Author Topic: Fat PSP Charging Problem  (Read 5523 times)

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Fat PSP Charging Problem
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:46:06 AM »
Hey Acidmods,

My name is Rob, and I just did the Full Case mod on my Fat PSP. When I was done, I put everything back together, and it powered on, but it wasn't charging, I called up my friend and asked him what do I do... he told me to test with an LED....

With the AC Adapter in... the LED Lights up on the... 2 (*Edit*) WIRES (*Edit*) on the Yellow Adapter...and goes to the White piece on the motherboard. Behind the motherboard are the 2 pieces, I put the LED to there, and it Works... so the problem is going from the 2 metal pieces going into the mother board, to the 3 Battery pieces on the back, I will take some pictures later, and upload them for you guys to see.... but I'm about to go to bed, and wanted to throw it out there for people who might know whats wrong for the next 12 or so hours.

Thanks for Reading / Helping Acidmods Team,
-Rob
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:51:13 AM by Sibobby1 »

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
Re: Fat PSP Charging Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:54:54 AM »
Remove the battery

Plug in the AC adapter

Check to see if there is power at the battery terminals

If there is not replace the power board

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:05:55 AM »
Check to see if there is power at the battery terminals

If there is not replace the power board

What are the Battery Terminals? The 3 pieces where the battery meet? Test the LED on the + and -?
And where can I get a cheap (new) power board... Ebay?

I USED A DC TESTER, INSTEAD OF THE LED THAT I USED BEFORE, SORRY FOR THE LIGHTING, I NEEDED TO SHUT IT OFF, SO YOU CAN SEE THE ARM NOT MOVING.

VIDEO:
http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2zsqi9y&s=4

===========================================================================
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 04:55:24 PM by Sibobby1 »

Offline gr8npwrfl

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Ignorance is not fatal it can be cured
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:36 PM »
You need to replace your power board.

Goto the auction section here on this board and you can find what you need

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:27:26 PM »
...I put everything back together, and it powered on, but it wasn't charging, I called up my friend and asked him what do I do... he told me to test with an LED....
From what I have read, testing out a power supply using only an LED is not a good idea, as this basically creates a short circuit. :fear:

Not sure if I understand this problem correctly, but will replacing the powerboard really correct the issue? The PSP will work fine without a powerboard providing you short the correct pins on the motherboard to turn it on and off. Does it also perform some other function related to battery charging?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:07:52 PM by Blizzrad »

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 11:47:55 PM »
From what I have read, testing out a power supply using only an LED is not a good idea, as this basically creates a short circuit. :fear:

Not sure if I understand this problem correctly, but will replacing the powerboard really correct the issue? The PSP will work fine without a powerboard providing you short the correct pins on the motherboard to turn it on and off. Does it also perform some other function related to battery charging?

If you watch the video, I used a DC MilliAmps Tester, and when I put the + and - to the pins it worked, but by the battery it didn't.

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 01:46:52 AM »
...I used a DC MilliAmps Tester, and when I put the + and - to the pins it worked, but by the battery it didn't.

Also not a good idea for the same reason. For these tests, set your meter to measure DC voltage.

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 09:42:57 AM »
Also not a good idea for the same reason. For these tests, set your meter to measure DC voltage.

I am just now messing with the stuff on PSP, everything I did before was all software mods... Themes... Pandora's Battery....Games... and such, now I wanted my PSP to be different, I know I don't have the proper equipment for testing voltage, but most of the stuff I DID have was for AC, and DC Is measure much lower than AC, so It wouldn't work.... I just did it to test if there was ANY Electric going through it. At the white connector on the motherboard, you see the hand go from nothing, ALL THE WAY RIGHT, that at least shows, There is electric through there, I put the pieces on the 3 pieces in the Battery Pack, just to see if ANYTHING was going through, No, the arm doesn't move at all, there is absolutely no charge there, but I understand you should use it to measure DC Voltage, but that was all I had :/

And the actual thing says DC Milliamps DO NOT USE IN CIRCUIT RATED 30V OR HIGHER, the battery says 3.6v, so it's not like I damaged the Meter.]

So whats our conclusion? I need another power board?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 10:18:05 AM by Sibobby1 »

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »
I think my problem is solved....:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e70Mg07aFJg

There is a video of me trying it... I got the answer from a Llamma's Game console thing... The person Said

:
Sounds to me like your power fuse is done.

With your PSP disassembled and A/C adapter and battery in place: bypass the fuse by connecting one end of a piece of wire to one side of the fuse and the other to the other side of the power fuse. If the red charging light appears, it's the fuse. If this is the case you need to bridge the fuse by applying solder over it. Should look like this:

THIS WAS NOT MY POST, BUT THE PERSON HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, and I tried it with the wire, and it looks like it charges again, is it safe to solder the two points together? Let me know before I attempt it.

Thank you AcidMods Team!

Offline crashman2k7

• Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »
lol i dont see why every1 make thing so complicated if the thing doesnt charge bridge the fuse!

Offline Blizzrad

• Chaos Lover
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 01:52:33 PM »
Nice work Rob! :hifive: It looks like you have sorted the problem out. To clarify a little better, what I mentioned above is just a general precaution when testing circuits and measuring current. Placing the + and - leads from an ammeter directly onto the + and - terminals of a battery or power supply will short them together and can lead to overheating, fire, explosion, or other damage to your equipment. The 30v rating of your meter only applies if you are using it correctly, if you were to do this with a 12v car battery it would not only be dangerous, but would probably kill the meter instantly as well. It is a common mistake to watch out for when using a multimeter, to make sure that one does not attempt to measure voltage while the meter is still set in mA mode (I have made this mistake before, bad things can happen). This short thread from another forum explains it all a little better if you are interested.

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
lol i dont see why every1 make thing so complicated if the thing doesnt charge bridge the fuse!

I spoke to my dad about this, and he said "A fuse is the weakest part of something, for our house a circuit breaker is like a fuse, when the house gets a surge, it won't break out electronics, but it will break the fuse, maybe you should replace the fuse instead of just bridging the fuse, because that could possibly set the house on fire"

What exactly does this fuse do, I'm worried to bridge it right away.

Offline Sibobby1

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 05:20:17 PM »
Okay, let's say we do bridge the fuse.
Rob is playing with his PSP happily, then there is a surge of electrons inside the psp..The vital circuitry/components which the fuse was protecting against high amounts of electricity are now destroyed - irrepairable.
Rob has to go and buy himself another motherboard. £35 down the drain, all because he didnt replace a fuse.
And i am pretty sure that fuse is rated at 0.5A - ie. filament melts at 0.5 milliamps..
Now, can anyone tell me what is special about 0.5 milliamps?
Yes, that's right, it Kills you.

I would bridge the fuse with the tip of a flathead screwdriver, and see if the psp turns on, this  is just to determine if the fault lies with the fuse ( i haven't read the thread but this may have been established already).I would then look up in your parts catalog a 0.5 mah fuse, and desolder the blown one and replace it.

Everyone is happy.

My friend told me to try Radio shack, but when I called up they said they didn't have one (It probably isn't worth driving with today's gas prices either :P).... so he then said order it online... he said to try http://www.mouser.com/ and look for a "0.5 Milliamp Surface Mount Fuse" Is that correct?
Just want to make sure it's right before I buy it and have it shipped to my house. (But I definitely want to replace it and not just bridge it, I can use my sisters PSP to charge my batter at the moment, but I want to make sure its in full repair, because I also want to do more on it :])

Thanks for the help Acidmods and Friends.

Offline sethion

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »
You must have shorted something on the board. Just use a voltmeter to check is any current is passing between connections. You will prolly find the problem soon for that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal