings - Then to Format Memory Stick.

Time to Connect the PSP with a USB.

Now you need to Logically Format your stick.  This is where you will run into problems if you aren't familiar with how Windows works..  To run this format file you have to do it through a Command Prompt..   First thing you need to do is download the Pandora Files and save them to your C drive.   It's much easier this way.  (Much much easier)   Rename the main folder that all the files are in to "Pandora"  Then you open the Command Prompt by Clicking the Start button and then hitting the Run option at the bottom.  in the following window type "CMD"  It stands for Command with no extra letters.  Once it is pulled up you will probably be in the D&S directory..   

C:\Documents and Settings\>

type "cd .."  there is a space between the cd and the ..   The "cd" stands for Change Directory.

This should take you to the Lower Directory

C:\>

Now..  To run the formatter on the Stick is a bit complicated but I will explain it all,  not just the steps.  But what they do.

Now you have to move to the directory that the Formatter is in.  If you followed my instructions..  You should have it saved in the C drive.  so the line of code will look like this. 

C:\Pandora\mspformat\mspformat.exe "Insert drive letter"   <--   Now when I say this I mean the PSP Drive letter.   

When you hook it up to the computer it gets assigned a Drive Letter..  Mine is "M" Depending on how many drives you have it may be a lower letter.  You have to go to My Computer and check the drive letter that is labeled "Removable Disk"  Next to that is the Drive Letter.  So in my case, it would be

C:\Pandora\mspformat\mspformat.exe M

you put a space to signify what drive is to be formatted. the first line of code is where the file is. and the spaced part is what to use the file on.

It will ask you if you really want to format..  You hit Y and then Enter.

This will completely wipe your Stick.  nothing at all will be on it.  Nothing...  After this then you Disconnect the USB and take out the Stick.  Then you reinsert the stick and reactivate USB. 

You will need to Manually Create some Folders.  First you open the PSP stick on the Computer and Create the "PSP" Folder.   You have to use all Caps.  Then you open that folder and create the "GAME" Folder.   I've heard you can use other names but I never got that working..  Then you Open your Pandora folder on the C Drive and open up the Battery Folder.  In here are two folders. 

"pandora_battery"  and "pandora_battery%"

Copy both of these over to the "GAME" folder of your Memory Stick,  then open your "Installer" Folder of the Pandora Folder.  There are two more files in here.

"pbfirm_install" and "pbfirm_install%"

Once again you have to move these to the "GAME" folder on your Memory Stick.

Now you have to move the 1.50 FW Eboot.   Rename it to "UPDATE.PBP" and put it in the Root of your Memory Stick.   This means you put in it the area that your "PSP" folder is in.  Put it right next to the "PSP" folder.

Now..  A few things you need to be aware of before you do this.  All the CFW stuff on your Recovery needs to be set to default!  (took me ages to figure this one out.  If other people got it working without doing this then good for you.  I had to set it to default)  This means setting your corrupted icons hiding back to disabled.  and setting your No UMD mode to the Sony one.   I can Guarantee there are Custom XMBs that will trigger problems here too.

Once you have done this.  then go the the Game area on your PSP after disconnecting the USB mode and run the "Pandora's Battery Firm. Installer"  if you did this right it should pull p a screen saying to press the Cross to continue.  this takes a bit so have patience.   After it's done it will say it was successful and restart your PSP in 10 Seconds.

When it does you now have a few extra folders on your Stick.   Link it back up to the USB and you will see it has a bunch more stuff!  The file you need to pay attention to now is the "msipl.bin" file.   Go back to your Pandora folder in the C drive and find the "msinst" folder.   When you open it you will see another .exe file that is named "msinst.exe"  Paste the "msipl.bin" file into this folder on your C drive.  Remember,  the msipl.bin file is on your Memory Stick.   

Now comes another tricky part.  You have to use the CMD prompt again.  Just go to Start and Run and then hit Enter cause CMD will still be there.  once you get it up you have to travel to the folder again.  this is what you do. 

If you are on C:\Documents and Settings\>  then you need to type "cd .." and hit enter to go back to the C:\> Directory.

If or when you are on C:\> then you type this...

cd C:\Pandora\msinst\msinst.exe

If you did it right it will give you the IPL of this file.  don't bother worryig about it..  It just let you know that you did the command right.   Hit the F3 key.  and it will type again what you just typed.  Now,  remember your drive name?  Mine was M for this demo,  so you have to have this typed.

"C:\>Pandora\msinst\msinst.exe M C:\Pandora\msinst\msipl.bin"

When you type this and hit enter it will say that it is going to write the Boot Code to your Stick.  it was ask if you want to.  Type "Y" and then hit Enter.

It writes it and you now have what is called a "Magic Memory Stick"

You have one more thing to do!  Time to make your Battery a Jigkick.

Now..   You close out of all folder and Exit the PSP out of USB mode.  then you run the Pandora's Battery Creator homebrew that is in your Game Memory Stick Area..  It will give you a slew of options including

"Service Mode" which is the Pandora Battery.

"Normal Mode One" which is a normal battery,  this is how you convert it back.

And then there is the Home which does nothing and sets it back to the XMB

And a bunch of others that I'm sure sim might know what they mean.  but I didn't bother with them.   The one you are dealing with is Service Mode.  When you hit X it will write to the Battery and then Boot back to the XMB.  Your Battery is now a "Pandora Battery".  Turn your PSP off and take the Battery and the Memory stick out and replace them with the ones your weren't going to use for this procedure.   Keep the other ones in a close proximity and be wary of what they are in,  or look like.   Most people label theirs.

Now I will also include how to use and Unbrick using Pandora's Battery..

Take the PSP that is Bricked or on too high of Firmware and put the Stick in,  once you put the Battery in the PSP automatically turns on.  It will say to press X to Downgrade or Unbrick,  and the other choices are to backup the data.  Choose to unbrick and it will run a normal downgrader.   only this time it takes like 5 or 6 minutes for the whole process.  And when you are done, it will turn off your PSP.  Then you restart it.

Don't be surprised if you get a BSOD or you can't get to the Firmware as this is normal.  Just keep trying and it will come up with the Firmware at 1.50, which prolly means your game just loaded if your like me and have a game in it all the time!

I'll include the final bits in here from the Readme,  including the credits.  If you have any questions then ask me or sim.

Thanks for reading and enjoy your Pandora's Battery.  Remember that DAX released this for free.  and asked for lots of money for this service isn't right or fair.  Be more compassionate for the people who have to wait just like you did.  Also remember that DAX doesn't condone using his FW or Downgrading to Pirate games.  And you can bet that now this is out,  Sony will shoot the price of games into the sky unless we keep it that way.  Please,  buy games for your PSP,  don't make us honest gamers foot the bills ourselves for your selfishness.   Have some compassion.

Here are the Credits and Notes and Restrictions

"NOTES AND RESTRICTIONS
- The firmware in the Memory Stick is not a full 1.50, but a minimal
  subset. Therefore, not all applications (such as flashers, or
  recovery apps) will load.
- Only Memory Stick Pro Duo are compatible. Memory Stick Duo
  (e.g. 32MB sticks) are not supported.
- The IDStorage cannot be totally restored, as there is no known way
  to regenerate it properly.
- It is strongly RECOMMENDED to make a flash dump of the PSP before
  any downgrading operation.
- There might be a BSOD at the end of the downgrade. This is normal,
  and happens on the standard downgraders.
- All hardware revisions known at this day are supported.
- This release contains no Sony-copyrighted material.  All required
  Sony data is generated from the v1.50 update files.

CREDITS
- Please do not edit or remove these credits... ;)
- All work done by the Prometheus team aka Team C+D:

Adrahil (VoidPointer)
  Booster
  Cswindle (Caretaker)
  Dark_AleX (Malyot)
  Ditlew
  Fanjita (FullerMonty)
  Joek2100 (CosmicOverSoul)
  Jim
  Mathieulh (WiseFellow)
  Nem (h1ckeyph0rce)
  Psp250
  Skylark
  TyRaNiD (bockscar)

- With thanks to everyone who has contributed to the PSPSDK, without which
  nothing would have been possible."

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 11:09:07 PM by Kenshinffx »

Offline simcityltd

• Cyberpyrot's Personal Assistant
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0

• AcidMods
Re: Pandora's Battery Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:19:44 AM »
Nice Tut Ken.

Yup if you need any help feel free to ask me or ken

Offline Altes

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:22:32 AM »
Very thorough, wished you made it yesterday....I spent an hour making my Jigstick, took me 15 mins to remember that i need to set my PSP to 1.5 kernel lol..... Great Tut again.

Thanks Yellow24 =D

Offline kypes

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:26:29 AM »
nice tut man ! :tup:
i think alot of people will need it

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 03:31:07 AM »
Very thorough, wished you made it yesterday....I spent an hour making my Jigstick, took me 15 mins to remember that i need to set my PSP to 1.5 kernel lol..... Great Tut again.

OMG I know.  the worst thing about the readme is it doesn't state anything about the CMD prompt.   You have to catch on to the subtle hints.

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 03:37:56 AM »
nice tut but there was a few typo but nothing to fret about  :tup:

PINOY AKO

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 03:53:48 AM »
nice tut but there was a few typo but nothing to fret about  :tup:

It's 5am bro..  So sue me.  LOL   :rofl:

Offline Altes

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 04:05:32 AM »
The first time you do it is hard, then you read the read me again and you feel extremely stupid that you wasted so much time on something so easy xD But yeah, they need to go into using CMD more....=\ OR someone should make an easy installer =D

Thanks Yellow24 =D

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 04:57:13 AM »
nice job man!cant wait to do this!

Offline 4dP

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Modder For Hire - AM Donator
    • Modder For Hire website Hire me
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 11:29:59 AM »
if you decide to update the tut u should post screenshots and crop them just to make it better :yess:

PINOY AKO

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 12:38:09 PM »
if you decide to update the tut u should post screenshots and crop them just to make it better :yess:

That's okay I guess.  But this doesn't require something like that.  Jsut try doing it.  All you really have to do is type it exactly as I put it.  It's not that hard.

Offline DemonBloode

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Avatar By Neubit xD Neubit Rocks
    • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »
sweet tut ken keep it up :clap: :tup: :#1:
                                                                                        Sig Made By Neubit

Offline budgray19

• Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • OH NO MY CHITTY CHICKEN, NOO NOT MY CHITTY BEEF
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 05:52:43 PM »
unfortinitaly.. i cant use this
but hey good job.. it seems to be working for ppl and thats what matters

live long, hack free

Offline gbodiford

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2007, 11:24:27 AM »
thanks ken, i just successfully unbricked my buddy's psp
very nice tut, keep it up man :)
It's great to be back guys!

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hiding under your bed devouring your dreams..
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 01:16:30 AM »
Man you're great!~!!Now I don't have any questions about pandora stuff!!! You rule!! Now I can go on and downgrade 4 psp's!! I was more worried about the battery convertion but now I know that I can switch it back to normal!! Thx ken!!!!!!!!!

Aricado: Kenshinffx made my sig.
"I made your Avatar too!"
Aricado: Get outta my head!!!!

Offline gzero87

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:46 AM »
I just tried this today!! Great tutorial man, it really guided you throuh every step and was easy.

This Pandora's Battery is simply amazing props for the program. Great job Ken. I hope i can fix some of the psps i have with this. Hehe

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hiding under your bed devouring your dreams..
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2007, 05:42:20 AM »
Hey ken!! I have downgraded all of the psp's I had to a few minutes ago!! It took me less than 15 minutes and all the processes through psp and pc didn't take more than 2 minutes to complete!! Now I'll go on to install custom fw on them.And I have a question..Does the blue screen(same one when a psp bricks) that tells you to press O to restore the psp have to appear??I did press O and everything is running ok..

EDIT:I just installed OE to all of them.thx again ken!! and mostly thx to all the staff that made the pandora applications!!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 06:27:20 AM by Aricado »

Aricado: Kenshinffx made my sig.
"I made your Avatar too!"
Aricado: Get outta my head!!!!

Offline Slimby

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 08:58:15 PM »
I need an answer for a quick question. After you push X to downgrade, what are the buttons you have to push to get the downgrader working? For some reason the black screen problem happened to one of my customers, and he's trying to do it blind.

Slimby

Slimby for prez.

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 02:13:09 AM »
should still be X

edhel

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 12:30:38 PM »
good tut but i personally prefer the easy installer

koolaiid24

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 11:39:45 AM »
hey wat is a BSOD  and a flash dump?

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »
BSOD= Blue Screen Of Death

Flash Dump = dumping i.e. getting hold of directly the data help on the internal flash memory

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline tboandfshady

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • tboandfshady
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 02:33:51 AM »
can i BORROW a pandoras  battery and memory card plz
any 1 who has one ill pay £5 to use it  u send it i use it and send it back sameday wiv moneys plz im running linux so i cant do it even if i had a psp wiv custom firmwere
so plz plz plz plz plz can you email me at  t-bo_@hotmail.co.uk if you have one
(ps u can also lemmie keep it or lemmie use it 4 free  )

edhel

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 02:47:04 AM »
PM me and we can sort something out   :tup:

Offline bveals

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2007, 05:10:29 PM »
what is the smallest size memory stick you can use :confused:

Offline ndrew2505

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2007, 03:55:55 AM »
as long as its a pro duo it doesnt matter bout the size. just make sure its a pro duo and not a duo.

Offline isaiah87

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »
i,ve heard of the pandoras battery but what does it do? why would you want to do it?

Offline Diabloisbazerk

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007, 09:39:23 PM »
im a n00b when it comes to modding and i wanted too kno if i downgraded too 1.5 with pandora would i stiil be able to update later if i wanted too...

diabloisbazerk@hotmail.com
Those who say do not know,Those who know do not say
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:42:58 PM by Diabloisbazerk »

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007, 04:13:03 AM »
Im guessing this will also work with the Ultimate installer, aslong as the files are the right names.

I keep on getting "The game could not be started (8002014C)" With all defaults, and everything set right (when trying to run The Installer)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 04:49:36 AM by MattZani »
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline myx94

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2007, 05:55:10 AM »
HEY GUYS!! To prevent errors and problems regarding Pandora's Battery, why don't you just use Pandora's GUI?!?!?!

I posted a thread about it:
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=11280.0

That's All!! :tup:
***if you have questions about pandora's battery, you can send a message to me....***

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal