Author Topic: swapping processor in a laptop. Need some help  (Read 1325 times)

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
swapping processor in a laptop. Need some help
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »
so im working on multiple things.. one of them is the psp and another is a laptop mod for my girl for xmas.

Ive gotten a used laptop from a friends father and was planing on striping it apart for scap uses. The HDD is of course dead LEGIT. bad sector and scratch disc i checked.
My girl has been buggin me about her wanting a laptop. So ive deside to bring the laptop back to life.

I want to dec it out with new things i went a head and gotten a new HDD 120gig for less then $70 and wanted to install windows7 but knowtist the processor is a celeron M processor.. im guessing 1.66ghz prcessor and 728mb RAM which i will upgrade to 1gig
Minimum requirement for windows7 is 1gig RAM and 1ghz processor.

But i had a friend not to long ago droped off a very broken gateway (lighting stricks and it fried the board and power unit) checked it out it had Intel inside Dualcore (2.00ghz or something) and 2gig RAM

i want to know if i can swap out the celeron processor for the dualcore and flash the BIOS.. Also... will i need to swap the RAM?(old:DDR 333 PC2700 new:DDR PC4200)

I have some experiance with computer and swaping parts for new. but this is something alittle different cause im swaping the processor. I know i need to have a static free area

The dualcore processor is fine. checked the board the power and fuse source of the board has been blown so the surge didnt hit anything cause it was shorted in the same area.

BTW

does this look burned to you

« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:18:43 PM by The End of A Heartache »
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

Offline Peewee2000

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: swapping processor in a laptop. Need some help
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:52:21 PM »
well laptops are very specific with parts, there should be a socket number if you google the two processors and if its the same the processors should be interchangable, if the ram fits in the slot it should work, and why would you want to flash the bios? Also if i were you id just stick with xp

Offline The End of A Heartache

• Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • Mr. Martinez
Re: swapping processor in a laptop. Need some help
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 07:24:23 AM »
Ok i found the socket number

Celeron M 360 1400 MHz 1024 KiB 400 MT/s 14x 1.26 V 21 W Socket 479 August 31, 2004 RH80536NC0171M

I need to find the same socket number for the laptop to function

I found this in my packrat box off an old laptop board i had laying around.

Celeron M 370 1500 MHz 1024 KiB 400 MT/s 15x 1.004/1.292 V 21 W Socket 479 January 2005 RH80536NC0211M
Yeh i saw i tryied fiting the other RAM into the laptop ..the notch determines the type of RAM

a friend of mine said I might need to flash the BIOS to run the specific processor..but i dont think he knew i ment on a laptop ..i know desktop you can swap processor.. They dont have to be pecific....right?

yeh dont like XP that much...but ill stick with it if i can get this laptop working
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 08:59:41 AM by The End of A Heartache »
...emo freak out! >.< ........

random is fun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal