Author Topic: LED Mods, PSP 1001  (Read 4508 times)

Offline WannabePSPModder

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Beginner PSP Modder
LED Mods, PSP 1001
« on: February 13, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »
Ok so i've looked over the tutorials on the site for led mods, and I seem to understand everything for the most part. Once everything arrives in my mailbox, i'll be starting to mod 2 PSP 1001's with sound reactive leds and possible the trigger mod if I can come up with some cash and buy a drill. I guess the one thing i'm having problems understanding is where exactly the LED's are getting their power from. Are the speakers powering it? Or, do I have to solder something directly to the motherboard? If someone could further explain this to me i'd be appreciative of it. Thanks.

Offline nEoVaLoR

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +36/-26
  • Young Modder
Re: LED Mods, PSP 1001
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:14:15 PM »
You can get power from either. You can solder to the connector on the motherboard, the traces that lead to the speaker connector, the connector itself, or the speaker. And you can definitely do the trigger mod without a drill. You can either:
A.Place the leds next to the trigger, just make sure you do it so it does not interfere with the movement of the trigger

or

B. Poke your trigger with your soldering iron, and clean your tip and re-tin it.

Offline WannabePSPModder

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Beginner PSP Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
So if I solder one end of a wire to the LED where on the speaker does the other end get soldered onto? I pretty much just got into soldering and modding game systems so i'll probably ask a lot of stupid questions in the first few months. Also, my LCD screen doesn't show video, and I know exactly why but I don't know how to fix it. When I was removing the screen from both my PSP's actually, the long, thin ribbon cable's connector broke off. Does that require soldering to fix? I no longer have the part but I saw it on eBay for sale. Ridiculous pricing though...lol.

Offline COREGAMER

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • I <3 LEDs
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:12 AM »
I can't say about the LED but as far as the ribbon connector goes you need to be VERY good at soldering as you need to solder it back onto the motherboard
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 08:00:52 AM by COREGAMER »
"A Gamer is only as good as his hardware"

Offline Crumbz

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +29/-2
  • Networking & Database Administrator
    • www.asagia.net (Coming Soon!)
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
So if I solder one end of a wire to the LED where on the speaker does the other end get soldered onto? I pretty much just got into soldering and modding game systems so i'll probably ask a lot of stupid questions in the first few months. Also, my LCD screen doesn't show video, and I know exactly why but I don't know how to fix it. When I was removing the screen from both my PSP's actually, the long, thin ribbon cable's connector broke off. Does that require soldering to fix? I no longer have the part but I saw it on eBay for sale. Ridiculous pricing though...lol.

What part of the ribbon cable exactly? could you possibly provide a pic of it to clarify?
And as for the LED problem you have you can do what nEoVaLoR said and solder to the speaker directly. (Flip the speaker so that the back is facing you and the wires are going towards you. Once you have done that the  wire on the left is positive and the one on the right is negative so just solder accordingly.)

P.S. dont let any exposed wire touch the motherboard cuz you will blow you sound fuse.

Minecraft Server (Online)
Name: Asagia Realm's
Address: mc.asagia.net:65156

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal