Author Topic: Xbox 360 Power Light Flashes and Brick Goes to Red.  (Read 3383 times)

Offline SkateandDestroy

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
Xbox 360 Power Light Flashes and Brick Goes to Red.
« on: January 01, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
Aright, sorry if i sound like a noob in this catagory, i Like to stick with my sony stuff  :#1: and i recently picked up a rrod 360 arcade for a smashing 5$ lol, so i tore it apart and re-thermal compounded the chips and i plugged it in, walla the xbox was alive again. So i though it was all cool and dandy so i went though over heated it like your suppost to and then let it sit over night. Next day put it together and had something planned for the day so i left it there. Now when i try to turn it on the Middle power led Blinks really fast one single time and then the power brick goes from yellow to red. So i unplugged it and tryed again. No luck. Id really like to play some xbox since i dont have any next gen councils and its a bummer i dont know what to do. Its not a bad power brick either, i use it with my friends xbox all the time. Weve tryed alot but anyadvice is appreciated. Thankss :hifive:

Offline moeiscool

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
Re: Xbox 360 Power Light Flashes and Brick Goes to Red.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »
maybe your xbox is a different wattage number?
that PSU might be for a 360 that uses little power and your xbox might be a xbox that uses more than that PSU can supply

Post Merge: January 01, 2010, 03:02:57 PM
if you do not have a PSU to test i suggest make one out of a PC power supply if your confident with what your doing

the 12v must give a minimum of 20 amps
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 03:02:57 PM by moeiscool »
PLEASE DONT USE REFERRAL BANNERS IN YOUR SIG
Signed
Mac

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:08:41 PM »
good chance its shorting somewhere, take it all apart and reassemble. Theres a very good chance you forgot to put the plastic washers where the heat sinks go, so the heat sinks are shorting the mobo. make sure when you put the screws in, the order is, from the bottom of the xbox mobo, is the order of:

screw, metal washer, plastic washer, motherboard, plastic washer, metal washer, then attach to the heat sinks. any conductivity will cause a short.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline whuthefxk

• King of the Wii-tards
  • Post quality +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 05:00:04 PM »
you definitely have a short somewhere. check to make sure there isnt any loose metal (i.e. a dropped extra washer) laying around as it can short it.
MY CONSOLE LIST:

-1 PS   )                -1 GameCube
-1 PS2 (fa              -2 OG Gameboys
-1 PS2 (slim           -2 color gameboys -1 PS3                   -1 GBA -5 PSP                   -1 Gameboy SP -1 iPod TOUCH                   -2 NDS w/r4 -1 iPod video 5g                 -1 Wii -1 iPod nano (2-1g)(1-3g)    -1 Sega Genisis -2 NES                             -1 Atari Lynx -1 Gameboy micro

Offline SkateandDestroy

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Thanks Guys i'm going to try some of this stuff tonight. I appreciate the help=)

Post Merge: January 01, 2010, 06:04:17 PM
Aright, ughh still no game, i stripped it down and try to run it just the mother board and it still just flashed. I reassembled everything and it still flashes also. I redid the xclamps and everthing this time. Any more ideas?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 06:04:17 PM by SkateandDestroy »

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »
Your power supply is the correct one, or it wouldn't even fit. Moe was way off.

Try it with a different power supply to see if yours is dead.

Offline jrfhoutx

• The Long-Winded One
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Around the block
  • Post quality +35/-8
  • Dōmo, Konnichiwa, :censored:es...
    • Misadventures in Mediocrity and Modding
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 07:11:39 PM »
A red light on your power brick is telling you that there is a problem preventing it from delivering power to your console. the three main causes of this issue are: overheating, incorrect voltage, and excessive current draw.

Now I assume that this is an un-modded console since you just got it, so that is out as a cause of excessive current draw. Now, since you have rechecked your washers and have the plastic ones in the correct places preventing a short there, that is out as well. I would recommend checking all the wires inside the console (fan cables, DVD cables and all other connections to make sure there are no shorts there. I also recommend check the USB ports to make sure there is no damage to any of them causing a short there (this is a common problem in un-modded consoles).

Now, assuming that none of these are the issue, it could possibly be an overheating issue. Make sure that your power supply is in a cool well ventilated area. kicks is right, if that's the power supply that came with the system then it's not possible for it to be and incompatible power supply, especially if that power supply worked with the box prior to the RROD problems. and the fuse is not blown either if the power supply shows a yellow light when plugged into the wall  but not the console.

also, over or under application of thermal compound can create overheating issues, so check your thermal paste application, normally poor heat transfer (due to improperly applied thermal compound) will throw a 2RROD, but it is entirely possible that the chips are overheating and not throwing the RROD.

also check that you did not over-tighten the heat sink screws and short them out on another component and also check to make sure that the mobo is not making contact with the metal casing in any areas, I've heard of that causing the same issue.
AcidMods Ninja... You won't know I'm there until you're gone...

All of these sigs are from the original acidmods sig comp...  @jrfhoutx  "No respect, no respect at all... that's the story of my life." --

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »
You CAN get a 150W PSU to power a 203W xbox, you just need to break off a plastic piece in the 360's power connector.

BUT don't do it unless you have to or are to cheap to buy the correct PSU, you will starve the system of power, especially a 203 with a 175 psu.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 05:55:03 PM »
BUT don't do it unless you have to or are to cheap to buy the correct PSU, you will starve the system of power, especially a 203 with a 175 psu.
99% chance it won't turn on.

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
wanna bet?
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
So you're lucky.

Do NOT use a power supply lower than the rating for your 360.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:12:15 PM by FreeK »

Offline SN!P3R

• Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-10
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:00:14 PM »
I didn't say I was right did I? but it works, and again, I HIGHLY recomend against doing that.
BEST 360 MODDING
HELP OUR ECONOMY!

360 MASHUP THREAD

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 02:17:06 PM »
Not to clutter up the thread, but we can go back on topic now.

Someone can delete mine and Moe's posts if need be. I'm getting tired of people giving wrong information then yelling at me when I tell them it's wrong.

On topic, hey Skate did you ever get this working?

Offline moeiscool

• Ω Allumnist Ω
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 04:41:47 PM »
i to would like to know if you got it to work
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 06:50:26 PM by FreeK »
PLEASE DONT USE REFERRAL BANNERS IN YOUR SIG
Signed
Mac

Offline PspKicks316

• Acidmods Alumni
  • Mad Bomber
  • Post quality +5/-4
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »
Actually it was wrong. The power supplies are forwards compatible, not backwards compatible. For example, you can't use a 175w or 150w psu with a 203w Xbox 360. You essentially told him he could and might be doing that.

You have to physically mod the power supply plug on the 360 to allow a lower wattage psu to fit. Even if you do that, that doesn't mean it'll work.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:53:51 PM by PspKicks316 »

Offline SkateandDestroy

• Chief squatting Hard
  • Post quality +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
lol no its still sitting here, id like to have it fixed but its just not working

Offline DARk_ANGEL

• Acidmods Rocks!!!
  • E = MC²
  • Post quality +5/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 06:39:20 PM »
make sure everything is in place and check and see if any thing is touching the board.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal