Author Topic: Can anybody do this?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
Can anybody do this?
« on: January 07, 2009, 10:18:55 AM »

does anybody know where to get this or similar awesome artwork to engrave on the ps3?

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
Re: Can anybody do this?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:30:35 AM »
That hasn't been engraved, it has been silk screened (Or I could be wrong)

Engraving the PS3 would be evil due to its shape.

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »
it's what the site that I found it on said
The Ryu Ga Gotoku: Rising Dragon pack goes a step further by etching dragons on a Ceramic White PS3.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/01/06/segas-rising-dragon-ps3-looks-slick/

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
I swear that doesn't look at all etched, you can't get different colour variations like that by etching.
And the site says it is a decal.

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:45:04 AM »
I swear that doesn't look at all etched, you can't get different colour variations like that by etching.
And the site says it is a decal.
no it isn't, they said when they originally released the game it CAME with a decal.  This is etched in on the system.

Offline PhenomenalDesigns

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 10:54:25 AM »
If it was released by sony with the decal, then they must etch it, then bend the plastic to form the shell

Or silkscreen....

Hoi! Pinoy ako!

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:58:03 AM »
A laser etcher/engraving service will do that for you.  Tons of services available out there for this, laptops are a popular item that people will do this to.

Try googling: laptop etching or engraving.

that is an evil shape but with the right CAM package it would be simple after you modeled or scanned the surface in CAD.  All you need is $$$$$$ for the software packages and a decent CNC (with a scanning head :w00t:).

As far as the colors go, probably the stock plastic is the grey color and the rest of it is painted or dipped in a white coating. Etch or engrave the coating and there u go. (couple clear coats, lap and polish and it will look just like silkscreen)

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:47 AM »
A laser etcher/engraving service will do that for you.  Tons of services available out there for this, laptops are a popular item that people will do this to.

Try googling: laptop etching or engraving.

that is an evil shape but with the right CAM package it would be simple after you modeled or scanned the surface in CAD.  All you need is $$$$$$ for the software packages and a decent CNC (with a scanning head :w00t:).

As far as the colors go, probably the stock plastic is the grey color and the rest of it is painted or dipped in a white coating. Etch or engrave the coating and there u go. (couple clear coats, lap and polish and it will look just like silkscreen)

Booooonnnnggg

The master has spoken.

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Booooonnnnggg

The master has spoken.

LOL, damn i was about to say that!
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
my uncle has two neat machines at his office, a laser one, and a raw builder one (will take a block of material and shape it into a 3d object you feed it, for architectual purposes)

the laser one i think could do that...though it more commonly cuts clear through plastic..but im sure it could be set to engrave

i could get that done to mine for free, the only challenge is getting it there to a global corporate HQ and using a machine, which i doubt they will do for one of the partner's punk-ass nephews..
but its worth a shot..

Offline robin1989

• Site Owner - Site Maintenance & development
  • Administrator
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +21/-0
  • Site owner
    • Acidmods
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 11:48:15 AM »
what company is it noah

i am not responsible for what i do or my advice

Get the iPhone 4s from Three using Quidco and recieve £109 cashback

Offline Alien_X

• Club AM VIP
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +3/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
Is the "raw builder" a  3d printer or a cnc mill/router?

Sigs by Alien_X
www.ax-elec.com

Offline noah03ark

• E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Überm Sternenzelt richtet Gott, wie wir gerichtet
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
what company is it noah
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill http://www.som.com/content.cfm/www_home
Is the "raw builder" a  3d printer or a cnc mill/router?
i have no idea, all i know is they input 3d models and it makes them, i didnt spend much time in the model room; he was eager to have me meet the guy who designed the freedom tower

Offline Skullmaster

• God Of Cars
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Admin Force, Co-Owner Wanna-be
    • Acidmods
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:19 PM »
If they did that with a laser engraver I want to know how. In order to get an even engraving the laser head has to stay the same distance away from the material at all times, there for making curved surfaces not engrave well. Sony must have a engraver that has a head that moves up and down with the curve... it would be interesting to know cause if I could figure out how they did it, I would be engraving everything, and I mean everything, not that I don't do that allready with everything at my house, lol

Offline 123sample

• Registered BST
  • Who Farted ???
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:04 PM »
I think you can get vinyl

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 07:00:27 AM »
If they did that with a laser engraver I want to know how. In order to get an even engraving the laser head has to stay the same distance away from the material at all times, there for making curved surfaces not engrave well. Sony must have a engraver that has a head that moves up and down with the curve... it would be interesting to know cause if I could figure out how they did it, I would be engraving everything, and I mean everything, not that I don't do that allready with everything at my house, lol

software, software, software. I am sure you could do it if you had the correct solid model files or dimensions (I E: the radius of curved surface and how it is located)and a high end CAM package. I have a crap CAM package at work for my CNC, so I couldnt do this as it wont engrave on a curved surface(believe me I spent a lot of time trying). However I could make that curved surface using a facing feature, so it wouldn't be much more then selecting that surface in highend CAM package. (2D CAM software will work, it is similar to making a flat pattern for sheetmetal design where the sides bend up when assembled.

A laser engraver isn't much different then a CNC. I think probably the only difference is that it can get away with moving just a focusing lens to adjust for spot size or depth.(only a lens will move for Z axis versus the whole Laser assembly moving like on mill cnc) I could also concieve that some models use mirrors for the x, y translation, so the laser or the piece dont move, just the optics.

Doug: we should talk CNC sometime, You may have what u need already depending on what u use for CAM.  The hard part would be coming up with a fully dimensioned drawing for the PS3 (or a solid model).  I mentioned using a scanning head for a CNC to get the part details.........I think a web cam can be used for this in a homebrew fashion, but it would probably be easier to just get the calipers out and start taking measurements.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:02:33 AM by 802Chives »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal