Author Topic: Where would I even begin?  (Read 3136 times)

Offline stankbot

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
Where would I even begin?
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:31:11 AM »
Hi there, after looking at Pvp's tilt sensor thread and how to easily build a pic programming I decided to give it a shot.  I have yet to finish the pic programming itself (i need to get the pcb board and a capacitor)  But my question is, where do I even begin looking at information?  I have googled all sorts of pic programming topics and I get tutorials, but nothing from the ground up.  Sadly, I don't even understand how you connect the pic to the pic programmer...thats how much of a tutorial or guide I need.  Any directions would be great!

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
Re: Where would I even begin?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 01:32:24 PM »
you should begin by learning either c or visual basic,as these are the most common languages used to programme pic's,i recommend buying a pic development/flashing board rather than making one as you will be able to programme a wider variety of pics,u simply rest the pic on the pins of the dev board/flasher
Derp.

Offline stankbot

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
Hi! thanks for the info!  I've been reading c scripts and looking at all the stuff it does.  As for the making one, I see where you can buy the kits for like 60-100 bucks, and the one I am making uses the ?jmd2? which apparantly is awesome.  Also, I only have to go out and get the pcb board stuff, which is only like 1.25 for me.  Thanks again!

Offline CrkPyro

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:57:37 PM »
I'd suggest checking out the forums over at sparkfun.  And possibly picking up a book on microcontrollers.  The book I was taught from was written by my professor Dr. Huang: "Pic Microcontroller: An Introduction to software & hardware interfacing" It's not the best book, but it'll probably be better in the next edition.  If you want something from the ground up I'd suggest picking a microcontroller and looking at the data sheet for it and finding out what each pin does.  I'd suggest using a pic18 series microcontroller because you can get the student edition c compiler from microchip for free.
psp tilt board:
design - 90%
code   - 5% (found my code I was looking for)
testing to come soon
The idea is PvP's, I designed it with AdamThole's version as a guideline

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal