Author Topic: My first PSP mod (pics inside)  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Darkzero

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
My first PSP mod (pics inside)
« on: January 03, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »
It's most certainly nothing impressive, but I didn't want to start out with anything huge.

http://s90.photobucket.com/albums/k259/DarkZero51521/PSP/

The pics are arranged in the wrong order, but it's alright lol.

I had a hell of a time with this mod though. My initial plan was this:
-4 LED's in back ring
-2 LED's in each trigger
-Wifi switch used to cut off LED's

I took apart the PSP with only one issue (I damaged the cable that gos to the UMD spinner..no big deal, i dont use UMDs.).

Cutting out the ring took FOREVER (about 1:15), but turned out very cleanly and nice aside from one scratch where i accidentally went off track.

Here was my first mistake. I pre-soldered all 4 resistors and LEDs with measurements assuming they'd fit. I fit all 4 LED's with their resistors into the back plate, and then glued it. It didn't leave me with enough room to snap it back on, this seriously wasted about an 2 hours of my time trying to figure out some way to fit it on, until I finally gave up.

I wound up cutting two of the LED's and their resistors our from back there. The unfortunate thing at this point is that i bent the UMD cage and a piece of plastic on the UMD door, so now there's enough room for it to fit on but it's bent so horribly that it hangs off. This took me about 45 minutes to fix, lots of burns too  :cry2:

At this point i'm ecstatic that i finally got back to the mobo part. I faced another issue, I didn't know the positive/negative charges of the wifi swich and it's LED. So, i figured i'd desolder the LED and look at the bottom for it's charge. In the process of desoldering, I ruined the LED and the charge got disoriented. Fail. I wound up asking here and everything went fine though, a picture was provided.

I soldered the negative to the negative wifi area, then the positive to the 3.6 area on the powerboard. At this point i'm almost certain that i've failed and the PSP wont even cut on, but to my surprise it did and worked fine. Unfortunately, my memory had failed me and i made another mistake. I thought that the wifi LED was continually on when you have the switch enabled, but it just blinks. I didn't want all my LED's just blinking, so i went back and desoldered it, then soldered it to the power LED.

At this point it's really been like 7 hours..lol, and I was quiet frustrated, so i figured i'd just make it easier for myself and only solder one LED on each trigger. The process went well, even though my finger wound up glued to a trigger xp. They lite up fine, everything worked great. I started reassembling the PSP screwed the LCD Screens cage on. Something told me i should test it, so i did.. The lights stayed on even when the PSP's off. Once again, I asked here and someone told me there could be a short. So, I disassembled the entire PSP and checked each connection, found nothing. After some further examining, I noticed that i had stripped a wire too far (my negative connected to the power LED), and it was making contact. I fixed the problem, reassembled the PSP. I put the LCD on, then went to put the faceplate on. I had ordered a new faceplate off ebay, and it turned out to be a slim when i tried putting it on, so i stuck the old one back on there. :nono:

Lol, i put it all together, then realized i put the Dpad in side down. Fail again. I'm never taking it apart again xD

Anyways, i hope someone learns from my mistakes, sorry for the huge paragraph.

Key things for tl;dr

-Don't presolder your wires, do them one by one.
-Don't try to fit your resistors in your backplate.
-Never try to force something in place, nothing good can come out of it.
-Wifi switch is useless for a constant connection.
-Patience is key.
-Completely cover each connection to prevent shorts; don't strip wire's most than a cm or two.
-Pay close attention to details.
-Never trust the ebay japanese sellers >:l

Offline idontknowwhatamidoing

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: My first PSP mod (pics inside)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 12:13:11 PM »
cant you focus with your camera?
your pics are really blurry

but your psp looks nice  :clap:

Offline starmanfmt

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »
i could swear i just saw a topic on gamefaqs and that guy said he messed up his wire on the door and i saw the same pics your name there is aznluver isnt it :yess:

Offline Darkzero

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »
i could swear i just saw a topic on gamefaqs and that guy said he messed up his wire on the door and i saw the same pics your name there is aznluver isnt it :yess:

Haha, yep.

cant you focus with your camera?
your pics are really blurry

but your psp looks nice

I have a really old digital camera, it's pretty crappy..But i can give it another try in a while.

And thanks :)

Offline bustinthejustin

• Registered BST
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:26:49 PM »
If you solder the leds to the wifi PIN instead of the actual led,  I think it will stay on constantly, until you turn it off with the wifi switch. I think you can then bridge the wifi pins to keep wifi always on. I don't mod phats but I'd assume it's the same as the slim. Good job though, and it's a good idea never to give up. I'm still working out all the kinks in my first mod :)

Next time try some sound reactive leds.

Sig by Kenshinffx - Thanks!

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 03:30:26 PM »
Good job i did the same job to my first psp i t had the same amount of leds and i put the wires under the lcd cage

but now i hide everthing under the wifi since there is tons of space good job :#1:

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline Darkzero

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 09:07:53 PM »
If you solder the leds to the wifi PIN instead of the actual led,  I think it will stay on constantly, until you turn it off with the wifi switch. I think you can then bridge the wifi pins to keep wifi always on. I don't mod phats but I'd assume it's the same as the slim. Good job though, and it's a good idea never to give up. I'm still working out all the kinks in my first mod

Next time try some sound reactive leds.

I tried that, the lights just stay on, even when you flip the switch or if the system's cut off. x_x

Good job i did the same job to my first psp i t had the same amount of leds and i put the wires under the lcd cage

but now i hide everthing under the wifi since there is tons of space good job :#1:

Thanks (:

Offline treemty

• l,,l METAL l,,l
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Will mod for food
    • the1337group.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »
good job man

Offline LaCozTe-2028

• BANNED
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I love My Lacoste shirts
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 11:09:56 PM »
@ Dark well you have got to be organized and also you do not need one resistance for each led you only need 1 resistance for all the leds

try droping it again
my retared friend fixed by droping it
 1Sniper- not to be an :censored: but, its special friend

Offline Darkzero

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 11:14:27 PM »
@ Dark well you have got to be organized and also you do not need one resistance for each led you only need 1 resistance for all the leds

SERIOUSLY?

Can someone please confirm that?? I thought it has to be in a series?

http://ledcalc.com/

if you only sued one resistor, wouldnt the lights be dimmer throughout?

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 11:59:09 AM »
If every resistor was all the same, and it was parrell, then you only need 1, and that would be either before or after the leds join

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline kaz

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 12:08:42 PM »
Nice psp man!
Please can someone tell me what rezistor and how many should i use for 6 red leds about 340 mcd? :dribble:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal