Author Topic: Magnetic Closure - is it safe?  (Read 2392 times)

Offline Hesperox

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Magnetic Closure - is it safe?
« on: March 01, 2008, 12:54:27 AM »
I wanted to make magnetic closing for my DS Lite using neodymium (NIB) magnets (probably the smallest ones),
and also wanted to ask about yours opinion about that because I'm not sure if it is safe. Can anybody tell me
how magnet will interfere with other DSL components (LCDs, wi-fi, MoBo, game cardridges, speakers, etc.)?

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Magnetic Closure - is it safe?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 02:47:47 AM »
Can't say much to be honest. I thought you were saying this so that you can try the reed switch mod, that allows you to use a magnet to turn the DS on. Can you explain what you want to do? I'm kinda confused on it.  :confused:
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 02:57:36 AM »
the magnets will play around with the speakers
Derp.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:01:01 AM »
not just that, but have you ever wondered why your ds goes into sleep mode only when you close the lid?

its because the speakers are magnets and they set off a switch

ie you will be in constant sleep

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:35:14 AM »
Wow that I did not know at all. I kept wondering how it did that since there was no switch that made it sleep when you closed the hinge heh. Well what exactly is he trying to do though, like put mangets all around his ds?
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Hesperox

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 04:13:57 AM »
I'm posting an image on which I mark position in which I want to place a magnet and a metal plate to make
it "stick" (the same for the left DS side).

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 04:17:51 AM »
gotcha, as long as the metal plate is in the bottom compartment and the magnet is in the top and relatively weak so speaker operation is not affected you shoud be cool to go

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 05:41:42 AM »
Oh wow that's a first right there. Adding magnets on the inside to keep it closed well. The only thing I can see that can go wrong here, is probably having to open it and close it w/o giving the case any strain since it will take more starting power to open it :P, that and the whole reed switch mod would be screwed here since the switch might be too close to the magnets as it is, unless the reed switch can work that way and have a third magnet mess with the current magnetic field. If anything, try to use something small but try to prevent using powerful magnets, as I see these messing your ds up, either through messing the case up or just screwing your speakers up. The main thing you need to know is that you will need some really flat magnets, since the wifi board is on that corner, and the other one is pretty empty, so probably some flat magnets will do the trick, and let you close the ds right. A cool idea would be to cut a part of the plastic off in the ds, and replace them with flat metal triangles, like right in the corners.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 05:45:23 AM by seikene »

Offline Hesperox

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »
O.K. so I'll just have to try how it works with different magnet types. Maybe I will use some screening
for speakers to protect them from my magnets :laughing:.

These magnets are rather small so I think there would be no problem in filling them in DSL case ( 2mm diameter 4mm width or 3mmx2,5mmx1mm "boxes").

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:24 AM »
Hmm that should work, just be careful with the wifi board. If it gets ripped by accident, the DS will still work but have a range of like negatives lol. Naw more like 2-5 feet, so careful because the cable is actually pretty weak.

Offline tanoz

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
i would say they need to be very weak magnets. i tried putting my iphone headphones over the dpad and it put it into sleep mode and we know how weak them speakers are.
Lots of gaming stuff but too lazy to mention =]

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 10:25:27 AM »
Your :censored:ting me? lol wow, sounds like you can't put just about anything there then, unless you stick like microscopic power magnets (they don't exists) in there :D. I'm wondering if trying to drill a hole in to each corner of the top DS, then sticking small rod like magnets in there. Then drilling 2 holes in the bottom part, where they can close together and the rods go through the holes. At the bottom of those holes are small metal plates that they can stick to. Since they're in rod form, they won't be as powerful as flatter magnets, and probably won't be powerful enough to mess with the speakers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal