Author Topic: The Sega Dreamcast...  (Read 869 times)

Offline LunaBerry

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Acidmods User
The Sega Dreamcast...
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:00:24 PM »
every think what could have been?

the graphics were great when it first came out and it was the first home console to have a built in modem.

What I'm getting at is what do you guys think would have happend if sega continued to make consoles. would they continue to be ahead of the game.

I personally think that because they were early pioneers in online gaming  they would have superior functionally with online games, had they made more consoles.

btw I think the dreamcast had some pretty rockin games

Offline N.W.A4LIFE

• Motor Mouth
  • Post quality +1/-0
  • Acidmods User
Re: The Sega Dreamcast...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »
The prob with the dreamcast was that sega had a bad name by the time it came it out.SO many canceled systems,and when they finally make a good one, nobody trusted it,and when word of the ps2 went around, people pretty much said screw it.
I think It would be nice to see fmore sega systems, but honsetly they wont last with a new system. It would not be able to compete against Nintendo for sure becuase of all of its exclusive games.
But me myself, I think of the 360 as a sega of this time

Offline 802Chives

• Sargeant at Arms
  • Acidmods Alumni
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +10/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 06:39:01 AM »
dreamcast was way ahead of its time... wasnt the main reason it failed was that there was no piracy protection?  Just rip and burn games like music, no way for sega to update the console like todays consoles.

Dreamcast was a great console, and sega did a lot of the dirty work showing what not to do for the big 3 today.  From a conusmer standpoint dreamcast was ace, however as a manufacturer it effectively killed sega.

Offline ryan0

• I EAT STUFF
  • Millennium Poster
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • I LIEK CHEEEEZE
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »
That's right Chives,they didn't have any piracy protection whatsoever.

The dreamcast was an excellent console capability-wise,but the games cost copious amounts of money,and the console itself cost the modern day equivalent of 1500$.Also not many people used the internet back then,and if they did it was EXTREMELY expensive.....and slow.
If the dreamcast had been cheaper and release before the word of the PS2 came out,they could have DESTROYED sony,but the timing was wrong,console was too expensive,games were too expensive,it wasn't well advertised,timing was wrong,and it all added up to FAIL.

I remember when I used to live in Dublin,when the dreamcast came out,game shops stopped stocking the console,games or anything else to do with the console,they had ordered 100 consoles in and in 5 days not one console or game was sold.
Derp.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal