Author Topic: Alecto Model EQ-1200 Equalizer  (Read 7609 times)

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
Alecto Model EQ-1200 Equalizer
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:28:34 PM »
I found this ancient equalizer in my nan's basement. I'd like to built in an Amplifier that draws power from the equalizer and make a docking station for my psp with some badass speakers.

Here are some pictures of the shell + innards, looks awesome imho!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:16:48 AM by Nefarius »

Offline froggy

• SAN ANTO'S CUSTOM CHEVY'S
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Green Mexican
Re: Alecto Model EQ-1200 Equalizer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 12:32:25 PM »
That Would Be Awesome, Keep Us Informed
ITS TIME FOR IGNITION, AND STRAIGHT AUTOMOBILE PIMPIN!

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
  • Electronics Expert Electrical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
When ship happens then...

...this is some crazy ship

Lol this was top of the line electronics back then.

Follow my Instagram and subscribe to my YouTube

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 01:30:34 PM »
So after sooking it all in, I came up with some ideas.

First off I think I'll make a wooden exterior of some plywood and cover that with some foam + fabric to give it a cool feel to it. As for the speakers..... I don't know yet. FOOKz is working on a little something of his own that has caught my attention, especially now. Don't ask me what it is, either you heard of it or you didn't. I'll try to make some sketches on paper and scan them in. Thats it for now!

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 03:52:49 PM »
The secret is... I am building a super small Power MOSFET transistor amplifier with digital volume control and digital balance control.

Its about the size of 4 beer cans in a 2x2 configuration.

The 150 Watt power supply that i have currently designed is only the size of a wallet and dissipates a ton of heat with a total output of 88 Volts DC RMS; respectively +44volts, Common, and -44volts.

Heat pipes transfer the residual energy to a central laptop CPU cooling fan. (hot enough to fry and egg)

Were looking to put these projects together in one, a stereo-amplifier-mixer-equalizer all in one unit.

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 04:28:32 PM »
Alrighty! Drawn the part which holds the psp in place. Its based on a Piranha docking station that I had (only for a phat) and based my model on that.

The docking station will also power the psp & have an audio jack so that its auto connected to the system. I'll try to figure out what the lay out of the EQ-1200 is so that I can start drawing up a power supply so the psp will charge via the extra mini usb port which I'm planning to hook up. Since I won't have an AC Jack I'm going to place it there.

Well the photo should speak for itself I think. Pretty basic drawing tbh.

Edit: Ghehe I need to make a photobucket account :P, anyway here's the rest of the Pinouts
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:19:22 AM by Nefarius »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
I already have a USB charger Device Designed.

If you Check the Public R&D section, take a look at my solar powered USB charger. All as you have to do is replace the solar cell with a transformer a bridge rectifier and some 4700uF capacitors.

I can draw up another schematic if you need me too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 04:44:22 PM by FOOKz »

Offline froggy

• SAN ANTO'S CUSTOM CHEVY'S
  • Granny Spanker
  • Post quality +2/-0
  • Green Mexican
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 04:40:05 PM »
Man Ppl Here Are Creative,
I Wish One Day Ill Have Yall Knowledge
ITS TIME FOR IGNITION, AND STRAIGHT AUTOMOBILE PIMPIN!

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
@Froggy

Well I have the ideas & FOOKz the knowledge of electronics.

@FOOKz

I had a look at the solar usb charge mod of yours, it will defo work, but I still need to figure out how everything is wired on the EQ. Like you said:"I googled it and found a japanese satelite"

Also I don't want to overload you with work. I mean yer already working on my OP Amps and on all your projects, but if you want to do it. I won't stop you. I'll be more on the executive end then I guess xD

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
Dude it doesn't matter. I got a whiteboard with all my projects that need done on it in my work room.

I re-arrange them via priority, something like this, usually it isn't top because i have customers call me for mods. and they are always first.

This is something I do on my down time else I'm out of the workroom.

Right now i have nothing to do.

I can churn out an equalizer schematic right out of my head now. But it takes quite a bit of math. An equalizer is a series of Band-Pass filters, a bunch of capacitors and coils set at certain resonant frequencies.

Here is a Schematic drawing for the 5 Volt Charger power supply:
The power supply at the top half is for powering non-essentials like LEDs or Digital Circuits to control the volume.

The bottom Half is for charging USB devices.

EDIT:
Could you do me a favor Nefarius and take up close photos of the input and outputs on the equalizer...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 06:22:31 PM by FOOKz »

Offline Nefarius

• ♪♪♪ Tone deff ♪♪♪
  • Post quality +0/-0
  • Then he was like RAWR!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:09:01 AM »
I'll need to study that schematic for a bit, because its a bit to advance to my liking. Not a big prob though.

I made the photo's this afternoon, making them a bit detailed with some info regarding the pinouts & wire connections. I'll make a Flickr account to be able to upload all of them onto AM. It'll be a while since I don't provide half info on anything!

Edit: .... Its a transistor pack, now I understand it XD

Post Merge: February 14, 2010, 11:26:40 AM
Oh yeah FOOKz since yer on the whole "Fry an egg on it" tour, I was thinking "Water Cooling". No?

Might aswell make it one hell of a stereo-amplifier-mixer-equalizer all in one thingamajig!

And my Granddad has some nice speakers laying around I can use. Booyah! Nothing better then a no cost mod xD Well... Almost :P

Edit: Uhm the charger mod that will be incorperated into the EQ Mod will draw its power from a 230V supply, not 10V that is used in your diagram. Or am I not correct?

Post Merge: February 15, 2010, 06:42:20 PM
Ripped open that Piranha docking station when I realised it had a circuit board in it already which does the 230V to 5V switch, don't know if I can hook it up since it used a different cable output.

I think it should be possible, cause then I'll just hook it up to the power jack of the EQ.

Oh and about the Solar mod you did FOOKz, using your layout of that USB cable, I came to the conclusion that I just need to solder the 5V to my Positive pin & the Common to my ground pin?

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:46:17 PM by Nefarius »

Offline FOOKz™

• Hardware Modder
  • E = MC² Mad Scientist
  • Post quality +37/-2
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
Oh yes i forgot that you guys over there use 240 volts at 50Hz

We use 120 volts at 60Hz

I can re design the circuit easily to compensate designs for both types of electricity. No problem.

And that brick thing, is not a transistor pack, its a bunch of rectifier diodes connected in a "wheat stone" fashion. -- that "flips" one half of the AC wave to a different polarity thus creating "pulsating DC" at twice the frequency.

Usually the Bridge rectifier diodes come in one standard component with mounting brackets and everything (because its pretty big to handle high power loads). There are the AC inputs and (+) (-) labeled on the package:

You can tell the similarities in the schematics.
- The capacitors are to help fill out the gaps in the wave produced by the rectifier.
- The 7808 (8 volt)Regulator just dissipates heat generated before it enters the 7805 (5 volt regulator). Three regulators are paralleled in both stages because of high current output is expected.
- The Inductors are just coils of wire that act like a short to DC but an open to AC.
- Capacitors are the exact opposite of coils, they look like a short to AC but an open to DC.
-----------------------------
The reason why the Fuse on the Primary of the is smaller than the one on the secondary of the transformer are different since a transformer trades Volts for Amps, but Watts stays the same Its equally protected on both sides just in case the transformer malfunctions somehow, there's always equal protection on both sides of it.
-------------------------------
Those photos you posted are absolutely pro dude. Im starting to understand how your equalizer's physiology works. Hope to reverse engineer it tonight.

EDIT: does your house use 240 Volt 3-Phase AC... or Normal 240 Volt Single Phase AC?

I need to know it determines what kind of transformer it will have to use.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 01:48:30 PM by FOOKz »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal