Author Topic: Will a new DVD drive cause LIVE ban?  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Amerikun Soljia

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
Will a new DVD drive cause LIVE ban?
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »
Firstly, I am new to Acidmods.com, so if I am posting the wrong way, or in a wrong area, I apologize.
  I have one question. I have a Halo edition xbox 360. I know that it has the Phillips & BenQ disk drive. When I was in Iraq, that drive got destroyed because of the dust and many sandstorms we had. I called Microsoft and they said that if I were to buy a new drive and install it, that once I connected to LIVE I would be banned, because the coding in the drive would be different than the one that is stored on the motherboard of the system, because Microsoft stores the code of the original disk drive there, and the code of the new disk drive would be different, therefore I would be banned for modding.
  But then, a worker at GAMESTOP told me that there is a way to change the code in the motherboard to the code of the new drive. Is there any truth to this? and what can I do to get my 360 running again withought getting banned? please email me or just reply here. I prefer email though. Nicholas.leone2@gmail.com Thanks.

y nomeni patri et fili, y spiritu sancti.

Offline Modded Matt

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +65/-3
Re: Will a new DVD drive cause LIVE ban?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
firstly welcome to acidmods.

secondly, what ms told you is half true. if you just swap the drives to wont play any disks due to the coding, but I have never heard of anyone being banned. what you must do is read the code off the drive and flash this code onto a new drive. assuming you still have the old drive, as long as you have the old one you have hope, if you dont you may as well buy a new xbox.

treemty the local xbox 360 modorator runs a shop that will do this for you for a very low fee, all you have to do is send in the drive, or I am sure you can pm him and he could posibly help walk you through this process.

good luck, and thank you

Offline Amerikun Soljia

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely pm him. I appreciate it greatly. So can you walk me through the steps? I am kind of dumb when it comes to this sort of thing. Again; thanks for all the help!

Offline jacobia jacob

• E = MC²
  • Post quality +3/-0
  • come at me bro
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 05:50:40 PM »
Disassemble the Xbox 360

there's a guide video on how to take your 360 apart. then just unplug the dvd drive and work the rest out with treemty.

Offline Amerikun Soljia

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 09:30:53 AM »
Thanks for that video, Lol, I saw it a little late, as I already tore up half the clips around the casing, lol. Thank you though, now I know how to properly take it apart. Much appreciated. So for now, I am only having problems ith my Halo Xbox. My Elite got the rings of death, so that one is currently at microsoft being repaired, sadly enough. So I have no Xbox right now, What a bummer that is....

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:01:01 AM »
I never did a BenQ.... but what i used to do when i got these type of failures was buy the exact same drive and switch out the circuit board that contains the key with the new drive and it will work.  that method worked on the samsung drives and most of the older drives, but i am not sure about the BenQ or even if it is available.  the electronics %99 of the time are fine, it is the mechanicals and lasers that die on you.

there are videos on utube about swapping dvd drive mother boards.  If it makes u nervous then by all means send it to the pros.

good luck and welcome to the forum

Offline Amerikun Soljia

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 02:49:15 AM »
Thanks Brother. Thats a lot of good info.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal