Author Topic: xbox 360 Not reading disks  (Read 926 times)

Offline arkgirlgeek

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
xbox 360 Not reading disks
« on: April 19, 2009, 11:51:05 AM »
Now My situation is that a guy wants to sell me his xbox 360 for $40
the only problem with it is it is not reading the disks.. wondering if this can be fixed and if it is a good idea to buy it. If you know how to fix it can you tell me how or what might be wrong with it so I can get it fixed and your opionions on weather to buy it or not is welcomed
thanks you :tup:
I am a rarity! I Am All Geek!

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: xbox 360 Not reading disks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 05:23:38 AM »
please clarify what it is doing. I know its not reading disks, but does it say cannot read disk? or the put it in a 360 message, or the open tray message? either way, if the seal has never been broken, I would buy it.

I would try to get it fixed by MS first. tell them you are the origional owner.
you can buy a new disk drive for like $40 on ebay, and other sites, if you can reflash the drive key.

to me this would be woth it if its never been opened, and no RROD.. there is some tedious work to fix it, so it may not be worth it to others. if its been opened, or has experianced a RROD offer him $20 its not worth the thermal paste and new dvd drive only to last a few weeks.

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:51:36 AM »
well put matt, $40 is money well spent on a busted 360 for many reasons.  if it is just the console and no PSU/cords or HDD, make sure warranty isn't voided.  If it does comes with all the jazz, then the resale value of the parts will be >$80 if you do nothing more than just take it apart and sell anything that people will buy.

If your like me than $40 is well spent on a challenge of taking something broken and fixing it.  Failed DVD drives can be simple to change, depending on how in depth you are going to go.  No need to reflash the proper key if you swap the DVD motherboard from the original drive to the identical replacement drive, as the key remains with the motherboard.  What I dont suggest is trying to fix the drive on the component level...IE new laser, adjusting laser, replacing parts, ect.  If you are going to do it, skip all the BS and just buy an identical replacement drive, as that is what you would probably end up doing in the end as a DVD drive is a complex mechanical system and even the smallest tweak could keep it from working.

Long story short, you can fix it, we can help you, but as always it is best if possible to do it through M$ under warranty as it provides you a safety net for the unknown dangers that may lurk in that machines future beyond the ever so popular DVD drive failure :winker: (not that we wont be able to help you there either, just gets fustrating for the owner chasing problems with these older machines;)

Offline arkgirlgeek

• Fart Sniffer
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
I have talked to the guy and he says The Xbox 360 has never been opened. And when you get the xbox 360 running and put a disk in it says disk error and will not go any farther. I really do thanks all of you for the help. Just want to make sure that $40 would be worth it.
I am a rarity! I Am All Geek!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal