Author Topic: How much empty space inside DS lite case?  (Read 3100 times)

Offline myersn024

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
How much empty space inside DS lite case?
« on: April 26, 2008, 05:09:45 PM »
I've been thinking about doing an internal flash cart mod to my DS lite, but I don't know how much empty space there is inside the DS lite. I've got an R4 card, and I think it would be cool to put it inside the case of the DS lite and add a switch so I can switch between the slot and the internal flash cart. So do you guys think there's enough room?

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
Re: How much empty space inside DS lite case?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 07:44:11 PM »
No there's not that much space in the dsl

Offline myersn024

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 08:27:31 PM »
That's kind of what I thought. I guess I could put it in the GBA slot, but I wanted to keep my GBA slot functional. I'm not giving up on this, though. I'm going to do some more thinking and maybe I'll come up with something.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
TBH, if you don't have too many GBA games, then you might as well go for it, and just buy a very old GBA that can still work and use the wireless. Or you can get a slot 2 that's very similar to the R4, and just make that internal inside the GBA slot. It would be hard to make the R4 internal, mainly due to the fact that you would need some way of removing the SD card so that you can put backups in it and whatnot (unless you can make a usb port on the DS hooked to the R4 so that inserting a SD to USB device would work, infact that would really be cool :D. If you were to try this, you're better off using a phat anyway. Alot more space between each other, and the DS phat has older firmware, so passme would work with it alot easier then a lite (just in case you will use another device)
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline spinal

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
here's a daft question, if you internalise the r4, how you going to get stuff on/off of it?

Offline myersn024

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »
I haven't fully figured everything out. The first hurdle is finding a place to put the card. If I put it in the GBA slot, then it won't be too hard to remove the SD card and put stuff on it. If it were to go inside the case, then I'd have to make an extension to the sd card slot so it could be accessed without opening the case.

Offline seikene

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »
here's a daft question, if you internalise the r4, how you going to get stuff on/off of it?

You realize you just echoed half my reply there, right mate? The GBA is a bit easier but only if it's outside the case and in the side of the DS, but then that would'nt really be internal now would it? Like I said, if  you can somehow make a USB port that can allow a SD to USB device to be attached, then that would be perfect. Or else just make the SD internal, and add a USB port that goes from the device to the computer, where you can transfer stuff from there, of course as long as the DS isn't on ;p. Hmmm I just had a crazy thought b4 pressing the post button. How about a way to insert the SD through another area, and have it done so that inserting the stylus in the stylus slot would trigger a spring or something to push the SD card out? It's crazy and I'm probably half asleep, but that's something to ponder on :D.
Proud to be a: -Yugioh Player -ITG/DDR/PIU Player -Furry Fanatic - Knife Thrower -All around awesome guy :D

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 04:37:37 AM »
if you do internalise it, just cut a small slot in the right hand (face button) side of the bottom shell, then extend the micro sd slot along some wire....so you'd sorta be plugging the card directly into the unit....which needless to say would be awesome

Offline spinal

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 02:12:02 AM »
Didn't someone fail to internalize an action replay? your switch would probably have to disconnect every pin on the nd cart, not just 1 or 2, you might actually need 17 switches.

Offline Timmy

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 02:21:49 AM »
nah just the main power supply (VDD) because without it, none of the components which use the other pins will be active.

someone managed to internalise action replay in a phat, but nothing came of it, they just showed it soldered to the slot, not the closed finished console

Offline Aricado

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Hiding under your bed devouring your dreams..
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 03:09:01 PM »
nah just the main power supply (VDD) because without it, none of the components which use the other pins will be active.

someone managed to internalise action replay in a phat, but nothing came of it, they just showed it soldered to the slot, not the closed finished console
Always add switches to the ground pins dammit!!! If something isn't grounded then it's not connected!!

Aricado: Kenshinffx made my sig.
"I made your Avatar too!"
Aricado: Get outta my head!!!!

Offline myersn024

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 05:06:07 PM »
Always add switches to the ground pins dammit!!! If something isn't grounded then it's not connected!!

Yeah, a DPDT switch would take care of both the hot and the ground at the same time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal