Author Topic: Idea for a keyboard for the psp  (Read 3224 times)

Offline stankbot

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Idea for a keyboard for the psp
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:12:54 PM »
Hey there!  I had this idea for an idea for the keyboard of the psp.  This is a super long shot and sort silly, but totally plausable. What are the odds that the chatpad for 360 can work on the psp?  Obviously not in a direct connection, but with a modified plug or wires?

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
Re: Idea for a keyboard for the psp
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:14 PM »
 :dntknw:ooo idk i dnt have much experience to know that. I would suggest asking the admins they may be be able to help(I can try finding something out but dnt guarantee it) and if what ever your doing with the key pad works make a TUT on i would like to do it.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline everlasting_will

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • BEPSP
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:29:10 AM »
It has already been done. Have a look at ps2dev, they have a thread where a guy ( he was ART i think) has done it by connecting it through the serial port of the PSP. May be he used some MAX232 for converting voltages, i don't remember very well. But as always you only will be able to use it with compatible homebrew, ether made by you or by anyone else, the fact is that the homebrew, should use the sio. In any case it is very impressive from my point of view.
First Be then PSP !!

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:32:26 AM »
ermmm wait it not that easy u need programs on the psp that allows the psp to recongnise it !!!

Offline Wedge

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 04:58:19 AM »
Somebody had a small keypad hooked up about a month ago. THe keypad was silver, and the person planned on making it slide underneath the psp. That's all I can remember though...
Shut up, I know I am a pessimist.

Offline stankbot

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 05:46:54 AM »
I think the better idea of where I am headed with this and the news around it.  http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9804 is the link of this project, so thats awesome they figured it out.  Also, pikey and widely available, so software isn't a problem for it.  As for the slider part, you might be thinking of the concept art they one guy made of "the way he wants his psp" with the sliding screen and all that.  Thats sort of where I am heading,  I got my plastic molding stuff ready to make a new case for all of this

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 08:58:19 AM »
this is totally do-able if u got some skillz in the programming department,1st u gotta write a firmware for a PIC to interface with the keyboard as a host and to relay signals to the psp,although 1st you would have to figure out the usb host mod,which pvp hasnt figured out yet,you COULD use a wifi keyboard and write a driver for it,but they already released a psp ifnra red keyboard driver called PiKey (by fanjita)
Derp.

Offline Luke

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 09:05:05 AM »
defintally will take time. for starters ur gonna need cfw

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:03:58 PM »
Somebody had a small keypad hooked up about a month ago. THe keypad was silver, and the person planned on making it slide underneath the psp. That's all I can remember though...
yea i remember seeing that someone posted it

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:15:39 PM by Blazinkaos »

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:05:40 PM »
I think the better idea of where I am headed with this and the news around it.  http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9804 is the link of this project, so thats awesome they figured it out.  Also, pikey and widely available, so software isn't a problem for it.  As for the slider part, you might be thinking of the concept art they one guy made of "the way he wants his psp" with the sliding screen and all that.  Thats sort of where I am heading,  I got my plastic molding stuff ready to make a new case for all of this
dude if u actually get the case of something like done u mae a business... :D

srry i double posted idk how to delet this post
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:16:06 PM by Blazinkaos »

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 09:54:47 AM »
yes its posible http://youtube.com/watch?v=KnJjG8mAjXE&feature=related im workin on the same thing u only need 3 wires from the chatpad i saw some site that said ppl did it then had pics of the chat pad open and pics of the 3 wires u need but no tut or finished product

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
ok so i fig it out the chat pad is a seiral device that operates on 3 pins for text entry and pikey suppourts serial keyboards like the chat pad and the one in the video a old palm seiral keyboard trough the 3 contacts by audio jack so now to use a chat pad as keyboard its just a matter of wireing the device.

what are the assigned pins on the psp side cus i have the pin out of chat pad and a mic that connects to the psp trough the 3 contcts im willing to sacrifice to wire up chat pad so can somone tell me the pin input for pikey

Offline everlasting_will

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • BEPSP
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 03:14:10 AM »
ok so i fig it out the chat pad is a seiral device that operates on 3 pins for text entry and pikey suppourts serial keyboards like the chat pad and the one in the video a old palm seiral keyboard trough the 3 contacts by audio jack so now to use a chat pad as keyboard its just a matter of wireing the device.

what are the assigned pins on the psp side cus i have the pin out of chat pad and a mic that connects to the psp trough the 3 contcts im willing to sacrifice to wire up chat pad so can somone tell me the pin input for pikey

Serial interface only has one pin for transmitting and one for recieving. In this case you only want to transmit info from the keyboard to the psp so you need the Tx pin of the keyboard to the Rx pin of the Serial PSP port, the VCC of the PSP to the VCC of the keyboard, and also wire the PSP GND to the same keyboard's pin.
Also may be you need to adjust the VCC pins depending on the Keyboard requierments, that would be done for example with a MAX232, though as i said it depends on the keyboard power supply requierments.
First Be then PSP !!

Offline folklord36

• Research & Development
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 04:31:42 AM »
ya i just came across that ps2dev thread but its kinda confuseing i think u have to have that home made pic programer and flsah a new firmware to the chatpad then its compatible in pikey so im gona get supplys for the pic programer

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 03:13:29 PM »

wow u almost got it figured out wat site is it taht your talking bout...post the link i want to try this thing as well..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal