Author Topic: Non posters  (Read 9822 times)

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Non posters
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
the maintnance software will do it automatically, I can set it to delete members with 0 posts of less than 5, any option we choose. again, I wouldnt delete any member with any posts.

Infact I was just putting the idea out there thinking deeply into it I wouldnt delete any of them as there are alot of members who have 0 posts but brows the forum without posting, alsounregistered members cant see the shoutbox, so people may register, never post  just to see the shoutbox.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 12:58:53 PM »
deleting members is bad business(barring unactivated accounts), unless you are running the uber leet exclusive forum its is unessacary.  there are certain members that would have liked it that way when AM was making news every other week, but I am sure most if not all of them would not make that kind of suggestion today... in 2007 the active members had no idea why or how AM would achieve a member base of almost 20,000.  we have seen similar suggestion threads over the years and it never ceases to amaze how quickly people remember when they were noobs.

As far a bumping topics, if you bump the topic and its relevant, you should not be scolded for it.  One of the reasons bumping old topics is an issue is when someone posts in order to "bump" the topic to the top of the unread list (usually the topic author) it is usually irrellavant and you get a bunch of garbage conversations in what used to be a usefull thread.  There is one other reason I can think of not to bump that pertains to a modding/repair site such as ours;  If you bump an old topic seeking help it may be overlooked by members because the topic is over with and the are not as likely to revisit it.

I do notice the "dont bump old topics" phrase being used too liberally around here and little explanation is ever given to the poster by the moderator or member that replys with it.  It is a case of trying to be helpful and enforce the rules because one is eager to be helpful.  We dont have many moderation issues at AM so it is easy for mods and members to jump on the few infractions that occur.

bumping rules should be revisitted in code of conduct.

Offline Kilokk

• In your AM modding your forums
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +9/-7
  • In the shadows of darkness I stand in the light.
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 03:26:59 AM »
yeah... not gonna lie i do get bored now and then. 

the thing that i DONT like is when someone bumps a 3 year old topic about a mod or repair with misinformation about said mod or repair. 

Offline FreeK

• a-LeeK
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Team CYBER for life
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
WOAH. I got quoted from like 4 years ago :O

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal