Author Topic: Grey Touch Screen Help  (Read 6142 times)

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Grey Touch Screen Help
« on: March 10, 2009, 11:06:56 AM »
I recently took apart my ds lite to replace the green power LED with a blue 0603 smd one, everything worked perfectly until I turned on the ds. The touch screen turns on with this grey-ish tint to it and the words and letters are hard to read, there also appears to be some type of horizontal scan lines. The touch screen is still reactive to touch though. Also I've checked all my cables and connectors and everything is in proper place.
So does anyone know what is the problem with the touch screen and how to solve it?

Thanks in advance

---Edit---
I have uploaded some pictures which shows how the top screen brightness is compared with the touch screen grey-ish bright and the other picture shows the blank lines that makes the screen unable to be read (no it isn't from the quality of the camera or the picture).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:29:06 PM by pwarsknightsp »

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
Re: Grey Touch Screen Help
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »
The only thing i can think of if your getting those 'scan lines' is that the cable is not pushed right into its grip/connector.. try it one more time and see if it make a difference.. otherwise i dont really have a clue.. :/

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 02:10:10 PM »
Thanks Ben for the advice, but I still have the problem. I disconnected all the cables from the touch screen and reconnected and still no progress. I did turn on the ds once without the small cable connected to check if that cable is the problem, but the blank lines still appeared. So I'm assuming for now that the larger cable connector of the touch screen is the problem. But this confuses me due to the fact that I never touched that spot through the whole process of changing the LED.
Does anyone know any solution?

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:03:03 PM »
Maybe the cable got bent while you put it aside, this may have broken one of the traces on the cable..?

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »
I hope that isnt the case with this problem cause I do not want to get a replacement touch screen...maybe (even though not likely) its stemming from the LED change? I did use an 0603 LED I believe, which I had gotten from llamma website a good year ago...

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »
Yer i suppose it could be that.. tho im not a pro at DS's, but i would get a second opinion and see what they say... :/

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:39:17 PM »
"Maybe the cable got bent while you put it aside, this may have broken one of the traces on the cable..?"
Just another question to that, are the cables that fragile? Cause from my handling of the cable from the top screen, I probably would have about 5 different top screen replacements.

Offline Ben.

• Club AM VIP
  • Acid Modder
  • Post quality +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 12:13:49 AM »
Its more if you bend it really tight, and hsarply the metal inside it may snap or get damaged...

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 08:01:48 PM »
sorry to bump up such a old topic, but I've finally had time off from work and school and got around to getting a new screen. To my surprise, the new screen showed the same results as the pictures above. I also got permission to use one of my brother's ds lite to test the new screen on and the screen worked perfectly. So now I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to fix the ds lite motherboard?

Thanks in advance

Offline W-Gaming5

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 12:36:15 AM »
:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:40:22 AM by W-Gaming5 »
:censored:

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »
Here you go, I took pictures of the clip with the screen ribbon in. As you can see, the screen is still not displaying correctly.

-sorry I didn't upload the pictures to photobucket. For some reason the photobucket website isn't displaying correctly for me either. =_=

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »
It's not going to be the clip, as the NDS Lite will not even boot up if the screen isn't down. My guess is that the ribbon cable is cut somewhere, or has come lose from the actual screen itself (more than likely the H-Sync). The Power LED shouldn't be a problem as I have done 3-4 LED swaps on NDS Lites and never had a problem.

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 05:55:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply blackburn, but the screen isn't the problem since
I also got permission to use one of my brother's ds lite to test the new screen on and the screen worked perfectly.
I'm now guessing that the motherboard must be the problem but games do run perfectly fine, I've never done anything to the mobo (except the LED swap). The only problem is that the bottom screen just doesnt show the picture correctly...any help or solutions?

Offline blackburn

• Acid Modder
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Xbox 360 Enthusiast and JTAGer
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 06:59:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply blackburn, but the screen isn't the problem since  I'm now guessing that the motherboard must be the problem but games do run perfectly fine, I've never done anything to the mobo (except the LED swap). The only problem is that the bottom screen just doesnt show the picture correctly...any help or solutions?

well, if your ood at soldering, the NDS has all of the test points labeled, and you could solder your H-Sync wire to the zif connector to ensure that its getting a good ceonnection

All Sigs Made by ME!

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 02:39:01 PM »
Problem: The variable resistors are set to the wrong resistance.

Solution: DSL doesn't even need to be opened up. Flip the DSL over, with the battery compartment on the right side. Open up the battery compartment and you should see 2 little holes below the battery through the case with little screws in them. Take a small screw driver and turn the screw on the right (There's two, pick the one on the right) clockwise or counter-clockwise until the screen stops flickering and isn't gray anymore.

Problem solved!

Offline Tri-edge

• I found Nemo!!
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +4/-0
  • Azure knight
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
How did you find this out?

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »
By messing with those variable resistors today on my DSL I'm modding and realizing it screws with the screens. It increases or decreases the flicker and gray-ness. Lmao.
The left one is the top screen and the right one is the bottom screen.

It's not the touch screen it's the physical screens themselves.

Offline pwarsknightsp

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 06:41:56 PM »
Problem: The variable resistors are set to the wrong resistance.

Solution: DSL doesn't even need to be opened up. Flip the DSL over, with the battery compartment on the right side. Open up the battery compartment and you should see 2 little holes below the battery through the case with little screws in them. Take a small screw driver and turn the screw on the right (There's two, pick the one on the right) clockwise or counter-clockwise until the screen stops flickering and isn't gray anymore.

Problem solved!
PspKicks...you just made my f*cking day, seriously. (Sorry for the language.) I sincerely thank you and everyone else who had posted advice. The ds works again like a charm! I'll definitely remember this.  And I was sitting here thinking I'm curse after my xbox, comp, mouse, door, glasses, etc., broke. Now I'm just ecstatic to be able to cross off my ds lite off the need to fix list...even though my new processor came in today and my comp is still not working...This turn of events really made my day. Thanks!!!

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 07:07:11 PM »
Anytime :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal