Author Topic: Coolmods.co.uk Clear Case Problems ---- FIXED!!!!  (Read 9946 times)

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
Coolmods.co.uk Clear Case Problems ---- FIXED!!!!
« on: May 16, 2007, 10:13:09 PM »
Oks before I go and flame I want to let everyone know I have contacted Geoff at coolmods and i'm waiting on a response, but n the mean time I wanna know if anyone else has had similar issues or know what my individual situation is:

I got my clear backplate and faceplate from coolmods.co.uk today
disassembled a working psp
installed mobo all the way to the power switch

Problem 1:

silver trim on clear case, the actual switch that you touch to turn the psp on, well it did not reach the black switch on the mobo so i figured i would just use the trim of the orignal backplate, well the trim had to be dremmeled down and the backplate(clear) had to be dremeled as well so it would fit.

I didn't think this much of a problem, just a slight mod no harm no fowl so I continue on ... I get the psp back together, once back together there are minor gaps, where the umd door joins against the backplate at the bottom of the umd door, and I had to press the faceplate semi-hard to get the faceplate screws to grab, once screwed down though it seemed to fit correctly. At this time I hadn't put the last and final faceplate screw in (the bottom screw)

Problem #2

I put in a umd, the umd spins and you can see the red laser light, but it won't read the disc, I've tried a couple differen't umd's so its not that, and it made a god awful sound.  I took off the plastic UMD door and tried to find the problem, and here is what I have come up with, If I apply pressure to the bottom of the psp (where the bottom faceplate screw goes) and the screw is NOT in (again still with the umd plastic door off) the psp reads the UMD as soon as i let the pressure off it stop the reading .... i've put the screw in but have had no luck whatsoever and i've put the door back on (without the screw) and got it to read once again applying a fair amount of pressure on the bottom of the psp.  I've been at it now for about 6 hours (i've taken it completely apart, reinstalled it in my oem backplate and everything worked fine)

Problem #3
the gold colored screw sleeves that are pre-installed in the backplate, the place where the umd is fastened and the mobo is also screwed into, well the top right (if looking from the back) just spins in the case, it isn't secure inside the plastic, I had to place a screwdriver on both side to unscrew them and had to use a tiny screwdriver to hold the "sleeve" while I unscrewed the umd screw... anyways it wasn't fun and I just stopped using those anchor points (when reinstalling everything in my old case) currently those screws are secure in the new clear case, but umd is still not functioning correctly

i finally had to stop because frustration was taking over and that is never good with brittle electronics. 

So I have turned to a new family ..... the folk here at acidmods .... any pointers, opinions, knowledge, or know-how of any kind will be greatly appreciated.  I am going to start again tomorrow at work, until then i'm going to check back and see if anyone has anything for me.  If anyone has anyquestions about anything i explained let me know I would post pictures but i left my digi cam at work since i was recording and taking pictures of what i was doing to make a vid ....... anyways I'll figure it out one way or another, if someone else has had these problems and can give advice it will be sooner than later! heheheeh

-PoSeIdOn04
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 12:39:05 PM by Poseidon04 »

Offline lethal_b

• modder in making
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0

Re: Coolmods.co.uk Clear Case Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 01:23:55 AM »
i think the umd prob is caused by a little bit of plastic covering the gears u need to cut the plastic off and it then should be ok thats what most people on here had to do 

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:46:18 AM »
I will try that today, I'll dissasemble and check it out.... hopefully that solves the umd problem.  Thanks and i'll update you this afternoon!!!

-PoSeIdOn04

Offline Zoson

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 08:16:15 AM »
Problem 1:
silver trim on clear case, the actual switch that you touch to turn the psp on, well it did not reach the black switch on the mobo so i figured i would just use the trim of the orignal backplate, well the trim had to be dremmeled down and the backplate(clear) had to be dremeled as well so it would fit.

I didn't think this much of a problem, just a slight mod no harm no fowl so I continue on ... I get the psp back together, once back together there are minor gaps, where the umd door joins against the backplate at the bottom of the umd door, and I had to press the faceplate semi-hard to get the faceplate screws to grab, once screwed down though it seemed to fit correctly. At this time I hadn't put the last and final faceplate screw in (the bottom screw)
This is due to a design change between the original TA-79 PSP's and the TA-81/82/86 PSP's case.  The old switch is in two pieces, you just pop off the 'missing' piece that is NOT supplied and put it on the clear case.  Coolmods expects you to have a TA-79.

Problem #2

I put in a umd, the umd spins and you can see the red laser light, but it won't read the disc, I've tried a couple differen't umd's so its not that, and it made a god awful sound.  I took off the plastic UMD door and tried to find the problem, and here is what I have come up with, If I apply pressure to the bottom of the psp (where the bottom faceplate screw goes) and the screw is NOT in (again still with the umd plastic door off) the psp reads the UMD as soon as i let the pressure off it stop the reading .... i've put the screw in but have had no luck whatsoever and i've put the door back on (without the screw) and got it to read once again applying a fair amount of pressure on the bottom of the psp.  I've been at it now for about 6 hours (i've taken it completely apart, reinstalled it in my oem backplate and everything worked fine)
Once again this is a case revision problem. Take your PSP apart again, and look at the gears on the UMD drive.  You will see that they are contacting a little bit of plastic.  I solved this by heating a flathead screwdriver up and melting away the offending plastic.

Problem #3
the gold colored screw sleeves that are pre-installed in the backplate, the place where the umd is fastened and the mobo is also screwed into, well the top right (if looking from the back) just spins in the case, it isn't secure inside the plastic, I had to place a screwdriver on both side to unscrew them and had to use a tiny screwdriver to hold the "sleeve" while I unscrewed the umd screw... anyways it wasn't fun and I just stopped using those anchor points (when reinstalling everything in my old case) currently those screws are secure in the new clear case, but umd is still not functioning correctly
Drop a little bit of superglue on the outer edge to lock it back in place.

Funny thing is, I had similar problems.  I'm glad you brought up that the old silver trim can fit on the new clear case.  I have issues with my triggers due to the 'new' silver trim.  I'm gonna have to rip apart my psp again and try to fix that up.

Offline bncplix

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • http://www.BncApps.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »
was going to order one of thse, but im not anymore due to all the problems...i have a TA-081 and judging by this, it wont fit properly.
Open source applications and general technology blog: http://www.BncApps.com
Twitter Train
Watch TV Online

Offline noobi

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 12:12:55 PM »
This is due to a design change between the original TA-79 PSP's and the TA-81/82/86 PSP's case.  The old switch is in two pieces, you just pop off the 'missing' piece that is NOT supplied and put it on the clear case.  Coolmods expects you to have a TA-79.
Once again this is a case revision problem. Take your PSP apart again, and look at the gears on the UMD drive.  You will see that they are contacting a little bit of plastic.  I solved this by heating a flathead screwdriver up and melting away the offending plastic.
Drop a little bit of superglue on the outer edge to lock it back in place.

Funny thing is, I had similar problems.  I'm glad you brought up that the old silver trim can fit on the new clear case.  I have issues with my triggers due to the 'new' silver trim.  I'm gonna have to rip apart my psp again and try to fix that up.
You are wise beyond your posts  :#1:

and bncplix, the case will work fine on a ta-081

Offline T3KN1K4L

• Virtual Modder Development Slavedriver!
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Not Admin
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
I haven't installed my inards into either of my clear cases(waiting to get done with the painting), but I have never been happier to have a TA-79.

Offline Zoson

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2007, 01:32:48 PM »
When I get home tonight and take apart my psp to mess with the silver trim, I'll take a picture of the two different switches so you all can visually see what I'm talking about.  I *do* believe that the silver trim on the clear cases can EASILY be modified to fit a TA-81/82/86 switch.  It would simply require you to cut out a small notch in the silver trim, which is exactly what Sony does to make the new switch fit.

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 01:57:38 PM »
Ok QUICK UPDATE, i have to leave the office but I will post pics tonight ......

i have a TA-082 mobo .... I had to modify both the backplate of the clear backplate, and I had to modify the OEM silver trim (with power switch intact)  the umd problem was fixed by dremeling down the plastic that rests up against the umd gears, all in all not a huge problem, as far as the sleeve is concerned, i just simply did not fasten any screws into that sleeve, and everything now works fine umd and all!!!

Contact with Geoff at coolmods.co.uk has been great!!!  He has just responded to help me out when I updated him with the info I just updated you guys with.  I will take elaborate pics tonight and post what needed to be modified to make it work with a TA-082 mobo!!!  Its not hard and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying a board from coolmods!!!  Thats it for now, i'll be posting more later on tonight

-PoSeIdOn04

Offline Zoson

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 02:10:05 PM »
I haven't installed my inards into either of my clear cases(waiting to get done with the painting), but I have never been happier to have a TA-79.
Be sure to still check the gears on your umd drive for clearance after you put it in.

Offline T3KN1K4L

• Virtual Modder Development Slavedriver!
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Not Admin
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 02:16:57 PM »
Be sure to still check the gears on your umd drive for clearance after you put it in.
Will make sure I do, but that won't be for a while, just finnished the first coat of color, and have to let it "cook" (I use a heated paint booth), probably won't even touch it for another day or two, then I won't be done with the painting for about a week or so, but when I finally do get that done I will check the fit.

Offline purechinoy

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • PureChinoy MySpace
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:23:05 PM »
since they always recommend Coolmods as the place to go for your parts....i think it might be a good idea to put up a tutorial on installing the clear casing.  especially since it seems like these problems are commonplace with everyone who buys it.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 09:24:07 PM »
since they always recommend Coolmods as the place to go for your parts....i think it might be a good idea to put up a tutorial on installing the clear casing.  especially since it seems like these problems are commonplace with everyone who buys it.

I am currently in the process of updating and reworking all the tutorials in the Wiki, and I will be adding some as well (including a clear case guide), there is a lot to update and rework, so keep an eye out, I will try to get them all updated as quickly as I can, but I am only one man, so be patient...
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »
Well I know i said I would get picks tonight but unfortunately i'm out of time tonight, but I have free time tomorrow morning, I will completely dissasemble the thing and take high res pics of what exactly needed "modding"  all in all (in retro spec) it wasn't that big of deal in fitting my psp to this case.  Especially with the wealth of knowledge here at ACIDMODS!!!!  I can't wait till I get my LED's!!!

-PoSeIdOn04

codine501

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 05:03:16 AM »
Problem #1:  I dont know why you had to do this?  My original "frame" fit perfectly on the Clear Case.  Maybe you just got a bad case or something.

Problem #2:  If you read around in the forums, many people have had problems with the gears.  There is a small piece of plastic that you have to shave down.

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 11:58:56 AM »
Oks, so I finally got the pics I have said I would have for the last few days, sorry college graduation got in the way :P ahahahahah

SOOOOOO the first, this is the general area you must make sure you have room for your UMD gears, I have the cases top and bottom, top being the clear coolmods.co.uk case, and the bottom being the original sony (if you couldn't tell :P hahaha)

Now, you can see the area both before and after the mobo install. 

Here you can see a close up of what I have dremeled down to have clearance for the umd gears, I took more than needed, but no harm no faul!!

Now, onto the Powerboard and silver trim.... in the next 3 pics you will see the oem backplate(for my TA-082) and the cut-out that the silver trim sits in, then you will see the clear case with a red "outline" of what needs to be cut out, and then the pic of the cut out(with no red line)

Now that you have seen what has been done with the backplate here is the reason why.... the silver trim differences .... on the RIGHT is the trim that came with the clear case, on the left is my original trim, the little power slider is one solid piece that doesn't snap apart, and therefore I couldn't seperate it to place it on the new trim, and it was too bulky to fit into the clear case so I had to dremel it down .... here are the comparisons followed by a closer shot of the modded trim ...

I hope this helps out ... if there is anything i missed let me know and i'll try to address it !!! Thanks for all the help here at acid mods!!  I'm new to the forums but enjoy every bit of it!!!

-PoSeIdOn04

Offline bncplix

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • http://www.BncApps.com
Re: Coolmods.co.uk Clear Case Problems ---- FIXED!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 04:41:54 PM »
poseidon, is all that cutting of the power switch required for every1 that gets this backplate? or just some people?
Open source applications and general technology blog: http://www.BncApps.com
Twitter Train
Watch TV Online

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Pain matters not, Only the Journey ahead
    • Acidmods
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »
Interesting.   My clear Case looks nothing like this..

My Power switch looked fine at first but I still took apart my switch from my old Black Case and moved both the Grey Plastic and the switch to the new case.

I moved all plastic from the old case and moved it to the new one.  It all fits fine pretty much.   The Mem door is a bit too big but some filing will work.

I haven't put the Mobo into the new case yet.  I will see if this happens.

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 04:58:53 PM »
Now that you mention it.   your speakers are sticking out way farther than mine are and the whole thing looks dis proportioned.

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 06:22:47 PM »
poseidon, is all that cutting of the power switch required for every1 that gets this backplate? or just some people?

Well I have only cracked open the TA-082 ... I have another PSP that I haven't even removed the faceplate yet, Its an older mobo for sure, but I haven't checked, so I can only say for the one I showed you ... but from what others say older mobo's have a slightly different setup for the silver trim by the power switch ... and no modification is needed at all in that area.....

Now that you mention it.   your speakers are sticking out way farther than mine are and the whole thing looks dis proportioned.

As for the speakers they aren't seated all the way into their housing so yes they are sticking out a bit in the picture, as far as other things being disporportioned its probably just the angle of the picture, but its possible that things are slightly different.  I'm not writing this so that everyone follows it to the T but I am writing it just incase someone comes across the same problems as me, so they have a reference!!  I hope this help someone out there!!!

-PoSeIdOn04

Offline Poseidon04

• ♥ Poker Champ ♠♣
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 09:08:22 AM »
Final Update

Ok, now that everything is said and done I would also like to let everyone know the great customer service that came from CoolMods.Co.Uk .... even though I dremeled the hell out of their case they said they would take it back and replace it if I wanted to go that route!!! 

Have faith in CoolMods!!!!!  they'rrrrrrrrreee   Grreat!

-PoSeIdOn04

Offline Kenshinffx

• Le Artiste
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Acidmods
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2007, 12:47:12 PM »
Final Update

Ok, now that everything is said and done I would also like to let everyone know the great customer service that came from CoolMods.Co.Uk .... even though I dremeled the hell out of their case they said they would take it back and replace it if I wanted to go that route!!! 

Have faith in CoolMods!!!!!  they'rrrrrrrrreee   Grreat!

-PoSeIdOn04

Well I finally finished my case(Thanks to all of you!  I did it all that night.) 

I ran into some of the problems that others have gotten and I will list them here.

1#  First and Foremost the UMD Door won't shut all the way.  It stay open a slight little bit and the clip doesn't hold well so the door can open with ease without the button.  Oddly enough when you take the faceplate off it will fit perfectly and stay closed.  It only does this after the flaceplate is on.  Anyone else gotten this one?  What can I do to fx it?

2#  Most of the screws wouldn't screw because the case had the hardware postitioned wrongly.  It's still tight but I couldn't reuse all screws.

3#  I got the Gear problem.  Won't read UMD's.  The gears are loud and the UMD's won't spin completely.  What did you guys use to dremmel it down?

4#  Also the Right trigger button didn't fit perfectly so sometimes it get's stuck and won't push.  You have to wriggle it into the gap between the case and the inner most area of the case.

5#  there is a decent size gap where the right trigger goes that lets in dust and crap like all get out.  Other than that once I get my power switch (I accidentally broke off the small black swtich,  I hear it happens alot)  It should work.

Any help with Dremmeling would be nice..
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 12:49:53 PM by Kenshinffx »

Offline Ilzwalrus

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I r smart.
    • My Livejournal, which I update two to three times a day with a fun and witty commentary about the goings-on of society today, occasionally interspersed with meaningful and often thought-provoking tidbits about my extraordinary personal life.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2007, 11:41:58 PM »
Well a Dremel is a rotary power tool. It has lots of different attachments such as cutting tools and sanding tools. Dremel is the brand. :P So you use a Dremel to Dremel it down. Or if you don't want to go out and buy one, you could get a file or just a knife and cut the piece of plastic.

Offline pspklant

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 02:09:53 AM »
The only problem I had was:

1. When i must to place my Wifi in.

Solve: cut it out

2. The UMD-problem

Solve: I will try it soon

3. The third problem is the infrared-problem. I don't know how to replace this part to the clear backplate (: that little piece of "glass").

Have anyone an answer for this problem?

Thanks in andvance,

pspklant

Offline supermoose

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 07:09:52 AM »
if i remember u just strip it down past the motherbored and the ir window will just pop out when pushed
Psp1: 1.52 - 2.00 - 1.50 - 3.03oec with a full clear case and trigger mod
Psp2: 2.81 - 3.03 - 1.50  - 3.40oea with a full matte black case

Offline purechinoy

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • PureChinoy MySpace
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 12:32:59 PM »
i'm having a problem with the battery cover on my clear faceplate.  not to sure what the problem is...it seems like my battery sticks out to far and i can't quite get the cover to close all the way. 

anyone else have this problem?  or know how to fix this?

Offline pspklant

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 02:05:27 PM »
i'm having a problem with the battery cover on my clear faceplate.  not to sure what the problem is...it seems like my battery sticks out to far and i can't quite get the cover to close all the way. 

anyone else have this problem?  or know how to fix this?

Nop... sorry I don't know how to solve this. The only "problem" I have with the battery is that I can't get him out on a normally way:p.

Greetz:)

Offline sakobatoneko

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2008, 09:45:51 PM »
i have a problem with my clear case the antenna doesnt fit where it goes and the power board is being raised up because of it. One hole for the umd screws is filled up by the see through plastic also when i put it all together my umd keeps opening untill i force it in and make it get stuck to the little hook, a little tap and it will open again. how can i fix that?   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 09:57:03 PM by sakobatoneko »

Offline WetiNZ

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 12:41:01 AM »
I was guna order one of these but argh too much hassle :wacko:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal