Author Topic: Wanting to buy a new LCD screen  (Read 5931 times)

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Wanting to buy a new LCD screen
« on: December 09, 2007, 10:27:47 PM »
Alright, so I effed the ribbon wire for my DS lite while I trying to attach a new ghost case, and now I need to buy a new LCD screen(top one). Thankfully, they sell they spares online. Unfortunately, they only have the LCD screens by themselves, not the speakers. I still have the speakers leftover, but the problem is, once I get my LCD screen, I won't know how to attach the speakers together with it. I have ZERO soldering experience. So, what should I do.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: Wanting to buy a new LCD screen
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 11:19:41 PM »
learn to solder, or entrust your ds lite to one of our handy modders for hire

Offline Curoudo Sutaraifu

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 11:21:13 PM »
u can to buy a used/broken ds lite for parts... that way u dun have to solder.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 11:23:02 PM by Curoudo Sutaraifu »

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 03:45:39 AM »
learn to solder, or entrust your ds lite to one of our handy modders for hire
I suppose learning to solder is my only option then. My parents have soldering experience. I mean, it's not that difficult, right?
u can to buy a used/broken ds lite for parts... that way u dun have to solder.
See, the thing is if I buy a used DS, I'd be paying extra. All I really need is the top screen.

Offline Curoudo Sutaraifu

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 06:49:06 AM »
i thought u didnt want to solder so i jus wanted to help

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 05:55:14 PM »
Yeah, but meh I 2nd that, soldering ain't that hard anyway. If you're REALLY having problems with it, just set a piece of paper or anything to catch the solder in a table. Start grabbing your gun, and place some small amount of solder on it, so that it stays in place. Find yourself a good, stripped, disposable wire, and use some Roxin Flux on it. Then from there, slowly, but carefully place the gun with the wire, (holding the wire with something other then your hands of course unless you want to be burned quickly), watching the solder get transfurred from the gun to the wire, and there you have it! You just got laid....erm ahem, I mean, you just learned how to solder something! :D in any case you just have to solder like, 4 points from the speakers on the screen, and like a few more for the screen to the mobo itself.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:28:24 AM »
Alright, I guess I'll buy a new LCD screen. One last question: what do I do about the speakers? I doubt they'll come with the Top LCD screen when I order it, so obviously, I have to use the ones I already have and solder them to the new one. Question is: how do I do that? Do I just yank the wires off?

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »
you unsolder the wires from the old screen, dont worry, Speakers are usually just a + and - wire, with a good sized patch to solder to.
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

TheG4mer

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
I think Rocky got his alll on ebay, really cheap, look ther for spare parts.

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:31:25 AM »
Actually, I do have another question: how do I know whether or not I've blown the fuse for my DS's motherboard. I wasn't exactly too careful when I opened up my DS, so I neglected the risk of static. I don't want to buy a new lcd screen only to find out that my motherboard won't work. That would be a major *****. When I turn on the DS with the Top screen's ribbon connected, the bottom screen turns on, but the top screen doesn't(I've already established that the ribbon's been broken,) then the whole thing shuts off within a second.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 10:35:05 AM »
are you sure that the ribbon is in all the way?
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:32 AM »
Yes, I'm fairly sure.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2007, 11:55:09 AM »
Yes, I'm fairly sure.
becuase breaking that is like breaking your finger, puting gloves on switching them :P you get the idea, I worked alot of case swaps, and one time I tryed a stress test on one lcd ribbon, took awhile to break it
However today I was brutally raped by a door handle, and none of my friends helped me up off the floor after ten minutes, instead they all teabaged me, all 10 of them...

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007, 03:56:19 AM »
Well, like I said, I'm fairly sure the ribbon's damaged. The ribbon looks wrinkled, because, being the idiot I am, I was too careless while handling it. And I've pushed it as fair as I could, and I still get the same results.

All I want to know right now is whether or not I damaged the mobo or blown the fuse.

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »
Well, like I said, I'm fairly sure the ribbon's damaged. The ribbon looks wrinkled, because, being the idiot I am, I was too careless while handling it. And I've pushed it as fair as I could, and I still get the same results.

All I want to know right now is whether or not I damaged the mobo or blown the fuse.
so if it wrikeled? it still would be hard to break, I dont think you put it in all the way in

and yeah, if one srean only went on, put it in more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont think its fuse, ussually it wont even turn on or have a screan flash

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
I've got further problems...

One of the bottom screen's ribbon's have been severed. The thin, small one. It was disconnected right at the area it's connected to the mobo. I have a another bottom screen, but the problem is, I have no idea how to install that part.

I'm sorry for all the problems. I just really suck at this... You have no idea how discouraged I am right now.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 03:38:16 PM by Calamityx1 »

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2007, 04:17:24 PM »
Bump: Please help, will that one wire for the bottom screen make a difference? I'm guessing it will, but how do install a new one?

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 05:32:14 PM »
nstalling the bottun part of the screan is fairly hard  and I my self have broken that clip one time, I solder those toghter cuz It was such  pain, you may need to solder them toghter

Offline Calamityx1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2007, 01:19:37 AM »
By "clip," you mean the black piece of plastic right? Do I have to keep that, or should I wield that too?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2007, 08:30:59 AM »
Well if you broke that, it should mean the touch screen won't work, as in it can't respond to touching, there was a topic bout that. At this point you're going to have to buy a new touch screen unless you can join the ribbon cable together on the bottom screen, and of course still put the top screen in.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline MARIOPARTY53

• I DONT FAIL
  • BANNED
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Pc Gaming Rules
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »
By "clip," you mean the black piece of plastic right? Do I have to keep that, or should I wield that too?
You got to take it offf(I did) the black plasic and solder them toghter, if your doing my way

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal