Author Topic: Slim keyboard idea, seems feasible if not rather difficult  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Slim keyboard idea, seems feasible if not rather difficult
« on: December 31, 2007, 07:00:34 PM »
So it seems well documented that a SIO keyboard is possible on the original PSP as far as I can tell. So well documented that PiKey even had support for such a keyboard even though I don't recall any POC ever arriving.

The threads that give the most evidence that such a thing is possible are these:
http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=81990
http://forums.noobz.eu/general-support/prototype-of-sio-keyboard/0/

I had some other threads I want to look up again but for now those seem to be the strongest evidence that it is possible. I know that for me this is just a theoretical modification because I have a lot of issues with hardware modifications and after this week I just won't have the time for another several months. Something that I was wondering is how possible is it to add a IR port to the Slim so that you could use one of the existing keyboards?

Thanks for any thoughts and your time.

Edit:
Another one of the things I've come across that has left me thinking it is possible:
http://www.neotomek.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 11:30:06 PM by Korlithiel »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
Re: Slim keyboard idea, seems feasible if not rather difficult
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 08:36:32 PM »
Slim has no IR.Not gonna happen unless you hardwire a keyboard...

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 11:24:47 PM »
That's exactly the idea actually, I know that it has seemed feasible to make a ps/2 keyboard into one that connects via the remote port on the original for almost 2 years now so that is why I'm wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to do it on the Slim.

Offline Siggen

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • FileSock.Sourceforge.net
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:32:27 PM »
i think there was a guy who did a USB key board....
try to look through the old news posts on QJ.net

Tech Support Crew at The Gathering 08 (worlds second biggest LAN party)

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:29:28 AM »
I have looked, there seems no records of a USB keyboard because of the difficulties involved. I have found much evidence that the remote port has been used for keyboard input in numerous places though and I am just wondering if anyone has heard of anything such as this on the Slim.

If anyone thinks they can do this mod and test it to make sure it is working I can pay for the materials and probably a bit for your time.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:04:07 AM by Korlithiel »

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 09:08:35 PM »
I hate to double post, but I wanted one last shot to see if anyone was interested in doing this mod so I can make the change to a Slim before the keyboard comes out in 2009 (assuming Sony sticks to their time frame).

Offline anthonyta

• MFH
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 09:41:23 PM »
if you dont read psp-hacks news or even this forums news. sony might be releasing a keyboard for the psp. which means a firmware update along with the skype etc. get with the program buddy   :dntknw:

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:33:36 PM »
I've read the news, mid-2009 is a long ways from now according to the CES press releases.

Seems those on PSP-Hacks also report the mid-2009 release date.

Not to mention this would be a way cooler keyboard to use with your PSP then the one that was revealed (those pictures show what looks to be the same keyboard as the one Logic 3 developed for the PSP and then never got to release because Sony ****** them) and I would at least get to move on to a Slim in the meantime without losing one of my main needs from my PSP.

Offline prettierwendead

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • You Are My Living Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 12:00:08 PM »
that picture IS teh logic 3 keyboard sony havnt releasd pics of theres yet just w8 they wil start popping up every where soon by every 3rd party company

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 06:36:31 PM »
Maybe they will, but until they are on the market I really can't justify buying a PSP Slim and was hoping to not have to wait another year and a half or so. By that time I should be saving for the PSP 2 (whether it be just another hardware SKU or the next in line doesn't matter, Sony has already started dropping the PSP).

Offline najlkin

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 11:42:53 AM »
Is connection of ps/2 clock to usb data+ possible? (rest is same:vcc,gnd,d+) :dntknw: It works from USB mouse to ps/2 on PC
This way(USB) should be simpler  :winker:, but there will be only input from keyboard, so no leds of num lock,...  :sadno:
 :cool: table:
usb Pin
Name
usb Pin
Number
DirectionPS/2 keybrd Pin
Number
PS/2 keybrd Pin
Name
VDC +5V1-->4VDC +5V
Data-2<--1Data
Data+3<--5Clock
Ground4<--3Ground
(sorry for some mistakes, I'm not from english speaking country)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:45:31 AM by najlkin »

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 07:52:44 PM »
with the old one i think you could just use a cool ir keyboard which beams the text onto a table or something be really cool. but its pretty big. maybe its jut batt. mull it over....

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline Korlithiel

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:39:41 PM »
najlkin
Sony isn't the only company to have shown that it is possible to connect a keyboard to the USB port. As for connecting to the USB port, currently it would be useless anyways since PiKey and all known homebrew only works with IR keyboards and through the remote port to my knowledge, unless someone here feels like doing the hardware modification and the software.

Canadajames
I know the original PSP can use a keyboard, I do so with mine from time to time but was hoping to move on to using a Slim and this sort of modification would be the only way without waiting on Sony and hoping they don't break another PSP promise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal