Author Topic: Mac... yeah I dared to ask.  (Read 1373 times)

Offline BiiPiiGii

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Mac... yeah I dared to ask.
« on: December 19, 2008, 09:51:35 PM »
Does anyone in here other than me use a Mac?  I ask because I've been trying as hard as I can to get certain PC games to run on my Mac without having to use BootCamp to install windows.  In short I want to run FFXI using CrossOver Games 7.1.1.  The game installs and runs just fine.  I can get the game to even show the playonline viewer.  Everything works up until I love on with my user name and password.  Right before it goes into update mode I'm stuck with this stupid white screen.  Now while the display ONLY shows a white screen, I can still hear all the sounds just fine.  What I'm wondering is:  Has anyone made it past the white screen and if so, how?.  Thank for everyone who takes the time out to read this, please ask me question if I'm not clear on anything.  Thank you.
...:::[[[{{{∞BiiPiiGii∞}}}]]]:::...

Offline Mr. Corpsey

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Mac... yeah I dared to ask.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 11:49:45 PM »
I have a Mac but don't know much about gaming with crossover except that it's not very reliable.
Honestly, if you want to game on your Mac, acquire Parallels or VMWare and load up Windows XP or Vista in those and see how it works. If you want to use your computer to its fullest, just go with Bootcamp, and boot into Windows when you want to game, that's what I used to do, and trust, me everything will run A LOT better and be easier in the long run.

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 05:50:20 AM »
This pertains to both software and gaming...I don't know where to move this to D:
Oh noes!

Well. That's a weird problem. I've never tried gaming on my Mac partition yet. But I definitely can backup Mr. Corpsey and say it will be painstakingly easier to use VMWare or BootCamp to use Windows as a Guest/Alternate OS respectively to game on.

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 11:00:53 AM »
Does anyone in here other than me use a Mac?  I ask because I've been trying as hard as I can to get certain PC games to run on my Mac without having to use BootCamp to install windows.  In short I want to run FFXI using CrossOver Games 7.1.1.  The game installs and runs just fine.  I can get the game to even show the playonline viewer.  Everything works up until I love on with my user name and password.  Right before it goes into update mode I'm stuck with this stupid white screen.  Now while the display ONLY shows a white screen, I can still hear all the sounds just fine.  What I'm wondering is:  Has anyone made it past the white screen and if so, how?.  Thank for everyone who takes the time out to read this, please ask me question if I'm not clear on anything.  Thank you.
i have a mac; i love my mac
my mac is awesome

BUT FOR GAMING
i have boot camp w/ vista and i game happily; far cry 2, bioshock, cod4, crysis, crysis warhead, left 4 dead; the works in terms of really awesome games

use boot camp, its the best way, really

Offline MattZani

• Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Matthew Dear
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 12:34:33 PM »
I Would advise Bootcamp, Crossover doesnt work to well on my 2.5Ghz MacBook Pro, even if the specs for the game are tiny (Half Life)
Retired Modder, minor dabbling from now on :P

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 06:21:39 PM »
yeh crossover isnt the most reliable of apps - i would suggest bootcamp or if there available the mac versions of the game

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal