Author Topic: The fall that brought light to thought  (Read 2871 times)

Offline CoppeRaven

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
The fall that brought light to thought
« on: June 13, 2009, 11:50:47 PM »
My PSP (1000) recently crashed, so naturally I gutted it for parts so I can have them to repair the one I'm going to buy (Yes I tried to fix it and failed). As I'm gutting the UMD drive I got an idea, I'm going to be doing an internal hdd mod later on and everyone complains that this mod gets rid of the UMD drive. Has no one ever thought to route some ribbon cable down to a plug at the bottom of the UMD door and use the gutted UMD drive as an external? I'd like to keep it for the sole reason that I still get a game disk once and awhile as a gift. So with the parts I have I'm going to fasion an external drive and once I get the new PSP I'll route a plug into it. With luck it'll be successful and I'll post a tutorial, if anyone is interested.

--CoppeRaven--

Offline ~:Dhruv:~

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • [quote author=Reaper link=topic=30647.msg227184#ms
    • Infectech
Re: The fall that brought light to thought
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:40:24 AM »
i'd already planned on making an external drive... But i don't have access to my psp for the time being so can't do it...
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline CoppeRaven

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 11:13:09 AM »
Ok, so I'm not the only one that thought of it. I hadn't seen anything on it so I was starting to wonder. I don't have access to a working one, but I have all the parts of my old one that I can at least make the external part.

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »
use it as a test model... then buy one off dx for 20 bucks.......
  you look like a carrot.
My nickname at school is carrot cake, because i can't get tan. I get orange. and my face is shaped like a carrot. And i make a mean carrot cake.

Offline CoppeRaven

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:27:29 AM »
What do you mean? Buy what off dx? Sorry, I'm slightly lost. Been away from the forums for some time, work hasn't allowed me much time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:39:33 AM by CoppeRaven »

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:42:38 AM »
No , what i meant was that you should use the current non functioning drive to try it out and if it works ,then buy a working umd drive from deal extreme and making a functional one and then get featured all over the internet for making the first external umd drive :) lol !
  you look like a carrot.

Offline CoppeRaven

• Guppy
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 02:12:55 PM »
Oh, lol. Well I have a functioning UMD drive, but no functioning PSP...Lol. I get paid Tuesday and I'll go get one from GameStop.

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »
I've thought of this too. There's a problem though. Usually the pap used a button on the back side of the mobo to recognize a umd. If the drive is no longer in there, you will also have to make an external button for it to recognize a umd. Also the original drive is hinged on the part that holds the umd. Anyone see a way around that? The umd needs to be held in place somehow.

Good idea though. It'll be worth it if you can get it working.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

Offline azhockey

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 11:33:51 AM »
Do you have any plans for an external case? I doubt you just want an open drive. I can't think of anything you could use so you're probably going to have to make one benheck style. :cool:
Screw M$ go Ubuntu all the way!

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »
I'm not trying to dissuade you or call you inferior or anything of that sort. But you will have to be SOME great modder to even pull this off. Because this has been talked about some thousand's of times.

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
    • Infectech
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 12:41:37 PM »
I dunno man , i think it can be pulled off with a bit of patience...
  you look like a carrot.

Offline EliteGamer83

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Trusted Seller! Slim Modder! Graphics Artist!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 04:15:22 PM »
Well it's best to plan everything out before you start or else you will end up spending tons of money for parts you later on discover you don't need.

Offline mlegasto

• ½ Pint
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Three stars and a sun, baby :))
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 02:00:27 AM »
you could also have your umd still internal just taqke out the umd cage thingy then when you're gonna play umds just take the umd out of its plastic housing and pu it directly to the umd motor thingy:P its gonna stay cause it has a very powerful magnet :P
(JUST AN OPINION) :P
Three Stars and a Sun.

Offline Jumbo

• Dr. Mod
  • BST BAN
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +0/-3
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 02:00:03 PM »
As long as you can solder the cable its very simple. I have thought about it until i realized what the :censored: do i want a UMD drive for any ways?!

Its fairly simple.

And for the button on the mobo just bridge the points so its always on or just add a dip switch to turn it on so when u flip the switch and plug in the external drive it will read.

Finally at Elitegamer: O rly? discussed 1000's of times? I only recall about 5 topics on Acidmods about this.... >.>

Offline rceckspurt13

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 02:39:21 AM »
Well you wouldn't want to simply solder the switch permenantly on. You'll find that if you try to turn the psp on with the button pressed with no umd in, the psp will never fully turn on. It just loads the waves, no background, xmb, or anything.

A dip switch would be a good thing though. But I really see no reason for a umd drive either. I rarely buy umds. In fact I only play like 3 of them. And if I ever got cfw, I'd rip themto a memstick anyway.
Any Questions? Please Contact Me: rceckspurt13@gmail.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal