Author Topic: My trip to Radio Shack  (Read 4951 times)

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
My trip to Radio Shack
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/RoBot1ks/RadioShack.jpg

It all totaled up to about $58
Not too bad is it?
Oh yeah which Resistors do I need for the psp?
I have 10 Ohm 1/2 watt and 10 Ohm 1/4 watt   

Thanks

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
Re: My trip to Radio Shack
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »
just a little fyi, you are better off with a corded iron rather than that cold heat. I have a cold heat, I used it once and it wouldnt even melt the solder and now it sits in my barn under everything else that fails...

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »
just a little fyi, you are better off with a corded iron rather than that cold heat. I have a cold heat, I used it once and it wouldnt even melt the solder and now it sits in my barn under everything else that fails...

I just wanted to try it out...looked cool. :w00t:
Yeah seems like alot of people have a pile of junk that doesn't work...It happens  :sadno:
I might be able to take it back in right?

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 06:49:03 PM »
yeah everything is neat 'cept for teh coldheat like skullmaster said

0-800 my ass.....thing dosn't work at all :(

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
yeah everything is neat 'cept for teh coldheat like skullmaster said

0-800 my ass.....thing dosn't work at all :(

Yeah thanks for you guys help..I think I might just exchange the cold heat for the $10 15 watt soldering iron I was going to get. :hifive:

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 08:14:43 PM »
ESD wrist straps are cool, but ive never used one on a psp and ive never had a issue.

i use them when im working on my comp, hell i don't eaven use one when im working with IC's at school

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 08:25:28 PM »
hell i don't eaven use one when im working with IC's at school

Haha, you think that would be the one place you would wear one, lol

Offline Curoudo Sutaraifu

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
i have one too, but i never use it. you have to have the tip touch the circuit board along with the solder otherwise it won't work. and even then it only works 20% of the times i try. say you wanna wire some 0603 leds, not gonna happen.

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:18:59 AM »
i have one too, but i never use it. you have to have the tip touch the circuit board along with the solder otherwise it won't work. and even then it only works 20% of the times i try. say you wanna wire some 0603 leds, not gonna happen.

Yeah I got home and opened it up and automatically knew that the tip wasn't going to do the small soldering jobs I need to do. Once my phat psp comes in the mail I will have to have a soldering gun. I have about a week to get back to Radio Shack before I get my package.

Maybe that will explain why I shouldn't use it...
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh301/RoBot1ks/Dsc00295.jpg
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 03:35:48 AM by RoBot1ks »

Offline *FuFa

• learn2/spell/
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Spam King Barfday Boy¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯ ¯\(°_o)/¯
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:58:42 AM »
Your Cold heat nor your 15 watt solder iron will be able to do anything with the solder braid, it simply won't work, you need a really high wattage Iron for Solder braid, just a information.

Have no shame in being kindly and gentle, but if the time comes in the time of your life to kill, kill and have no regret. In the time of your life, live so that, in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it.

Offline ndrew2505

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 08:06:26 AM »
Your Cold heat nor your 15 watt solder iron will be able to do anything with the solder braid, it simply won't work, you need a really high wattage Iron for Solder braid, just a information.
i use a 15 watt and it works fine. it just takes a second or two to heat up.

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 01:34:58 PM »

Things just keep getting better don't they..lol. I also have a 25 watt soldering iron. Will that work for the braid?

Offline Canadajames

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
just kinda crush the wire until your wires kinda halfway through it its what i do with my 20 watt and i get decent results i could switch it up to 40 watts i guess.

Ken i wouldnt have done it any other way
https://www.acidmods.com/forum/index.php?topic=15400.0

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 05:31:11 PM »
Hmm pretty decent list for a modder :D. I agree with everyone else though, COLDHEAT BLOWS, literally, it won't solder much, and under pressure, you'll want to throw it agaisnt something, lol. I didn't buy the Anti-Static strap, but I haven' shorted anything with my body, yet :P. Only thing I shorted was a fuse on the DS from putting the battery the wrong way :laugh:. The Helping Hands, is as the name says, your 2 extra hands in soldering and holding anything, it pwns. Sadly, I went cheap, and bought a smaller version of it on Ebay for 8 bucks, it aint bad at holding, but the maginifying glass is too small to do much T_T. In any case, it's a good list to start with, hopefully you sell the cold heat to some sap ( :D), and get a good run with your materials.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 05:33:13 AM »
just kinda crush the wire until your wires kinda halfway through it its what i do with my 20 watt and i get decent results i could switch it up to 40 watts i guess.

Ok I will try that..thanks

Hmm pretty decent list for a modder :D. I agree with everyone else though, COLDHEAT BLOWS, literally, it won't solder much, and under pressure, you'll want to throw it agaisnt something, lol. I didn't buy the Anti-Static strap, but I haven' shorted anything with my body, yet :P. Only thing I shorted was a fuse on the DS from putting the battery the wrong way :laugh:. The Helping Hands, is as the name says, your 2 extra hands in soldering and holding anything, it pwns. Sadly, I went cheap, and bought a smaller version of it on Ebay for 8 bucks, it aint bad at holding, but the maginifying glass is too small to do much T_T. In any case, it's a good list to start with, hopefully you sell the cold heat to some sap ( :D), and get a good run with your materials.

Yeah I already feel like throwing it and I haven't even used it yet..lol I got to use my anti-static wrist band yesterday when I was fixing my psp. I strapped myself to the lamp and I almost jerked it off of the desk :laughing:

Is there any reason to keep my umd drive?

Offline Tec_

• EL-Wire King
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • EL Wire King
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
edhel, quit screwing with the newbys

Offline dedafmonteur

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +4/-0
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 11:06:49 AM »
i like the word coldheat.....

it sounds stupid...cause WTF is cold heat....its or cold...or heat/hot

Offline RoBot1ks

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • 1 r n00ber
    • Myspace
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 01:20:20 PM »
sorry tec but its so tempting

okay robot there is no reason to keep drive if you dont want to play umds, all though i m not "With" the cfw scene atm, but i think that sometimes you ahev to hav ea u,d int he drive for it to play backups, like no umd function

but taking out lets you put mods in there without wasting space :)

lol I was trying to figure out how it would explode lol.. Oh by the way, if it is better, anybody can call me robo or something.. just easier.  :victory:
I could still do the no umd function, just have to have another psp to do the backups, then transfer the data to my memory stick.

i like the word coldheat.....

it sounds stupid...cause WTF is cold heat....its or cold...or heat/hot
I think you have something there..I was just too busy trying to figure out which soldering iron I need, not the names of them...but maybe I should pay more attention to obviously incorrect or stupid things like ColdHeat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal