Author Topic: Fan Response  (Read 1745 times)

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
    • ROOKIE BUILDERS DISCORD
Fan Response
« on: January 20, 2009, 08:52:14 AM »
Ok i have my 360 working well now but theres a catch that i dnt why it does ok i wanted to keep my 60mm fan inside but it intends to shut off but when i put out side of the case it works perfect. So only thing i can think of is is it blocking the air flow to my cpu heat sink cuz it is a inch thick so idk if thats it. Give me your ideas what you guys think.

*Thanks Modders/Friends:Ghost_Death, gr8npwrfl, Blizzrad, Kenshinffx.
*Thanks 802Chives for the Art position!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Fan Response
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 09:18:34 AM »
could be many things, you could be pinching something when you close it all up. (most likely)

wait, what tends to shut down? the fan or the xbox? sorry the post was not very clear.

do you have it conected to the origional fans? the origional fans change voltage under diferent times of operation, to make them spin faster when needed and slower when not needed. it could ba that and you just not notice it when its inside the xbox??

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
Ok no the whole xbox shuts off after like few minutes and its not pinching it cuz i have the wire still running through even when i have on the outside of the case and im using 38g wire witch is really thin.
I have it converted to usb and i hook it the the usb in the back right above the ethernet. But i just realize when i have it inside the whisper fans go really fast but when its on the outside it takes its time going to its highest point so it has to air flow and that. Since why would the fans speed up cuz theres no air flow going through that well. So my 60mm must block cuz this fan is fat.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:18:44 AM »
no offence dude, but please read back through what you write before you press the post button, I spend more time trying to decipher what you are saying, then trying to help solve your problem.

There are not many reasons the xbox would completely shut down, a short circuit, or an over heated gpu

you say there is defiantly not a short circuit so:

thought #1
where are the original Xbox 360 fans? Did you take them out? The xbox will shut itself down if those fans are removed; I think this is just a thermal sensor on or near the gpu. You must force the air from your new fan into the shroud in order to properly cool the gpu. NOT GOOD

but this xbox works when the fan is not inside the xbox this don’t make any since.

Thought #2
could you be blasting the original fans with so much new air, that it is deflecting the air from the original fan, thus not properly cooling the gpu, and when it is outside, it is more restricted and allows the original fan to blow at the gpu properly? NOT GOOD

thought #3
are you blowing into the exhaust ports? If so you are blowing hot air onto the gpu and tripping the thermal sensor. NOT GOOD

this is odd, if it works fine without the fan drop the fan. and move on...GOOD

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 08:22:56 AM by modded matt »

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 10:28:15 AM »
Ok no the whole xbox shuts off after like few minutes and its not pinching it cuz i have the wire still running through even when i have on the outside of the case and im using 38g wire witch is really thin.
I have it converted to usb and i hook it the the usb in the back right above the ethernet. But i just realize when i have it inside the whisper fans go really fast but when its on the outside it takes its time going to its highest point so it has to air flow and that. Since why would the fans speed up cuz theres no air flow going through that well. So my 60mm must block cuz this fan is fat.

]

Hope you mean 30g wire and not 38g and even then 30g isnt big enough for what you are doing. Take a look here For power transmission 38g is only good for 22mA before it becomes a resistor, once it is a resistor it will heat up and possible burn out. Even 30g is only good for 120mA, and most fans draw around 250mA.

I dont think that is you problem but it could be. You said you are using USB power which is 5V, are you using anything else on the USB ports?  The reason why I ask is that the usb bus by protocol will only supply 500mA total. 

Im with matt, you need to describe you situation better.  Start by telling us all the mods you have done to it thus far.  Then if you can post pictures to help describe what you know we may be able see the problem.

Offline Max_Kreeger

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 06:51:28 AM »
Wasn't there a similar problem in the 12v power source thread. Where a guy soldered a extra fan tot he 5v pins ? and it kept shutting his xbox off ?

Offline Blazinkaos

• Technology Revolution
  • Art & Theme Team
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +12/-0
  • Time Passes Will You
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 03:07:43 PM »
Hmm im not sure 802Chives cuz i just used 38 and got to work just fine yea my fan is on the outside of the 360 but its not doing anything any more its fine tho i wish i can have it inside the xbox but wat ever.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal