Author Topic: QUESTION: PS2 controller for PSP  (Read 5131 times)

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
QUESTION: PS2 controller for PSP
« on: June 05, 2008, 03:00:57 PM »
I am wondering if it is possible to use a PS2 controller with the PSP without takeing the PSP apart (because I am a noob). I had two ideas.

One idea was to use usbhost in irshell. Here is a vid of someone doing this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg6KH1zw99Y

except they are using remotejoy and a pc. I was wondering if it could be done without the pc.

The other idea has to do with the was the psp head phone remote works, through the psp serial port.

Offline Cratos

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • http://necaonline.com/images/news/kratos/kratoscorrex1large.jpg
Re: QUESTION: PS2 controller for PSP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »
um i have a question for you, why would you post a idea for a soft mod on a hard mod site. Seriously.

Offline Wedge

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 08:22:13 PM »
um i have a question for you, why would you post a idea for a soft mod on a hard mod site. Seriously.

i have a question for you; why would you post such an :censored: comment.

acidmods isn't just about hard mods...(otherwise it would be called acidhardmods lol)
Shut up, I know I am a pessimist.

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 09:01:49 PM »
Wedge got a point there...

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline crashman2k7

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 01:44:51 AM »
owNeD

VoX

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 04:29:18 AM »
If this was a hardmod site, then why is there a software sub forum?

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »

I thought this could be done with a combination of software and hardware. I would need to make the psp somehow host externally with a full blown computer on a little circut board. And connecting the Ps2 controller to a Ps2 > USB and that to a USB > Usb Mini B. With the little computer somewhere in the connection or inside the controller. And mabey have some software that goes in the seplugins that will reconize the controller when the PSP boots.

I was hoping to get some ideas from the amazing modders of this site.

VoX

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 09:11:27 AM »
Heavy software programming and hardware modding is required in that idea, its is very similar to the Hard Drive mod. You best option is to by a PS1 controller and mod it to the PSP, I am in the middle of writing a tutorial on how to build one. It is easy if you are some what experienced with modding

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »
Heavy software programming and hardware modding is required in that idea, its is very similar to the Hard Drive mod. You best option is to by a PS1 controller and mod it to the PSP, I am in the middle of writing a tutorial on how to build one. It is easy if you are some what experienced with modding

I didn't realy want to open my psp, I know thats the easiest way, I kinda suck with a soddering iron. But I'll be interested in your tut when ever you finish it.

VoX

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
I'm about half way through through finishing it, Practice with a soldering iron in the mean time

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »
Is your method going to be the doc ock design or the single cable?

VoX

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
I am going to show how to do both, and where to route the wires ect. for each one

Offline miceen0

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 08:44:06 AM »
I am going to show how to do both, and where to route the wires ect. for each one

I just got the best idea to go along with your mod. If you don't do this I will do it if I do you mod. You ought to put a switch on the controler to change what the right analog maps, from the dpad to ^ O X []. This would be help full some fps's (I got the idea while playing metal gear solid portable ops) and in the n64 emulator.

Thought this could help your tut get more views.

Offline DUKE

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:47:27 AM »
lol noticed Cratos hasn't posted another comment.   :rofl:

VoX

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 09:08:50 AM »
I just got the best idea to go along with your mod. If you don't do this I will do it if I do you mod. You ought to put a switch on the controler to change what the right analog maps, from the dpad to ^ O X []. This would be help full some fps's (I got the idea while playing metal gear solid portable ops) and in the n64 emulator.

Thought this could help your tut get more views.

That would require an IC to switch between the two A2D boards, complex but I may include it.

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:16:43 PM »
I had given a lot of thought to what you wanted to do earlier. but there are some problems.

PIC makes an 8 bit micro that has usb host on it. The joystick shows up as a human interface device. Thats great.

The PSP shows up as a storage device ONLY.

The PSP will not communicate with its stock software at the same time you are in a game.

Otherwise the PSP could read a file that the PIC created to see the key presses  that PIC read from the joystick.

Because I have one of those PIC's that does USB, and I can read from a hard drive and from a usb joystick.

The operating system of the PSP is not multitasking as far as I know, this makes it hard.

I have worked on a team writing usb host software for another project and it took almost 6 months of three people to make everything work right. And that was with a proc that we had control of the interrupt levels.

VoX

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 07:25:55 PM »
A forum member, Drajwer, Had a really good idea and is currently building it. His idea was to get a PS2 to PS/2 or USB converter and then to wire it up to the PIC, going along from what you stated above, instead of interfacing via the USB cable, which would result in the PSP being seen as just a storage device. he was interfacing it via the serial port and using PiKey to map the data/signal received to a button on the PSP. Of cause it wasn't as simple as that but he did manage to get a PS/2 keyboard working

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal