Author Topic: Quick possible led mod question.  (Read 2324 times)

Offline filipinofryrice

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Sky's The Limit
Quick possible led mod question.
« on: December 11, 2008, 07:28:22 PM »
Hey just wondering but would it be possible to cut the faceplate or something so that light would show through where there's blue in the picture? I know that behind those areas they hold the buttons in plate but would it be possible to cut diagonally? Or is it just out of the question? Just thought about it taking my PSP apart so i could prep my ring of light UMD door mod. Here's a picture of what I'm looking to doing once I get some 0603 blue leds. Also I want to put it with the wifi switch. (any help about that would be great too).

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
Re: Quick possible led mod question.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »
Hey just wondering but would it be possible to cut the faceplate or something so that light would show through where there's blue in the picture? I know that behind those areas they hold the buttons in plate but would it be possible to cut diagonally? Or is it just out of the question? Just thought about it taking my PSP apart so i could prep my ring of light UMD door mod. Here's a picture of what I'm looking to doing once I get some 0603 blue leds. Also I want to put it with the wifi switch. (any help about that would be great too).

Hmm let's see, I mod slims so I don't know about wifi, but for the light around the silvier ring, just take off your silver ring carefully with one of the tutorials we have. Then, carefully cut out the middle with a dremel. Sand everything down so you have a nice circle, and make sure that once you're done cutting the circle, it's slightly larger than the silver ring. You will have to sand down the middle thing too. Then, get a cd case or something, cut it down to size and stick it into the back of the umd door. Finally, glue everything back on. If it was done right, there should be a slight gap where you want it.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline Eliaswhufc

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Great idea i must say;)

Offline filipinofryrice

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Sky's The Limit
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 08:59:47 PM »
Thanks man. All ready did the prep work on the back rings of light. Just curious if I could do those small rings on the face plate because I don't want to ruin my faceplate. All I gotta do it run to the hobby shop near me and pick up some blue leds. Once I do install I'll post up pics but it's probably going to be awhile since my money is going towards Christmas gifts and stuff right now.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 09:03:35 PM »
Thanks man. All ready did the prep work on the back rings of light. Just curious if I could do those small rings on the face plate because I don't want to ruin my faceplate. All I gotta do it run to the hobby shop near me and pick up some blue leds. Once I do install I'll post up pics but it's probably going to be awhile since my money is going towards Christmas gifts and stuff right now.
No its not possible..

1. It hold the buttons in.
2. Theres no room for leds.
3. How is it staying on the faceplate after you drill it out...

Offline filipinofryrice

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Sky's The Limit
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 09:25:03 PM »
I was just wondering sorry. Just a thought out of boredom.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:40:05 PM »
I was just wondering sorry. Just a thought out of boredom.
Why are you sorry lol

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »
wrong jumbo I think It would be posible but hard. By cutting out the faceplate circles and sanding the out side and the circle edges so there is a gap, then using a clear epoxy fill in the gap and do lighting as per single led button lighting. Could this not work.

Anything is posible.
|Variegation - GhoSt's Final Controller|

|Nothing is deterministic.|

Offline staxx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 03:25:26 AM »
wrong jumbo I think It would be posible but hard. By cutting out the faceplate circles and sanding the out side and the circle edges so there is a gap, then using a clear epoxy fill in the gap and do lighting as per single led button lighting. Could this not work.

Anything is posible.

So its held in by glue...now is that glue able to stand up to someone pressing down on the buttons while playing games?

Only way i could think of is to buy a clear faceplate, put a piece of tape in the small circular areas on the faceplate and spray paint the rest of it black. Peel the tape off and VOILA!! a clear ring around the dpad and xo buttons.

Mind you the spray paint job will have to be sanded reapplied sanded some more and have a protective coat on it. quite tedious but can be done.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 03:27:06 AM by staxx »

Offline filipinofryrice

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Sky's The Limit
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 08:19:04 AM »
All right thanks guys. I'll try to find a hard epoxy or something that'll be able to withstand the gaming. Any ideas? If that doesn't work I'll try the clear faceplate if i get enough money and time before I leave for Arizona after Christmas.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 04:18:17 PM »
So its held in by glue...now is that glue able to stand up to someone pressing down on the buttons while playing games?

Um idk about you but I press on the buttons not the bit inside, the buttons put virtualy no pressure on there once psp is closed up most of the pressure goes onto the d-pad unit and the power board pcb.

Offline staxx

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 10:48:21 PM »
Sure enough, i just know when i'm playing games that require quick rapid responses from my thumb for the buttons that portions of my thumbs are actually puting pressure on areas of the face plate. But eh, if you have an extra faceplate just lieing around then by all means experiment.

Offline GhoSt

• Creating Null
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +19/-0
  • Null Pointer Exception
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »
Sure enough, i just know when i'm playing games that require quick rapid responses from my thumb for the buttons that portions of my thumbs are actually puting pressure on areas of the face plate. But eh, if you have an extra faceplate just lieing around then by all means experiment.

well have fun getting through epoxy with your thumb :D.

Offline filipinofryrice

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • The Sky's The Limit
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
Haha yea I think I'll just try the epoxy I might do that prep today.   :yess:
Can anyone give me a link or something of how to do the wifi switch for the leds? any info on that would be great thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:50:53 AM by filipinofryrice »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal